IGNORED

Dean Holden on Sounds of the City Monday night

Never to the dark side

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

A couple of things bugged me a little bit about his attention to detail, for example not knowing if we had an option on Mawson; I'd expect the head coach to be across that kind of detail, especially as the deal was very recently completed. It may demonstrate that he is 100% focused on being head coach and isn't going to get as involved in that side of things, perhaps... or it's just a reality that he will make some errors as he learns/grows into the job.

Or perhaps Holden has read on here that he’s only got a 12 month contract - so he’s not bothered about next season ? 

1 hour ago, glen humphries said:

I think it’s really obvious dean has realised how much Johnson’s buzz words and bull shit used to piss people off , I was totally against his appointing but I really want him to do well, he’s coming across really well and there’s no doubting his passion for the club, he’s also a fantastic human ?

I think it really used to piss Deano off. He probably spent most of his coaching time trying to translate LJs technospeak into something the players could understand.

9 hours ago, Prinny said:

No. That's untrue. I don't moan about anything and everything. Your dishonesty is pointless. It really just hurts the forum as a whole. Lying about what people say and do adds nothing.

It was well made agreed. But it was hardly bamboozling. It's a light joke at his term and then what he came out with. He might have incredible tactical knowledge. I certainly wouldn't describe what he came out with as that though. So it is demeaning to the idea that that would bamboozle us, but that's not demeaning Dean Holden the man. You can criticise someones ideas without criticising the person.

Why do you fear me being out of step? Am I cynical if we use its meaning of sceptical? Yes. The alternative is blind faith. Zealotry. I think everyone should be sceptical and most people are. That's not out of step. And if it is, I'm not bothered by being out of step. That's not a problem for me if the step is a viewpoint where you can't be critical of anything.

I want him to do well. but that doesn't mean I like everything he does. For you, saying anything critical is not being behind him? For me I'm very different. I think you can definitely support someone while being critical of them.

I'm actually quite positive on him and where we're going, I'm more positive the more I hear. I think I made 5 things I liked directly from what he said and 3 I didn't. And there was nothing I didn't like when he talked about football which is the thing I really care about. I liked the point about the three centre halves, I didn't like that he thought it might bamboozle supporters. That's all.

I took it that he was avoiding getting too technical, so to avoid “bamboozling” listeners he simplified by saying what he actually said. I don’t think he was implying that what he actually said was going to be too much for anyone.

I heard it for the first time this morning and was genuinely impressed with how Deano interviewed.

He across in an open manner, at least as open as he could be without breaking any confidences. 

It wasn’t the usual stuff you hear from newly appointed mangers. A nice refreshing change.

21 hours ago, Leveller said:

You haven’t actually addressed the issue you quoted. People are beginning to feel that DH may be a good appointment after all; on the other hand there is very little credit being given to the people who appointed him. We don’t know if he’ll be successful, but if he is, perhaps some of the venom towards the board will eventually be withdrawn. It will be interesting to see.

I haven't seen people say "A couple of cosy interviews have changed my mind on Dean Holden and I now think he's a better appointment than Chris Hughton". It's more "Dean sounds like a great guy, I really want him to do well because he sounds like a top man. Our transfers have been good and I'm looking forward to seeing how the team functions."

People's annoyance with the board was the way they went about the recruitment process, including the comms. Even Steve Lansdown admitted they could've handled this better.

The proof will ultimately be in the results, if he gets us top 6 then the board will deserve credit for seeing the potential in DH.

Just like with Holden, the Johnson appointment divided opinion.

But IIRC though some, quite a few in fact, people found LJ's approach and the way he spoke, at the start, refreshing, exciting and interesting. Innovative.

In the end, these things were used against him as ultimately the walk didn't back up the talk enough.

I wonder if the reaction to DH is as much a reaction to what we became used to with LJ.

Again, as others have already said, talk is cheap and i'll be giving credit to the board if DH goes on to take us into the top 6 with the attacking football he has spoken about in his interviews.

7 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Just like with Holden, the Johnson appointment divided opinion.

But IIRC though some, quite a few in fact, people found LJ's approach and the way he spoke, at the start, refreshing, exciting and interesting. Innovative.

In the end, these things were used against him as ultimately the walk didn't back up the talk enough.

I wonder if the reaction to DH is as much a reaction to what we became used to with LJ.

Again, as others have already said, talk is cheap and i'll be giving credit to the board if DH goes on to take us into the top 6 with the attacking football he has spoken about in his interviews.

To be fair, if anything I thought Holden's appointment united opinion - that it was very strange and completely contradicted the board's messaging!

Everything else you say is spot on, though. And I think @Phileas Foggcontinues to best articulate the feeling among those wanting him to do well. Just because Dean's an impressive and likeable man and we're really willing him to be successful - and, perhaps, can even see something in him - it doesn't mean we're suddenly lauding the appointment.

That process was and remains a farce in terms of what the owner told us would happen and what actually happened. History can't be changed. And, if Holden is successful, it doesn't make his appointment a genius one.

That doesn't mean we don't really want him to do well, though.

42 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

One minute he is absolutely ridiculed and out of his depth, then next minute, after one interview he is the messiah. Lets get 10 games in before judgement

I’m not sure anyone wrote either, except you, I certainly didn’t. SL will get a season in before he passes judgement, unless we are tanking ridiculously at that point SL will pass it for you. 

8 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

To be fair, if anything I thought Holden's appointment united opinion - that it was very strange and completely contradicted the board's messaging!

Everything else you say is spot on, though. And I think @Phileas Foggcontinues to best articulate the feeling among those wanting him to do well. Just because Dean's an impressive and likeable man and we're really willing him to be successful - and, perhaps, can even see something in him - it doesn't mean we're suddenly lauding the appointment.

That process was and remains a farce in terms of what the owner told us would happen and what actually happened. History can't be changed. And, if Holden is successful, it doesn't make his appointment a genius one.

That doesn't mean we don't really want him to do well, though.

Yes absolutely - I think one common thought of every City fan, on either side of the argument over his appointment, is that they like and respect and want him to do well. 

As I’ve said before, I like what I’ve heard from him so far, but as always, some people are getting very carried away - proof is in the pudding. 

I think after months of speculation and debate, what we all need is the ******* football to start again!! 

Hopefully the PR team don't get their grubby hands on him.

I liked the fact that he nearly dropped a couple of F-Bombs on live radio. 

I also liked his emotional maturity and the way he man-manages the players.

And you've got to love his down to earth approach. 

All this ten games in and we'll make a judgement is actually a crock of horse manure. Almost every season in this recent Championship stint, we've had good runs and awful runs. We can easily get off to a flyer be second at Christmas and then capitulate to mid-table mediocrity.

I'll measure the achievement at the end of the season. My expectation is Top 6, because that is the board's expectation. 

16 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Yes absolutely - I think one common thought of every City fan, on either side of the argument over his appointment, is that they like and respect and want him to do well. 

As I’ve said before, I like what I’ve heard from him so far, but as always, some people are getting very carried away - proof is in the pudding. 

I think after months of speculation and debate, what we all need is the ******* football to start again!! 

As I said earlier in the thread... Just needs to win some games now. Easy. ?

Absolute cracking interview, should be able to get it still on BBC sounds, I am beginning to like Dean Holden more and more!

We do need plain speaking and one of the major issues before was over thinking and over tinkering. I like it when he said all the data and stuff is all well and good, but lets keep it simple and get them playing football, it the same game as the one we played in the past - A very fair point, If he can simply unclutter the players minds we will be in a better place then before. 

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

One minute he is absolutely ridiculed and out of his depth, then next minute, after one interview he is the messiah. Lets get 10 games in before judgement

It is human nature to make swift, snap judgements, about all manner of things. As you yourself will have done about Deano, whether you put it on here for others to see or not. 

DH comes across really well. I think we as fans can really relate to his open and honest approach. I didn’t want DH at all but I do really want it to work out for him. He seems like a top bloke but ultimately the proof is in the pudding. Being a nice bloke doesn’t guarantee results.

Its good to see that the majority appear to be behind him. I think with the way he has conducted himself and the shrewd business in the transfer market, he has already began to win over the support of the majority. The whole point about going down the 3 lions was good, but whilst it will earn respect from some fans for doing this he had to be judged on results. 

Lastly, his point about NE was good. Firstly because he thinks he can get the best out of NE in a more central role. Secondly because he is quite clear in how he wants to play and the system we will be using. I like the clarity this brings.

It’s clear DH has some great ideas. Let’s hope he can implement them when it matters. Best of luck to him.

12 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

A whole 10 games. Come on. You and I know we won’t get till half time in the first game without some on here making there mind up that he’s pants and should never have been appointed blah blah blah

Archived