IGNORED

Iceland V England

Red Army 75

23 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

A lot of the games ive seen under him, we have been very lucky to win.

And its not been down to his tactics.

I mean how lucky, were we to beat colombia, and tunsia at the last world cup?

You could also say he very, very lucky to get the top job in english football.

Do you think he was lucky to get that job?

Think he was lucky to get job due to circumstances. However seeing as we have given job to others on merit as it hasn’t worked anywhere near as well, I wouldn’t worry about that now.

The Tunisia game we were all over them first half. Only a stupid penalty gave Tunisia a goal - England were decent enough and deserved win although it came late.

Columbia was average but finally won a penalty shoot out so England finally got some luck. I think you have to say well done for finally getting England to win one.

I don’t think he is amazing but also he’s much better than your Cappello’s or Roy Hodgsons. Gives youth a chance and England are just, in my mind, a decent CB and holding midfielder away from having a really good team.

22 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Even when we equalised, against scotland in the last minute?

Or when we beat the likes of lithuania, and slovakia, and slovenia by 1 goal?

You will always get games where big teams win narrowly - France beat Iceland 1-0 away last year with a penalty. Same as we did. I doubt they are too worried. 

Truth is that although Southgate isn’t amazing, generally England are much more watchable, the players actually look like they care about playing and youth gets a chance now. Can’t see why you would want to go back to what we’ve seen since around 1998 over that. 

42 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

You said we smashed them, we didnt, we were lucky and won narrowly.

Why 1998, why dont we go back to 1996, when we did smash teams, and play good football.

Whats 1998 got to do with anything, if i think southgates, lucky, and plays boring football?

Generally in last qualifying group we did smash them? Even the WC winners win only 1-0 every now and again.

96-98 if you want - it was all good. We were very unlucky not to get by Argentina in 98 and played well. You could argue in 96 we only played well v Holland and Germany. Switzerland, Scotland and Spain wasn’t great. You can’t play great every game.

You seem to have a massively unfair agenda against a guy who has actually got England fans excited about watching their country again. Odd. 

42 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Not 1 of those teams outplayed us at euro 96.

And if people are excited about watching games like that last night, then blimey.

The truth is, every time we have come up against a really good team under him, we have come second best.

Is that not the case?

That was the worst game to watch since Southgate came in, but tbf was down to Iceland’s tactics. No one is saying they want to watch games like that, the rest have been pretty good.

Its a bit of a nostalgic myth that the 96 team were so great, it was great being able to rewatch it during lockdown and we didn’t play that well in some of the games. Gazza scores THAT goal against Scotland but was anonymous otherwise in the game for example.

98 we were decent, got through a tough qualifying group with Italy and really Beckham let us down getting sent off unfortunately.

02 we were lucky to qualify, but had a pretty good tournament. 04 I still think we had potential to win if Rooney doesn’t get injured and then it went downhill from there.

Ive always watched England, il go out of my way to make sure I see a game as much as I would a City game and this is the best football we’ve played since 06 IMO. He’s got young, hungry players playing for the shirt and keeping their egos in check. He got rid of most of the old boys club type players.

It’s not perfect, there’s been some disappointing results but all in all I think he’s doing a decent job and I certainly won’t be making any judgements based on that Iceland game. I’d love to see what happens if we face a Germany/Spain/Italy/Brazil in a competitive game but look what we did to Spain in their own back yard

Come back if Denmark is as dire to watch, though also remember this is a pretty weak squad by our current standards.

5 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

How can thrashing, holland, and beating scotland in the manner we did be a nostalgic myth?

Even when we drew 0 0 with spain, was a great game.

You say there has been disapointing results, too right.

I dont need to come back about the denmark game being dire, il go on record here now saying it will be.

Holland was impressive, struggled against Switzerland and if the pen goes in against Scotland could have been a different game

Spain was entertaining but again, struggled and won on pens.

Germany was a good game, we showed up for that though I’d question any footballer that couldn’t show up with that noise at Wembley backing them!

I think home advantage played a big part. I really hope the Euros this year can take place as it was meant to and with a crowd, will be a real shame if not.

5 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I quite like Southgate as manager.

He isn't afraid to give debuts or time to young players unlike others before him.

We were lucky with the draw in the World Cup but played some very good football and came unstuck through inexperience against Croatia in my view. He got the team to the Nations League finals and we were beaten by better teams - no disgrace there and plenty of experience gained.

The Iceland game looked abysmal due to the tactics of Iceland and a lot of teams struggle there, its almost a case of who scores first wins (barring THAT game of course).

I'm happy to give him at least until the next World Cup to get the best he can out of what we've got.

Also we should have gone 2-0 up in Croatia game when Kane hit the post from a yard out - very fine margins 

16 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Marcus, do you think you are being rather naive, to expect a good game against denmark with the premiership around the corner?

Even iceland played mostly reserves yesterday.

Do you think it could be a pre season friendly type vibe?

Hard to tell, you could be right but there’s a tournament this summer (potentially games on home soil too) and few opportunities to play for your shirt so I’d hope that would inspire some of the ‘second string’ players that are being selected. Especially as Gareth likes to pick players who have performed for England even if out of form at club level.

It was pretty much a reserve team for us? Gomez and Dier aren’t first choice CBs, Trippier not a left back, weakened midfield.

I think the Denmark game will be more entertaining than Iceland for certain, I’ll be worried if it’s not as it can’t get much worse ?

4 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Not 1 of those teams outplayed us at euro 96.

And if people are excited about watching games like that last night, then blimey.

The truth is, every time we have come up against a really good team under him, we have come second best.

Is that not the case?

Spain outplayed us and their goal wasn’t offside - we were lucky to go through. Scotland should have been 1-1 against us - we didn’t play well. Same v Switzerland - not a great performance. 

I don’t think anyone is getting excited about last night - was dreadful but they found a way. France won away their 1-0 via a penalty too last year so clearly not an easy place to win.

No not every time - best Spain and Croatia in nations league playing great stuff. The only really important match that you could say that the tactics were lacking was 2nd half in WC semi. 

Like I said he isn’t amazing but he isn’t shite. Truth is somewhere in the middle like LJ really!

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Hard to tell, you could be right but there’s a tournament this summer (potentially games on home soil too) and few opportunities to play for your shirt so I’d hope that would inspire some of the ‘second string’ players that are being selected. Especially as Gareth likes to pick players who have performed for England even if out of form at club level.

It was pretty much a reserve team for us? Gomez and Dier aren’t first choice CBs, Trippier not a left back, weakened midfield.

I think the Denmark game will be more entertaining than Iceland for certain, I’ll be worried if it’s not as it can’t get much worse ?

It helps playing a team who leave their own box. Yes you have to break these teams down but even with 10 men they barely entered our half!

Like you say, a lot of players playing who wouldn't normally yesterday and it was disjointed to say the least.

54 minutes ago, Super said:

Are people really being critical of Southgate?! Look at the shambles England were when he took over and look at them now. Every chance we will win the Euros next year.

I would say we have a chance but certainly a lot to improve on. His tactics in the Croatia semi 2nd half and Holland nations league game let us down I think. Certainly encouraging signs there though - if we had a decent CB and holding midfielder id say we would be favourites as going forward we have a great attack. 

Overall agree from where it was to now there is no comparison. 

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Foden and Greenwood bombed out of the squad for Denmark. Moronic behaviour.

Naive and idiotic and they are now going to get a lot of flak coming their way, plus more pressure on the squad and manager, which is the last thing they need. I hope they learn from this but also hope that, given they don't seem to be able to understand and respect the sacrifices a lot of people are making at the moment in order to follow the rules, they are not selected in any further squads until the COVID crisis is under control. 

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Foden and Greenwood bombed out of the squad for Denmark. Moronic behaviour.

Such a shame. I was delighted to see the pair of them get minutes and this could set them back in their international careers. These two in particular are the sort of players who'll probably be key players for England in the next decade + so it's right Southgate treats this with seriousness. Hopefully they learn their lessons.

Just now, bris red said:

They are young lads - what do people expect. Give them a slap on the wrists and move on.. its the English press that get hold of these none storys and try and ruin player’s careers, how many times have we seen it over the years.

Yes maybe we should expect idiotic behaviour.

3 minutes ago, bris red said:

They are young lads - what do people expect. Give them a slap on the wrists and move on.. its the English press that get hold of these none storys and try and ruin player’s careers, how many times have we seen it over the years.

So in your opinion elite athletes compromising their group during a global pandemic is a non story? Good grief. 

Archived