IGNORED

HIGHLIGHTS: Bristol City 2-0 Exeter City

Prinny

Things I wanted to point out now that I've had a good chance to see them multiple times and not ball watch.

Watch Taylor Moore on the two Matt Jay chances, he's still hesitant. That's the flaw I REALLY don't like in his play. I think that half second of hesitancy he has is a killer flaw and it gives a lot of chances to the opposition. In contrast to that, WHAT a pass to Fam. He has his qualities, but also clear weaknesses. 

Jack Hunt in space is quality, and it shows why he got his move to the Prem all those years ago. He'd still be there if he didn't lose that pace.

Look how different Semenyo is in terms of body language and effort to when we last saw him. On his goal he's involved so much, just watch him even from the throw in. Pointing moving, head up, looking around, goes back into midfield and shows for the pass back, then keeps trying to get into space. He then goes all the way over to the other side of the pitch, to get involved more, beats the player (way too easily mind) has his shot, keeps following play, more movement, points, effort to get across the goal and scores. If this is what he delivers for 60-90 minutes, I don't think I want to loan him out.

I said this last season when seeing him vs League 2 players but look at Bakinson. I know we're not the biggest team, but he's a monster and he's a really exciting player for me.

1 minute ago, Prinny said:

Jack Hunt in space is quality, and it shows why he got his move to the Prem all those years ago. He'd still be there if he didn't lose that pace.

Jack Hunt looks quality again cause he is in the position that suits him the most, and he has always looked far more effective in that position before rather than the times he has played at full back. The defensive responsibility has been taken away from him somewhat so he can focus on what he does best, stretching the play by hugging the sideline, delivering good crosses and providing assists.

Both he and Dasilva have always looked far more effective at wing back, the times we have played with them at full back we have seen players able to cause trouble and get in behind them despite them showing moments of brilliance with the ball and going forward.

Always thought Hunt got a lot of underserved flack on here. It was always clear that he was a far more effective wing back than full back, and the huge defensive responsibilities of a full back didn’t suit him. 

Well done to Holden as well for addressing this.

5 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Things I wanted to point out now that I've had a good chance to see them multiple times and not ball watch.

Watch Taylor Moore on the two Matt Jay chances, he's still hesitant. That's the flaw I REALLY don't like in his play. I think that half second of hesitancy he has is a killer flaw and it gives a lot of chances to the opposition. In contrast to that, WHAT a pass to Fam. He has his qualities, but also clear weaknesses. 

Look how different Semenyo is in terms of body language and effort to when we last saw him. On his goal he's involved so much, just watch him even from the throw in. Pointing moving, head up, looking around, goes back into midfield and shows for the pass back, then keeps trying to get into space. He then goes all the way over to the other side of the pitch, to get involved more, beats the player (way too easily mind) has his shot, keeps following play, more movement, points, effort to get across the goal and scores. If this is what he delivers for 60-90 minutes, I don't think I want to loan him out.

I said this last season when seeing him vs League 2 players but look at Bakinson. I know we're not the biggest team, but he's a monster and he's a really exciting player for me.

I don’t know if this shows up on the highlights, but I think Massengo showed several examples of how good positioning can save you having to dive into tackles. There were several times where the player with the ball had to check back, because he had cut out his forward options. Yes players at a higher level may be able to work around him but it’s an example of how far ahead he is than lots of teenagers.

7 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Jack Hunt looks quality again cause he is in the position that suits him the most, and he has always looked far more effective in that position before rather than the times he has played at full back. The defensive responsibility has been taken away from him somewhat so he can focus on what he does best, stretching the play by hugging the sideline, delivering good crosses and providing assists.

Both he and Dasilva have always looked far more effective at wing back, the times we have played with them at full back we have seen players able to cause trouble and get in behind them despite them showing moments of brilliance with the ball and going forward.

Always thought Hunt got a lot of underserved flack on here. It was always clear that he was a far more effective wing back than full back, and the huge defensive responsibilities of a full back didn’t suit him. 

Well done to Holden as well for addressing this.

If the club explained it better people would be much more positive about Holden. he's identified a formation to suit the majority of our players, and is recruiting to it. It's basic but a vast improvement of the scatter gun approach we had before.

He gets flack because in a 1v1 situation he gets exposed. There will still be examples of this in the wing back role, but it's a formation that better mitigates that flaw. Often people will say Jack Hunt should not be playing and that's not a criticism of him, but a criticism of the manager for putting him in those positions/signing him to play those positions when you can see his weaknesses.

3 minutes ago, Prinny said:

If the club explained it better people would be much more positive about Holden. he's identified a formation to suit the majority of our players, and is recruiting to it. It's basic but a vast improvement of the scatter gun approach we had before.

He gets flack because in a 1v1 situation he gets exposed. There will still be examples of this in the wing back role, but it's a formation that better mitigates that flaw. Often people will say Jack Hunt should not be playing and that's not a criticism of him, but a criticism of the manager for putting him in those positions/signing him to play those positions when you can see his weaknesses.

The scatter gun approached up on us and started around November last year. It is still early days and I sincerely hope Holden can come up with the goods.

27 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Which is why I’ve long thought he could be played in front of the back three/four as a defensive midfielder.

Then, somebody behind him to mop up. 

5 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Holden takes charge for the first time in a competitive match?? ? 

I think it s lazy editing. I think originally it was first time in charge as permanent coach in a competitive game, but it got abridged and now, as you say, is clearly wrong. I’m blaming the editor, not the writer for this one. 

Good intelligent movement by Semenyo...actually creating angles to receive a pass and coming for the ball. Plus draws players to create space to switch play.

Much more effeçtive, than constantly trying to turn players on the shoulder, expecting a ball on a dime into a space that is often occupied already...which we saw too much of last season.

Promising...

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

Good intelligent movement by Semenyo...actually creating angles to receive a pass and coming for the ball. Plus draws players to create space to switch play.

Much more effeçtive, than constantly trying to turn players on the shoulder, expecting a ball on a dime into a space that is often occupied already...which we saw too much of last season.

Promising...

Agreed very positive and hopefully promising. We are yet though to play the big guns in the championship. Don’t expect Semenyo to get the opportunity and the space against a classier club. I hope I’m proved incorrect.

@Prinny good evaluation of Moore. I rated him 8 with the ball, 6 defensively....7 overall.

I see some of that hesitancy down to a couple of things:

• he was the most experienced CB in the back 3 today in terms of Championship apps in that position
  • as a result I think he played it safe, not wanting to dive into anything and getting “done”.  I can forgive him that

it was first game of the season so not fully match sharp (same for all players), and I think he was conscious of it being a big chance for him with Kalas away and Baker injured.

He showed v.good confidence in possession, and strode into midfield well.

With Kalas back, I think TK provides experience and good cover, to allow TM to be more committed to his marking and challenging, especially in the side CB role.  Yesterday he was the middle CB and Bowman peeled onto him rather than Rowe (in particular).

Things to work on undoubtedly but that’s what he likes.

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Prinny good evaluation of Moore. I rated him 8 with the ball, 6 defensively....7 overall.

• he was the most experienced CB in the back 3 today in terms of Championship apps in that position
  • as a result I think he played it safe, not wanting to dive into anything and getting “done”.  I can forgive him that

it was first game of the season so not fully match sharp (same for all players), and I think he was conscious of it being a big chance for him with Kalas away and Baker injured.

With Kalas back, I think TK provides experience and good cover, to allow TM to be more committed to his marking and challenging, especially in the side CB role.  Yesterday he was the middle CB and Bowman peeled onto him rather than Rowe (in particular).

I've also noticed that when TM strides into space in midfield, ala Webster, our players in front don't seem on the front foot expecting a pass.

This happened yesterday and in the past.

They've got to move for him to receive a pass.

10 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I think after the game it is good too see far more positives than negatives so I know only L2 team but was good to watch and with so many better players, opinion, coming back a pleasing season opener 

True, but I was concerned with that first half as it seemed no different from an LJ game - no tempo, sloppy passing, lack of movement etc. The only bit of quality resulted in a goal and there was a good chance spurned by Wells (should have buried that). The distance between the front and back players was about 50 yards giving Exeter all the space they wanted.

Fair play to DH, he got them organised at half time and, as the game went on, the tempo went up, the passing improved, the movement improved (still not enough), and the pitch was compressed. I think its likely that LJ would have changed the formation or subbed a couple at half time.

2-0 was about right imo althougn Exeter are a decent side and narrowly missed promotion last season - they are not a bog standard L2 team.

It has to be remembered that yesterdays team was makeshift and with seven players to come back plus at least two new players it gives cause for optimism rather than hope.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I want to make a distinction here, between processing speed and confidence. Hesitant is accurate but I should be clearer as to WHY I think he's hesitant. I think it's more over processing than confidence. I feel you can see it in real time. He'll check the defensive line 1:48, wait for the opposition player to decide what to do 1:52 before he commits. he's thinking instead of reacting. 2:30-2:32 he's watching rather than committing. That's the difference between being tight to Matt Jay and two yards off, then Jay having space to turn, and get a shot off.

The guy behind him is the responsibility of Tommy Rowe, but I don't really want to spend time criticising a guy who's not a centre back. I don't talk about Vyner because I think Moore is better already even with his flaws and there's no real dispute over what Vyner is at the moment. I'm not ignoring what other people do to criticise him specifically. Just Moore is interesting to talk about and has a higher skill ceiling IMO.

The way Moore can improve this is to play, and gain enough understanding to stop thinking, he has to trust his team mates to do their job which is another skill which will allow him to be faster. He has to do his own job first, because doing trying to cover for others means you're doing two things badly. Thinking too much is deadly in sport. He cannot be thinking about how it's his big chance and how he needs to do two things at once while he's playing, I've seen too many players fail to fix this flaw to be confident Moore will. There's a reason there's not a bunch of very smart, very nice guys at the top of football.

Interesting how advanced, and at times taking up more central positions to support the midfield that Dasilva was. Good to see. 

Also, wouldn’t be surprised to see someone take a punt on Randell Williams from Exeter. He had a great season last year and looked like he gave us a few problems yesterday.

24 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

True, but I was concerned with that first half as it seemed no different from an LJ game - no tempo, sloppy passing, lack of movement etc. The only bit of quality resulted in a goal and there was a good chance spurned by Wells (should have buried that). The distance between the front and back players was about 50 yards giving Exeter all the space they wanted.

Fair play to DH, he got them organised at half time and, as the game went on, the tempo went up, the passing improved, the movement improved (still not enough), and the pitch was compressed. I think its likely that LJ would have changed the formation or subbed a couple at half time.

2-0 was about right imo althougn Exeter are a decent side and narrowly missed promotion last season - they are not a bog standard L2 team.

It has to be remembered that yesterdays team was makeshift and with seven players to come back plus at least two new players it gives cause for optimism rather than hope.

They had 4-5 senior players out as well who they would have pushed to play if it was a league game just for context.

31 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Great observations, will look at this going forward.  Definitely one of those things where I’d much rather be watching him live at the game than on a tv screen....si you can see the full extent of what he’s doing before the camera gets to him.

14 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Interesting how advanced, and at times taking up more central positions to support the midfield that Dasilva was. Good to see. 

Also, wouldn’t be surprised to see someone take a punt on Randell Williams from Exeter. He had a great season last year and looked like he gave us a few problems yesterday.

Thought Randell Williams looked great with the ball at his feet. Someone who can run at defenders like he can would be useful at Champ level 

Just now, underhanded said:

Thought Randell Williams looked great with the ball at his feet. Someone who can run at defenders like he can would be useful at Champ level 

Jonny Smith ?

Much better imo.

Once Dasilva had worked him out, he had him in his pocket.

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Jonny Smith ?

Much better imo.

I didn't really mean for city, just that I can see him playing at a higher level than he currently is.

Also, Dasilva may have neutralised him later on, however didn't stop him creating their best chance of the game in the first half.

Be interesting to see how Jonny Smith does at Swindon this season

1 hour ago, City oz said:

We are not. That’s the worry. Exeter come on major.

Yes we are.

Exeter was a "competitive" game because it is a game in a competition. 

There was something at stake, a place in the second round.

If a Non-League side played Liverpool in the FA Cup the match would still be a "competitive" fixture, even though what takes place on the pitch wouldn't be something you'd describe as competitive. 

13 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Jonny Smith ?

Much better imo.

Nothing unusual about that, wingers tend to effect games in spells anyway. You’d certainly hope that a player of Dasilvas calibre would get the better of him. 

2 hours ago, City oz said:

We are not. That’s the worry. Exeter come on major.

Mr Oz , I’ve supported City for over fifty years and during that time we have been beaten by Oxford , Barnet Cheltenham, Plymouth to name but a handful of clubs that we should have turned over but didn’t.

I understand that Exeter are a small fourth division club who really should have just let us win comfortably but instead gave us a game, the little rascals.

We did what we had to do without too much danger despite the lack of game time due to the fact the season hasn’t started yet and we did it with many of our first teamers on international duty or injured . 

You are such a hard fellow to please that I predict a miserable season ahead unless we win every match !

Archived