Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Team for Coventry

20 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Morrell and Massengo in the same midfield at home to Coventry would be really negative. I’d say Nagy or Morrell along with Weimann and Pato is what we’ll see on Saturday. I’d like Walsh to then replace Weimann when fit and Williams to be first choice as DMF also. 

I did consider that, I think I’d make a very defensive and somewhat boring coach. I’d like to think Pato, Fam and Wells would be enough for the goals and that team could realistically bring about a clean sheet. 

• Robin 1
1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

I did consider that, I think I’d make a very defensive and somewhat boring coach. I’d like to think Pato, Fam and Wells would be enough for the goals and that team could realistically bring about a clean sheet. 

I guess a lot depends on the roles they are given.  Morrell showed in the FA Cup game v Bolton, he’s more than capable of breaking the lines and bursting forward....so you could play him more advanced than Massengo for example.

Team selection is going to be interesting for sure! We need to get the best out of Wells and I don’t think he has clicked with Fam yet; I would start with Weimann alongside him with Martin to come off the bench. Mawson to start in Baker’s position. Brunt to give us balance on the left of the 3 in midfield. I’d like to see Morrell start (although suspect Massengo might given Morrell and Nagy have been away). I’d keep Hunt in as he played well last week. Here goes: 

Bentley 

Moore Kalas Mawson

Hunt                                     Dasilva

Paterson  Morrell  Brunt 
                   Weimann  Wells 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, eardun said:

Team selection is going to be interesting for sure! We need to get the best out of Wells and I don’t think he has clicked with Fam yet; I would start with Weimann alongside him with Martin to come off the bench. Mawson to start in Baker’s position. Brunt to give us balance on the left of the 3 in midfield. I’d like to see Morrell start (although suspect Massengo might given Morrell and Nagy have been away). I’d keep Hunt in as he played well last week. Here goes: 

Bentley 

Moore Kalas Mawson

Paterson  Morrell  Brunt 
                   Weimann  Wells 

I like that lineup, very attacking. But I feel they'd go through our midfield like butter. 

29 minutes ago, eardun said:

Bentley 

Moore Kalas Mawson

Paterson  Morrell  Brunt 
                   Weimann  Wells 

Not so sure kalas will play . Self isolating ain’t he ?  

8 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

The whole first team squad are self isolating . That’s why they had to pick a new squad to play the jocks . I think 

Kalas has had one negative test so he needs to return one more negative test and he's fine to play/train

I'm not sure Morrell and Nagy will start as they've been on international duty. Rotation is going to be key this season, with the games compressed. I'm also not sure why no one is picking Weimann in that ACM spot; Holden obviously likes him there. Massengo had a good game at the weekend so he may we'll get another run and I wonder if Brunt might come straight in or if Rowe might step into midfield alongside him? If Brunt not up to speed then perhaps one of our internationals will get a run from the start

Kalas has been away but not played so I'd think He, Moore and Mawson will be the back three, Dasilva and Hunt wing backs and Fam and Wells up front, with Martin coming off the bench

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

I'm not sure Morrell and Nagy will start as they've been on international duty. Rotation is going to be key this season, with the games compressed. I'm also not sure why no one is picking Weimann in that ACM spot; Holden obviously likes him there. Massengo had a good game at the weekend so he may we'll get another run and I wonder if Brunt might come straight in or if Rowe might step into midfield alongside him? If Brunt not up to speed then perhaps one of our internationals will get a run from the start

Kalas has been away but not played so I'd think He, Moore and Mawson will be the back three, Dasilva and Hunt wing backs and Fam and Wells up front, with Martin coming off the bench

Morrell probably will, he finished international duty on Sunday, was only playing less than 50 miles from home anyway, so no travel issues. With Williams out he is the most similar type to play there.

Interesting listening to Holden on Monday talking about Martin’s good fitness levels, I would not be shocked if he started instead of Fam, especially if there is anything in this Dijon rumour, Brunt admitted in his interview he was probably 2 weeks away from full fitness so I expect he might not even make the bench yet.

Agree that Weimann will start & Paterson is (along with Bentley) the biggest cert to play alongside him.

44 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Morrell probably will, he finished international duty on Sunday, was only playing less than 50 miles from home anyway, so no travel issues. With Williams out he is the most similar type to play there.

Interesting listening to Holden on Monday talking about Martin’s good fitness levels, I would not be shocked if he started instead of Fam, especially if there is anything in this Dijon rumour, Brunt admitted in his interview he was probably 2 weeks away from full fitness so I expect he might not even make the bench yet.

Agree that Weimann will start & Paterson is (along with Bentley) the biggest cert to play alongside him.

There doesn't seem to be any aggro in the contract discussions with Fam, so unless a move is imminent I don't see why he wouldn't play. Wouldn't be surprised to see Martin start though.

I think Weimann and Pato together in a championship midfield is a big risk, especially if your defensive player in Joe Morrell who's barely played at this level

• Like 1

I would start with both Nagy and Morrell as the Midfield holding two with Paterson behind FD/NW. I think Holden will put Weimann in there somewhere but unsure where.

With Morrell and Nagy playing internationals it may actually work in our favour as they have played in competitive matches and maybe have that extra bit of sharpness for the first day. I really rate Nagy and think he has been potentially written off prematurely by some (understandable however given last year). But by all accounts he has come back to pre-season sharp and smashed all the physical tests and I think his speed of thought is second to none out of our midfield options. Plus, I love how he can receive the ball on the half turn and instantly get us playing forward, seems to be able to snap passes out quickly and efficiently. I've said before that I think he could be the key to getting Palmer to play well but I'm not sure we'll see KP again.

Guess the back 3 depends on who's fit but if Mawson isn't I'd go for TM, TK and ZV, I like Rowe and he's left footed which is a plus, but think these 3 offer a bit more physicality and speed albeit I think Rowe has a nasty streak which may put him ahead of ZV.

I really don't know what to make of this years squad, seems like a lot of depth but not many stand out players that will definitely play each week if fit. However with games coming thick and fast that could be seen as a good thing perhaps given the physical impact on the players?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Yes, Morrell, was due a rest day on Monday so should’ve joined back in yesterday.  He will be fit and raring to go.  Whether he starts or not, no idea, but expect him in the 18.  There should be no fatigue, in fact he’s had 180 minutes, so more competitive match fit than anyone.

Nagy - ditto, 180 minutes in the tank

O’Dowda we think will miss out through injury.  I’m sure the best he could’ve hoped for was a spot on the bench.

Kalas is an unknown because of covid.  Think DH will be very coy about this, especially if he’s unable to play.

Martin is fit(ish).  Been doing his own programme with a personal trainer which has included ball work, positional stuff, etc.  Think he will make the bench.

Brunt isn’t ready, but I could see him getting minutes versus Northampton.

Mawson has had a pre-season with Fulham, just probably not tonnes of minutes.  If Kalas is out, he will play I’m sure.  I expect him too anyway.  Featured in the training ground video yesterday (Chris Martin goal highlight) getting praise from the coaches re his positioning.

Sessegnon I’m sure will be raring to go, but will probably wait until Tuesday to make his first start.

Williams and Walsh both out.

So, my team / contenders for Saturday:

GK: Bentley 

RWB: Hunt (Sessegnon)

LWB: Dasilva

CB: Moore, Kalas, Mawson (Vyner if either Kalas or Mawson not available)

CM: Massengo, Morrell, Paterson (Nagy, Bakinson)

CF: Weimann, Wells (Diedhiou, Martin)

Based on the above, bench could be:

O’Leary, Sessegnon, Vyner, Nagy, Eliasson, Diedhiou, Martin

Meaning the following miss out:

Wollacott, Rowe, Brunt, Palmer, Semenyo, Bakinson, Towler, Morton (Hinds, Adelakun)

Injured:

O’Dowda, Walsh, Williams, Baker

Suspect 1 or 2 might move on by Saturday.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I guess a lot depends on the roles they are given.  Morrell showed in the FA Cup game v Bolton, he’s more than capable of breaking the lines and bursting forward....so you could play him more advanced than Massengo for example.

Agreed - I don't think Morrell is what people think he is. He's a pretty complete central midfielder - good defensive fundementals but also decent offensively. Some similarities to Brownhill IMO but more defensively minded.

I have a very good feeling about him actually. 

• Like 5
27 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Not necessarily how i would pick it, but i suspect we will see:

bentley

moore kalas mawson

hunt morrell paterson weimann Dasilva

fam wells

the selection is relatively straight forward at the moment, but when williams and walsh are back, then ive no idea how he will play it.

I think you're spot on. Then, in midweek, I reckon Vyner, Massengo, Nagy, Martin and Sessengon will all start.

56 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think you're spot on. Then, in midweek, I reckon Vyner, Massengo, Nagy, Martin and Sessengon will all start.

Yes, sounds about right.

i get what weimann brings, with his energy and positivity, but we are overstocked with midfielders and if we are playing an attacker out of position in midfield, it doesnt really sit well.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, tin said:

I'd personally go with this: 

71922568_lineup(2).png.1a1f15bd63ee5a4bf58420089c9cf710.png

But I think Massengo will be preferred over Nagy and Hunt over Sessegnon. 

I'd probably go with this. Although as one of our leading providers of assists I still think RWB is Hunt's position to lose. We'll need him and SS both plenty though for that position thoroughout the season.

I can see Weimann being used as the second forward plenty for both his energy and his ability to cover for the midfielders so that they can mix things up a bit mid game - get forward, go wide, etc.

22 hours ago, eardun said:

Bentley 

Moore Kalas Mawson

Paterson  Morrell  Brunt 
                   Weimann  Wells 

Nice..

Apart from Bentley.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Worryingly I didn’t see TK in the training video today (filmed yesterday)

Doesn't he have to have another (negative) Covid test before he's allowed to train? Read something on another thread - I'll see if I can find it

EDIT: it was chipdawg's post further up this page. Presumably there's some sort of timescale between Covid tests though - how long does he have to wait between tests?

Edited by sinenomine