IGNORED

Fantastical Fantasies - Season Two (20/21)

RedYoshi

Gameweek 14 Update (Reading A) - Chip Central

Someone let @Bristol Rob know this is where to come if you want chips. Triple Cooked, Overloaded with flavour, and the absolute Best Of potato based snacks.

Six of us opted for chips against Reading, but the results were mixed so clearly it depended on which end of the ground you went.

Suppose mixed results are what we should expect when we lose 3-1, and already I'm regretting my decision to get on with these updates in an attempt to distract myself from what happened against Birmingham... Need to hurry up and get on to the QPR match, that'll be better.

:trumpet:Pick of the Week:trumpet:

Not gonna lie, there's an element of selfishness behind my PotW this week. While I was tempted by the 0-point captains of @jrt55555 and @prankerd (commiserations), or the satisfying "ABC, easy as 1-2-3" auto-pick of @Rocking Red Cyril, I've plumped for the pick that bailed me out somewhat from previous "advice".

I talked this person out of using their Best Of chip the match before, against Watford, because Paterson was ineligible for them so, had he been the best midfielder, they would've missed out. Of course, he wasn't the best midfielder, and they missed out on 3 points instead.

So this time, they used it up top, and earned themselves a 7-point Wells, 4 clear of the next best forward. Phew, conscience cleared.

That said, they may well have chiplessly picked Wells anyway, so I could've still cheated them out of 3 points... but I won't dwell on that, I'll just stop doling out advice.

Oh, except to say it's probably wise to captain your Best Of pick. :whistle2:

@Chessels Chick didn't, but is my PotW! Celebrate responsibly. Don't fall in a hole, for example.

Still other matters to settle, not least of all the MotM for November... it was tight between LJFC & DownendRed, with citywest not far behind...

@jrt55555: 3pts (Vyner - Paterson - Martin)

@prankerd: 3pts auto-pick (Dasilva - Paterson - Martin)

@bissellredhead: 5pts (Dasilva - O’Dowda - Diédhiou)

@DownendRed97: 5pts (Dasilva - Paterson - Martin)

@Nathandao: 5pts auto-pick (Vyner - Paterson - Martin)

@Rocking Red Cyril: 6pts auto-pick (Rowe - Nagy - Semenyo)

@Dogbert: 8pts Best Of (Hunt - O’Dowda - Semenyo)

@Oubliette23: 9pts (Dasilva - Nagy - Semenyo)

@Redstart: 9pts (Hunt - Paterson - Semenyo)

@Chessels Chick: 12pts Best Of (Vyner - Paterson - Wells)

@Newquay-Red: 12pts Triple Captain (Vyner - Paterson - Semenyo)

@RedYoshi: 14pts Overload (Semenyo - Wells - Diédhiou)

@CheddarReds: 17pts auto-pick (Hunt - Paterson - Wells)

@citywest30: 17pts Best Of (Dasilva - Paterson - Wells)

@LeeJohnsonsFlatCap: 17pts (Dasilva - Paterson - Wells)

@wayne allisons tongues: 17pts (Hunt - Paterson - Wells)

@kelbcfc: 20pts Triple Captain (Hunt - O’Dowda - Wells)

And @LeeJohnsonsFlatCap takes it! Martin’s late appearance and yellow card gives @DownendRed97 a first slip in an otherwise excellent November, and while @citywest30 matches LJFC this week it’s only enough to take 2nd.

November MotM:

1. @LeeJohnsonsFlatCap 92pts
  2. @citywest30 86pts
  3. @DownendRed97 79pts

In grabbing second, @citywest30 avoided the fate of @Chessels Chick by captaining Best Of Wells, but @Dogbert immediately demonstrates how my advice is useless by getting stuck with Callum “2 point” O’Dowda, who was only the Best Of midfield by virtue of a slightly higher rating than fellow 2 pointers Nagy & Paterson.

My Overload half paid off, but at the top of the tree was bottom of the table @kelbcfc with a well played Triple Captain. The lack of Wells saw @Newquay-Red miss out on the same outcome, but a bonus for Semenyo at least helped out a bit.

Elsewhere, @Nathandao’s auto-pick form was a let down for the first time in a while, alongside @prankerd & @Rocking Red Cyril’s captainless 1-2-3 wonders, but @CheddarReds had the opposite fortune to end up amongst the top scorers of the week.

Also up there was @wayne allisons tongues, whose organic captain pick of Wells might give some hope of continuing to match @LeeJohnsonsFlatCap as we move into December...

0A05829E-099B-48CD-9307-96665C452243.thumb.jpeg.2cf9314088571f50496d4477fa6e62de.jpeg

@kelbcfc’s success completely eliminates the gap at the bottom, dragging @Nathandao back, as @wayne allisons tongues bounces up three spots.

@CheddarReds is the other big mover, up four to fourth, as @Chessels Chick & @citywest30 trade places again and @LeeJohnsonsFlatCap relentlessly consolidates that top spot.

With just 15pts separating 5th to 11th, we’re all jostling for position more than in a Marbula One race (check it out, you won’t be disappointed).

GW14 Dream Team: just (1) - pick (2) - Wells (7)

Points Breakdown

1. Wells 7 (g, 2bp)
  2. Semenyo 3 (1bp)
  3. Nagy 2
  4. O’Dowda 2
  5. Paterson 2
  6. Brunt 1
  7. Dasilva 1
  8. Diédhiou 1
  9. Hunt 1
  10. Massengo 1
  11. Rowe 1
  12. Vyner 1
  13. Martin 0 (yc)
  14. Moore 0 (yc)

Another 3 bonus points for Bentley, he’s not doing too badly...

Gameweek 15 Update (QPR A) - O'Dowda Performs, But Disappoints

10 of us picked O'Dowda for what was arguably his best performance of the season. Go us.

He rewarded us with... um... zilch.

Assist for the first goal? Nope. He was trying to cut it back and got lucky. Trust me, I wanted it to be an assist as much as the next fantasist.

Assist for the second? Had he not played it behind Wells, then maybe, but he did, so no.

Bonus points at least? 'Fraid not. 6th highest rated, behind our three forwards and two centre backs.

Well played though, Callum.

Before any formal business this week, a quick correction. I heinously left out our young league debutant in the points breakdown for GW14. Opi "he's one of our own" Edwards of course earned one point more than Martin and Moore, and is officially available for you to pick in the future, if you dare. While he came on at RWB, he's generally considered a midfielder so will take that position for fantasy purposes. Welcome, Opi!

A tricky choice this week, I have to say. Plenty picked Ádám "never watch if he's playing" Nagy, so no unique candidates there, while even more captained top scorer Wells, and that's enough reward in itself.

Meanwhile, there were seven of us without either, so there's not even a distinction to be made there.

@DownendRed97 did make a strong recovery from their 5pts v Reading thanks to a successful Triple Captain chip, but again that's too much like orthodox achievement, and hinged largely on the selection of Wells.

So instead, we go to another 5-pointer against Reading. A 5-pointer who was left with the exact same team against QPR, courtesy of an auto-pick. An exact same team who each had a wildly different match.

A loss against Reading, a win against QPR.

Dasilva: 90mins v Reading, 45mins v QPR.

O'Dowda: fewest midfield touches v Reading, most of whole team v QPR.

Diédhiou: started v Reading, late sub v QPR.

A wildly different match, which saw them earn exactly the same number of points.

Sorry @bissellredhead, a difficult game to be stuck with captain Dasilva, and that was compounded by Diédhiou's 92nd minute appearance blocking your sub of Semenyo, who at least would have bumped you up a bit.

Still, City only got 3 points out of these two matches, you earned 5 against each. Congratulations on your maiden PotW title!

How did the rest of us fare as we enter the period known as "City's season starts to unravel"-mas?

@bissellredhead5pts auto-pick (Dasilva - O'Dowda - Diédhiou)

@Nathandao7pts auto-pick (Dasilva - O'Dowda - Semenyo)

@Newquay-Red12pts (Moore - Bakinson - Martin)

@CheddarReds13pts (Dasilva - O'Dowda - Martin)
@citywest3013pts (Dasilva - Brunt - Martin)

@jrt5555514pts auto-pick (Kalas - O'Dowda - Martin)
@RedYoshi14pts (Vyner - O'Dowda - Martin)

@wayne allisons tongues16pts (Dasilva - Nagy - Semenyo)

@Dogbert18pts (Moore - Nagy - Martin)

@Chessels Chick21pts (Dasilva - O'Dowda - Wells)
@LeeJohnsonsFlatCap21pts (Moore - O'Dowda - Wells)
@prankerd21pts (Moore - O'Dowda - Wells)
@Redstart21pts (Dasilva - O'Dowda - Wells)

@DownendRed9726pts Triple Captain (Vyner - O'Dowda - Wells)
@Oubliette2326pts (Dasilva - Nagy - Wells)
@Rocking Red Cyril26pts (Dasilva - Nagy - Wells)

@kelbcfc27pts (Vyner - Nagy - Wells)

For the second match running, @kelbcfc pulls off an excellent underdog performance, this time without the aid of a chip to boot. @Rocking Red Cyril also up there representing the bottom half of the table, alongside @DownendRed97 and @Oubliette23 who are trying their best to burst out of that congested midtable.

It's unsurprising to see the only others to breach 20pts were Wells captainers, including three of our top 6, while at the other end @Nathandao's fifth consecutive auto-pick (three worked, two haven't) gives @bissellredhead some company.

GW15.thumb.jpg.831b8a1ec11296c26e9cf834d3eafa5f.jpg

Not many staying in the same spot, as @kelbcfc is suddenly 10 points away from the top 10, and @Nathandao is the only one yet to reach 200.

At the top, @Chessels Chick and @citywest30 carry on their "to me, to you" tribute act, as @DownendRed97 and @Redstart settle into joint 4th behind them. @CheddarReds and I are therefore displaced down into 7th, as @Oubliette23 sneaks up in between.

With @jrt55555 and @Newquay-Red calmly watching all this unfold, @Rocking Red Cyril jumps two places to enter the top 10, swapping places with @bissellredhead, while @Dogbert and @wayne allisons tongues slip slightly towards the bottom. Wells helps @prankerd just about hold on to that 15th spot.

We probably shouldn't be mixing like this in the current climate, but I suppose Christmas is getting closer so it's somewhat inevitable... Just stay safe out there.

GW15 Dream Team: Kalas/Mariappa/Vyner (2) - Nagy (7) - Wells (9)

Points Breakdown

1. Wells 9 (g, a, 1bp - yc)
  2. Nagy 7 (g)
  3. Martin 5 (3bp)
  4. Semenyo 4 (2bp)
  5. Brunt 2
  6. Kalas 2
  7. Mariappa 2
  8. O'Dowda 2
  9. Vyner 2
  10. Bakinson 1
  11. Dasilva 1
  12. Diédhiou 1
  13. Moore 1
  14. Rowe 1

Gameweek 16 Update (Birmingham H) - Early Substitutions Are Your Friend

I won't dwell on the result. It's Birmingham, we know what happens. Let's get this done.

It was tricky last week - it's simple this.

There were two players subbed off after 60mins, but before we conceded.

One was Brunt, who therefore gained an extra clean sheet point.

Nobody picked him.

The other was Mariappa, who therefore was the only defender to earn the four clean sheet points.

One manager picked him.

Step forward @Oubliette23, the sole beneficiary of Holden's subs (while also suffering in midfield from Holden's selection... but less about that).

Congratulations, enjoy your celebrations under the Christmas tree.

Not many points on offer overall this week, unsurprisingly, but where did they go...

@jrt555556pts (Hunt - O'Dowda - Semenyo)
@Rocking Red Cyril6pts (Hunt - O'Dowda - Wells)

@LeeJohnsonsFlatCap7pts (Hunt - O'Dowda - Semenyo)

@CheddarReds8pts (Vyner - O'Dowda - Wells)
@Dogbert8pts (Vyner - O'Dowda - Semenyo)
@kelbcfc8pts (Vyner - O'Dowda - Semenyo)
@Nathandao8pts auto-pick (Vyner - O'Dowda - Martin)

@citywest309pts (Hunt - Nagy - Wells)
@Redstart9pts (Dasilva - Nagy - Wells)
@wayne allisons tongues: 9pts (Hunt - Nagy - Wells)

@bissellredhead10pts (Vyner - Nagy - Semenyo)

@Chessels Chick11pts (Kalas - O'Dowda - Semenyo)
@DownendRed9711pts (Kalas - O'Dowda - Semenyo)
@Oubliette2311pts (Mariappa - Bakinson - Semenyo)
@prankerd11pts (Kalas - O'Dowda - Semenyo)
@RedYoshi:11pts (Kalas - O'Dowda - Martin)

@Newquay-Red12pts (Vyner - Nagy - Wells)

A well captained Nagy (2 bonus points) by @Newquay-Red has them top of the pops (and PotW runner-up) this week, as more defensive "success" in the form of Kalas puts @Chessels Chick, @DownendRed97, @prankerd and myself alongside the Mariappa-powered @Oubliette23.

On the other hand, single point defenders were the scourge of the single point managers, with Hunt and Dasilva's late involvement not helping anyone - particularly @jrt55555 and @Rocking Red Cyril who would've had 14pts and 12pts respectively had their subs been used. Unfortunate.

Hunt also brought about a rare slip up for @LeeJohnsonsFlatCap, although in a low-scoring week it remains to be seen how much of an impact that has...

GW16.thumb.jpg.89bc62e00c7150cd7ad30cc0bcfa2e3d.jpg

Yep, not much of an impact, but for the first time in several weeks the lead has been cut just a little bit.

Otherwise, much less movement this time around, other than @Newquay-Red leapfrogging the unlucky @jrt55555 & @Rocking Red Cyril into the top 10. Some little nudges and shuffles from joint positions to non-joint positions, but nothing to write home about.

And @Nathandao edges ever closer to that 200...

GW16 Dream Team: Mariappa (6) - Brunt/Nagy (4) - Martin/Semenyo/Wells (2)

Points Breakdown

1. ❤️ Luke Wheaton 16 ... RIP ❤️
  2. Mariappa 6 (cs)
  3. Kalas 5 (3bp)
  4. Brunt 4 (cs, 1bp)
  5. Nagy 4 (2bp)
  6. Martin 2 - passed 50pts for the season v QPR, now 54
  7. O'Dowda 2
  8. Rowe 2
  9. Semenyo 2
  10. Vyner 2 - 50pts for the season
  11. Wells 2 - passed 50pts for the season v QPR, now 54
  12. Bakinson 1
  13. Bell 1 - NOW AVAILABLE (FWD) - Welcome Sammy!
  14. Dasilva 1
  15. Diédhiou 1
  16. Hunt 1 - now top scorer on 62 (Paterson 61)

PEU v Blackburn

@kelbcfc - cannot select Vyner

@wayne allisons tongues - cannot select Nagy

@CheddarReds, @Chessels Chick@DownendRed97@jrt55555, @LeeJohnsonsFlatCap@Nathandao, @prankerd - cannot select O'Dowda

@Rocking Red Cyril - cannot select Wells

@Redstart - cannot select Dasilva or Wells

@RedYoshi - cannot select O'Dowda or Martin

Sucks to be Callum.

@bissellredhead@citywest30, @Dogbert, @Newquay-Red@Oubliette23 - you all have the freedom of the City, for quite an important match...

Christmas Cup

That's right, the Christmas Cup is nearly upon us, and here's how it's gonna work:

9th Dec v Blackburn: Qualification Round - top 16 scorers gain entry to the cup

12th Dec v Rotherham: Round of 16

15th Dec v Millwall: Quarter-finals

18th Dec v Preston: Semi-finals

26th Dec v Wycombe: BOXING DAY GRAND FINAL

There will be a random draw made for the first round (not live streamed from a supermarket in Dubai or anything, don't worry), and subs' scores will be used in any tiebreaker situations.

I may do symmetrical/reverse-cup rounds again this year, just for a bit of fun, but with an extra round it becomes a bit more faff so I shall see what time I've got!

Chips are still available to be used whenever, and don't forget there are actual league points at stake:

Third place: 5pts
Runner-up: 10pts
Winner: 15pts

Plus, a non-qualifier bonus challenge (#NQBC of course)... If whoever doesn't qualify manages to earn the highest score for every round of the cup (compared against those still in the cup) then they will earn themselves a little 10pt bonus too.

Good luck!

Vyner (Hunt)

Paterson (C) (Nagy)

Wells vc (Diédhiou)

@Rocking Red Cyril I’m afraid Wells is ineligible for you today, so you’ve got ‘til 6.45 to replace him or stick with a subless Diédhiou.

And Overloaders (@LeeJohnsonsFlatCap, @Newquay-Red, @prankerd) your subs also need to fit the Overload position, so defenders & midfielders won’t be of any use. Obviously there’s not much choice for forward subs at the mo (and in all honesty you probably won’t need them), but a strategic positioning of Diédhiou could potentially be very important...

So LJFC I’ll just have to take out Rowe, but Newquay & prankerd you might wanna switch up them subs.

You have a whole football match minus half time, stoppage time & a last minute winner to do so, and for @Chessels Chick & @Nathandao to get their teams in.

8 minutes ago, RedYoshi said:

Vyner (Hunt)

Paterson (C) (Nagy)

Wells vc (Diédhiou)

@Rocking Red Cyril I’m afraid Wells is ineligible for you today, so you’ve got ‘til 6.45 to replace him or stick with a subless Diédhiou.

And Overloaders (@LeeJohnsonsFlatCap, @Newquay-Red, @prankerd) your subs also need to fit the Overload position, so defenders & midfielders won’t be of any use. Obviously there’s not much choice for forward subs at the mo (and in all honesty you probably won’t need them), but a strategic positioning of Diédhiou could potentially be very important...

So LJFC I’ll just have to take out Rowe, but Newquay & prankerd you might wanna switch up them subs.

You have a whole football match minus half time, stoppage time & a last minute winner to do so, and for @Chessels Chick & @Nathandao to get their teams in.

Oh crap... theres literally only fammy? Isnt there? 

Overload

Semenyo /  Vc

Martin / 

Wells / fammy C

Im guessing thats all i can do and hope he plays  433 again!

1 minute ago, prankerd said:

theres literally only fammy? Isnt there? 

Haha yeah pretty much - Bell too, but I’d say the likelihood of him starting & not being replaced at some stage by one of the others is about the same as the entirety of OTIB agreeing on an opinion about Johnson.

Archived