IGNORED

Fantastical Fantasies - Season Two (20/21)

RedYoshi

!¡!Cup Qualification Drama!¡!

Holy moly and a bucket of fish.

A full update will be coming (probably tomorrow) but first we need to deal with this humdinger of a qualification bout.

First thing’s first: we had four players tied for the lowest score of the round.

@bissellredhead - your subs of Vyner & Martin break the tie, and you have successfully qualified for the Christmas Cup. Merry good tidings!

Three to go...

And three that had the exact same team.

An Overload of strikers against the highest scorers in the division? Seems sensible, surely having a defender is just gonna drag you down...

Ah.

@LeeJohnsonsFlatCap, @Newquay-Red & @prankerd - all I can say is: unlucky. We’ve basically got four strikers, and you left out the one who scored, while all captaining the one who got booked. This is a mug’s game. I preempt & wholly accept the forthcoming hate mail.

Now, technically, LJFC & prankerd both had Diédhiou on the bench, and Newquay didn’t. However, this was only due to slight confusion around the chip usage, and considering - as prankerd keenly observed - Diédhiou was essentially the only sub you could pick, it stands to reason that he would be the default sub for any Overload selection.

i.e. if I were more technically savvy and had this game functional through some sort of app, it would’ve been impossible for Newquay to pick anyone other than Fam & Sam, and I don’t want simple misunderstandings to get in the way of integrity, fair play & the historical traditions of the Fantastical Fantasies name.

Thus, I propose a solution:

The Christmas Cup Triumvirate Faceoff Showdown of South Wales

There is just one Championship match before the first round of the FFCC (Fantastical Fantasies Christmas Cup*).

Cardiff City v Swansea City, 12.30, Saturday 12th December 2020

Your task is simple.

You must each pick three players for this match, from either team (so can be a mix), in any position, plus subs. You are allowed to pick them after the lineup has been announced, and you still pick a captain.

Top two scorers qualify, lowest misses out. The fantasy equivalent of a penalty shootout.

It’s tense, it’s exciting, and IT’S LIVE.

(Please don’t pick identical teams again :thumbsup:)

You are of course free to pick your team v Rotherham at any point, ‘cos you’ll be playing that regardless.

Good luck!

*never really understood the “explain an initialisation in brackets” thing when you don’t ever use it again in what you’re writing. All I’ve done is write four more letters than I would’ve, as well as some brackets and this whole piece of nonsense. Absolute tosser.

6 hours ago, LeeJohnsonsFlatCap said:

Wilson if allowed if not Ayew C (Moore)

Yep, no positional restrictions etc so free to pick any three players from entire match. Stick with Moore as sub, or shift Ayew there?

And you’ve got up until kick-off for that game too, so feel free to adjust anything when lineups are out!

(@Newquay-Red & @prankerd for clarification ^^)

Christmas Cup 1st Round Draw

With the help of our cup sponsors wheelofnames.com, I can now confirm your match-ups:

Match 1: @Nathandao v @Redstart
Match 2: 2nd in South Wales Showdown v @Oubliette23

Match 3: @wayne allisons tongues v @CheddarReds
Match 4: @DownendRed97 v @Dogbert

Match 5: @citywest30 v @Chessels Chick
Match 6: @bissellredhead v 1st in South Wales Showdown

Match 7: @RedYoshi v @Rocking Red Cyril
Match 8: @jrt55555 v @kelbcfc

Quarter finals will then be 1v2, 3v4, 5v6, 7v8, and semis 1/2v3/4, 5/6v7/8.

Let the trash talk commence!

South Wales Showdown Results

@prankerd: 20pts (Roberts 11 - Smith 3 - Ayew 6)

@LeeJohnsonsFlatCap7pts (Morrison 0 - Smith 3 - Wilson 4)

@Newquay-Red6pts (Cunningham - Smith 6 - Moore 0)

Heartbreaking for the City old boys squad of @Newquay-Red - had Cunningham or Palmer started the match it probably would’ve been enough to sneak through. Moore’s yellow card then early sub didn’t help either.

Still, @LeeJohnsonsFlatCap’s sub choices would have broken any tie thanks to Roberts’ clean sheet, assist & two bonus points - a haul that helped @prankerd to a commanding win.

Thus, we can now confirm...

4 hours ago, RedYoshi said:

Commiserations to @Newquay-Red, but remember there’s still the potential non-qualifier bonus if you can get the highest score over the next few weeks...

COYR!

Gameweek 17 Update (Blackburn H) - Wham, Bam, it's Fam

Well, I'm glad I didn't end up doing this update yesterday, as now I can use it to cheer myself up after that uninspiring afternoon. At least none of us travelled all the way to Rotherham, eh?

We kept out the league's highest scorers, created several decent chances, and then topped it all off with our favourite Knowle resident grabbing us the win. Marvellous.

:trumpet:Pick of the Week:trumpet:

We already know the fate of @LeeJohnsonsFlatCap, @Newquay-Red & @prankerd, double scuppered by an unlikely clean sheet and the one forward they didn't pick. Had it been just one of them, they'd have been a shoo-in, but they already got the "reward" of an extra game to play, and who doesn't like more frivolous name picking??

On the other side of the coin, captaining a defender against the league's top scorers is surely in the running, right? Well, yes, but @Rocking Red Cyril also had Diédhiou up top which means that a) they've already got a high enough score, and b) could've had a better captain than Kalas, ridiculously. Meanwhile, @Dogbert also had our real-life captain as a fantasy leader, but courtesy of the Triple Captain chip, becoming one of only five managers who made it to 20pts.

What about a Senegalese skipper? Impressively four managers gave our Fam the armband so I can't go separating them, can I? that'd be like picking a favourite twin, or quadruplet. Besides, they get the joy of actually doing well.

Hold on. Hold on, hold on, hold on.

Three of them did well. Like, properly well. Congrats to @Chessels Chick, @kelbcfc & @Redstart, but you're just too traditionally successful for me this time round.

One, though, while still doing well, could've done so much better. With cap'n Fam rocking his stuff up top, they were all set for bonus point Vyner to come on from the fantasy bench and bump them up to top scorer. But then, Taylor Moore. Subs giveth, subs taketh away.

Well played @CheddarReds, you've earned your second PotW. Hope that softens the crushing disappointment.

@bissellredhead9pts (Moore - Nagy - Semenyo)
@LeeJohnsonsFlatCap9pts Overload (Wells - Martin - Semenyo)
@Newquay-Red9pts Overload (Semenyo - Wells - Martin)
@prankerd9pts Overload (Semenyo - Martin - Wells)

@jrt5555511pts (Kalas - Nagy - Wells)
@Oubliette2311pts (Kalas - Nagy - Wells)
@wayne allisons tongues11pts (Kalas - O'Dowda - Wells)

@DownendRed9712pts (Vyner - Nagy - Wells)
@RedYoshi12pts (Vyner - Nagy - Wells)

@Nathandao17pts auto-pick (Vyner - Paterson - Martin)

@CheddarReds18pts (Moore - Nagy - Diédhiou)

@citywest3019pts (Kalas - Nagy - Martin)

@Dogbert20pts Triple Captain (Kalas Nagy - Wells)

@Rocking Red Cyril22pts (Kalas - Nagy - Diédhiou)

@Chessels Chick23pts (Hunt - Nagy - Diédhiou)
@kelbcfc23pts (Kalas - Nagy - Diédhiou)
@Redstart23pts (Hunt - Nagy - Diédhiou)

As you can see, @CheddarReds falls behind @Dogbert and @citywest30 in the week's table, gazing jealously at fellow Senegalese skipperers up on 23pts.

@Nathandao's auto-pick comes good again just in time to qualify for the cup, while @bissellredhead sneaks in thanks to the same defensive set up that tripped up @CheddarReds, with Vyner still managing to contribute in a tie-breaker fashion alongside Chris "assist-king" Martin.

With the Overloaders overloading with extra fantasy picks, the rest of us relied nearly entirely on the defence as we just broke the double-figure barrier.

GW17.thumb.jpeg.6f316a3448d0d96ec3cdc50b75ff9fe3.jpeg

The lead that was cut just a little bit last time has now been entirely eradicated! @Chessels Chick joining @LeeJohnsonsFlatCap at the top, @citywest30 not far behind, and @Redstart putting pressure on all three. PotW-less, but quietly efficient - surely it's just a matter of time.

Talking about efficiency, @kelbcfc's excellent run of form has catapulted them from bottom to the top 10 in a mere four matches. Exceptional. @Rocking Red Cyril joins them there as @jrt55555 and @Newquay-Red slip out for the time being, while there's a quite a bit of Christmas shuffling elsewhere but I've already written too much.

Let's just bask in the memory of Wednesday night, shall we?

Ahh.

GW17 Dream Team: Vyner 7 - Bakinson/Nagy/O'Dowda 3 - Diédhiou 7

Points Breakdown

1. Diédhiou 7 (g, 2bp)
  2. Vyner 7 (cs, 1bp)
  3. Hunt 6 (cs)
  4. Kalas 6 (cs)
  5. Rowe 6 (cs)
  6. Martin 5 (a)
  7. Bakinson 3 (cs)
  8. Nagy 3 (cs)
  9. O'Dowda 3 (cs)
  10. Semenyo 2
  11. Mariappa 1
  12. Moore 1
  13. Wells 1 (yc)

Another 3 bonus points for Bentley. Reckon if he could pick himself three times each week, he'd be in the mix you know.

EXTRA, EXTRA, READ ALL ABOUT IT

EXPOSED: Flaws in tiebreak procedure continue to be evident as Christmas Cup gets underway amid controversy

Yep, it’s happened again. Without many points floating about anyway it was somewhat inevitable we’d have at least one draw, and surprisingly enough we do only have the one.

However, that draw also covered the subs, despite entirely different teams this time.

Time for another shootout showdown equivalent!

The Almost Alphabetical QPRvS Faceoff Showdown

@jrt55555 & @kelbcfc are the managers affected this time, drawing 7-7 in normal time & then each adding 3pts in the extra-time multi-sub period.

Once again, there is just one match in the Championship before we play Millwall, so your task is clear.

Any three players, any mix of positions, either team, for tomorrow’s 17.30 ko between QPR & Stoke. Again, you have up until kick off to get these selections in.

Meanwhile for everyone else:

PEU v Millwall

@Chessels Chick, @Redstart - cannot select Hunt

@citywest30, @jrt55555, @wayne allisons tongues - cannot select Kalas

@RedYoshi - cannot select Vyner

@CheddarReds, @Oubliette23 - cannot select Nagy

@kelbcfc - cannot select Diédhiou

@Newquay-Red - cannot select Semenyo

@Dogbert, @prankerd - cannot select Wells

@Rocking Red Cyril - cannot select Kalas or Diédhiou

Open season for @bissellredhead, @DownendRed97, @LeeJohnsonsFlatCap & @Nathandao.

Full cup round 1 update to come soon, although I’m currently grappling with the Covid, so no idea how much sense it’ll make.

Archived