IGNORED

Fantastical Fantasies - Season Two (20/21)

RedYoshi

Gameweek 18 Update (Rotherham A) - Never Speak Of It Again

Not a great showing, and I’m tempted to blame our performance for my splitting headache, so let’s get straight on with the scores (or what vaguely resemble scores, anyway). It certainly made for some incredibly tight matches!

Match 1: @Nathandao 4 - 6 @Redstart
An eighth consecutive auto-pick for Nathan ended up balancing the stats at four successful & four unsuccessful. Left without a defender, this was always going to be an uphill battle, although Hunt’s half-time substitution after conceding two goals meant Redstart was also in trouble at the back. Both had Callum in the middle of the park, and Semenyo v Wells was another 2pt dead heat... but Nathan’s auto-pick had rendered the team captainless, so Redstart nicks it thanks to stronger leadership.

Match 2: @LeeJohnsonsFlatCap 5 - 6 @Oubliette23
This season’s pacesetter v last season’s champion - a huge tie in the first round. LJFC takes a 1pt lead with Kalas in defence as Oubliette’s Vyner suffers the same fate as Hunt, and Bakinson v Nagy in midfield leaves us at 3-2 in favour of LJFC. But again: captaincy. With Oubliette trusting youth, Antoine added a vital 4pts, while Fammy couldn’t recreate his Blackburn heroics for LJFC, earning his manager just two more points. A tight, respectful match, between two giants of this game.

Match 3: @wayne allisons tongues 5 - 8 @CheddarReds
While it would have been advisable for the season up ‘til now, a near identical team to LJFC didn’t do wayne any favours this time around (Kalas - Nagy - Diédhiou). Cheddar still needed to step up to the plate of course, and did so in style by being the only one of us to pick a defender who scored more than 1pt: Tommy Tommy Rowe. Old Reliable comes through again, and alongside Nagy & Wells gave Cheddar wall-to-wall 2-pointers, meaning the captaincy took care of itself (went to Wells, but could’ve been any of them). Still a very close match, but ridiculously the second largest win of the round - and the biggest not involving a chip. Sheesh.

Match 4: @DownendRed97 7 - 6 @Dogbert
Dogbert saw it coming, so hopefully can take some comfort in at least picking something correctly this week..! Hunt let both managers down at the back, leaving us with a more attacking match, and their captains (O’Dowda v Wells) matched each other point for point. Dogbert had a solid pick of Bakinson in midfield, giving the most common score of the round, and Tyreeq was up against Downend’s forward pick of Martin who - as the whistle blew - was also on 2pts. But once the dust settled on WhoScored’s servers, big man Chris earned himself a sneaky little bonus point, and left Dogbert proven right, but out the cup.

Match 5: @citywest30 10 - 8 @Chessels Chick
Battle of the Triple Captains, and also a true top of the table clash. In the end, as so often happens with these top-billed matches, it turned into a defensive battle (despite being the highest scoring match). With city’s combo of O’Dowda & Wells unable to wrestle free of Chessels’ Bakinson & Semenyo, the result hinged on that dreaded half-time substitution again, and Kalas simply outlasted Hunt for citywest to take the win.

Match 6: @bissellredhead 6 - 10 @prankerd
Another Triple Captain chip, this time from prankerd, gave bissell a tough assignment and - despite reaching a score that was enough to win three other ties - it proved to be too much to ask. prankerd went with the same trio as fellow TC citywest, and while bissell matched the defensive & midfield picks (captaining the best of them in O’Dowda), a goalless 45 for Diédhiou ensured there was to be no fairytale underdog story. To be fair, even a dream team selection with perfect captaincy would only have equalled prankerd’s 10. And no underdog story? Well, prankerd only just snuck into the cup, and now has the biggest win of the round... keep an eye on this one.

Match 7: @RedYoshi 6 - 5 @Rocking Red Cyril
Another defensive advantage gained early on for Cyril, as I was another to suffer from a half-time sub (Vyner). With Cyril captaining Kalas too, it was a quick 2-0 lead, but with Callum in the middle for both of us and earning the armband for me, we were soon back to 4-4. Down to the forwards, then, and again Famara’s lack of a starting berth scuppered RRC, as Semenyo just nudges me in front. Holden has a lot of people demanding answers methinks.

Match 8: @jrt55555 7 - 7 @kelbcfc
A first-round draw, exposing the flaw. Entirely different approaches, kel going all out attack with the Overload chip, while jrt stayed traditional. That old fashioned approach didn’t get off to the best of starts, with skipper Kalas being out scored by opposing leader Wells. O’Dowda v Semenyo couldn’t be separated, so kel was 6-4 ahead with one player to go. And what a comeback. jrt one of only two managers to pick bonus point Martin, as kel was left cursing the subs bench like many others, Diédhiou earning just the one point. Of course, it meant Martin was kel’s only scoring substitute, but jrt matched those 3pts with Diédhiou & Nagy. If only Hunt hadn’t been subbed, eh...

Non-Qualifier Bonus Challenge: @Newquay-Red
A difficult 10pts to beat... Captaining Hunt isn’t gonna help. D’oh! Hunt - Nagy - Semenyo leaves poor Newquay on just 4pts but, in a vain search for some silver lining, at least it doesn’t leave you wondering “what if?” about cup qualification. You’d have still been out. :thumbsup:

So, the Christmas Cup Quarterfinals:

QF1: @Redstart v @Oubliette23

QF2: @CheddarReds v @DownendRed97

QF3: @citywest30 v @prankerd

QF4: @RedYoshi v @jrt55555/@kelbcfc

Reverse Quarterfinals:

RQF1: @Nathandao v @LeeJohnsonsFlatCap

RQF2: @wayne allisons tongues v @Dogbert

RQF3: @Chessels Chick v @bissellredhead

RQF4: @Rocking Red Cyril v @jrt55555/@kelbcfc

It’s heating up, almost as much as my fever.

:trumpet:Pick of the Week:trumpet:

Competitive this week, that’s for sure.

As you read (or may have read, if you could be bothered enough), only three people chose our best two outfield players. @CheddarReds was the only one to go for the best of them in Tommy Rowe, but would’ve won their cup tie with any defender, while @DownendRed97 & @jrt55555 were the only two to benefit from Martin, clinching a last minute win & draw respectively.

All worthy winners in other weeks, but I’m a soppy sod, and there’s only one that I feel needs a PotW boost. I mean, captaining a 0pt player having just missed out on the cup entirely, and thus going for the highest score of the next four matches? There ain’t a more Bristol City pick out there.

Not well done, but well done @Newquay-Red!

C5E750BD-AD54-4DFD-B3FE-C187F1C43254.thumb.jpeg.9d0d54cd233317d0a118a81f8ebcb7d1.jpeg

Out of the cup, but concentrating on the league, @Chessels Chick completes the manoeuvre to overtake @LeeJohnsonsFlatCap at the top.

The only other move sees @prankerd leapfrog @wayne allisons tongues in 15th as the low-scoring week keeps us all honest (and grumpy).

Fingers crossed tonight isn’t as disappointing...

GW18 Dream Team: Rowe 2 - Bakinson/Nagy/O’Dowda 2 - Martin 3

Points Breakdown

1. Martin 3 (1bp)
  2. Bakinson 2
  3. Nagy 2
  4. O’Dowda 2
  5. Rowe 2 (2bp - 2gc, yc)
  6. Semenyo 2
  7. Wells 2
  8. Brunt 1
  9. Diédhiou 1
  10. Edwards 1
  11. Kalas 1 (2gc)
  12. Mariappa 1
  13. Massengo 1
  14. Hunt 0 (2gc)
  15. Vyner 0 (2gc)

Yet again, Bentley takes the 3 bonus. I’ve run the numbers and, yes, he’d be the highest scoring player in the game. Might have to include keepers as an option next season...

3 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Overload 

Rowe C (Vyner)

Mariaapa (Moore)

Hunt VC (Edwards)

I imagine Hunt will make some sort of appearance so shouldn’t matter, but afraid Edwards is technically listed as a midfielder for the purposes of the game, so will need a different defensive sub for him!

On 14/12/2020 at 16:05, CheddarReds said:

Vs Miiilllll

Rowe (Kalas) 

O'Dowda (Brunt)

Diedhiou (Martin)

Don’t forget a captain!

14 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Can I swap Edwards for Towler please 

Eep! Sorry, he’s also down as a midfielder as per how he was listed on the site at the start of the season.

Can see you can’t pick Kalas either...so yeah, afraid one of your sub slots will either be empty or injured! Stick it on whichever player you think is guaranteed to start!

1 hour ago, RedYoshi said:

I imagine Hunt will make some sort of appearance so shouldn’t matter, but afraid Edwards is technically listed as a midfielder for the purposes of the game, so will need a different defensive sub for him!

Don’t forget a captain!

I would've gone Diedhiou please (he's not starting ?)! Apologies if that's too late now. D'oh!

Sorry @Rocking Red Cyril - I missed my deadline gif, but still gotta stick by it!

If it’s any consolation your auto-pick means you’ve still got Wells up top, with Hunt in defence and O’Dowda (Nagy) in midfield. Just lacking a captain, sadly.

And @CheddarReds, also sorry, but gonna have to stick to the same rules I’m afraid! We’ve seen what Fam can do from the bench after all...

Hopefully a positive result will cheer us all up and this fluff won’t matter :D

Almost Alphabetical Showdown Result

@kelbcfc7pts (Fletcher 2 - Dykes 2 - Powell 3)

@jrt555550pts

Sadness too for @jrt55555, who is probably avoiding the forum for understandable reasons after Saturday’s result, and who’d expect a double draw again? Did try to think of some way I could implement an auto-pick for this too, but with nothing to go on and no advance warning it didn’t seem entirely fair. What’s that? Another flaw? Madness.

So, an unfortunate no-show sees @kelbcfc move on with the very same score that saw this showdown occur in the first place, just to rub salt into @jrt55555’s wounds.

Confirmation:

QF4: @RedYoshi v @kelbcfc

RQF4: @Rocking Red Cyril v @jrt55555

18 minutes ago, RedYoshi said:

Hopefully a positive result will cheer us all up and this fluff won’t matter

Hmmm...

PEU v Preston

@Dogbert, @Newquay-Red - cannot select Hunt

@CheddarReds - cannot select Rowe

@citywest30, @Rocking Red Cyril - cannot select O’Dowda

@kelbcfc - cannot select Wells

@prankerd - cannot select Kalas or O’Dowda

@jrt55555 - cannot select O’Dowda or Martin

@Redstart - cannot select O’Dowda or Wells

@bissellredhead, @Chessels Chick@DownendRed97, @LeeJohnsonsFlatCap, @Oubliette23, @wayne allisons tongues can pick anyone you darn well please.

Will get some form of update out before the deadline of 19.00 - mostly been asleep these past few days.

On 15/12/2020 at 21:32, Nathandao said:

I have returned, but only to say I’m dropping out of the competition. Have very little interest in city at the moment as the football is atrocious and we aren’t getting the results to make it acceptable.

Ah sad news, but fair enough..! I’ll keep your auto-pick going, just because it’ll entertain me a bit to see how it does, but won’t tag you in any posts etc. Hopefully things improve & we see ya back before too long!

On 15/12/2020 at 22:34, DownendRed97 said:

So glad I captained Fam...by my calculations that’s -4 points...first ever negative score overall? Whoops :D

Ha - you weren’t the only one...! You might be pleasantly surprised though...

Archived