IGNORED

Fantastical Fantasies - Season Two (20/21)

RedYoshi

PEU v Swansea (deadline 2pm) sponsored by @citywest30:laugh:

@kelbcfc, @Newquay-Red - cannot select Kalas

@wayne allisons tongues - cannot select Nagy

@bissellredhead - cannot select Paterson

@Chessels Chick - cannot select Diédhiou

@Rocking Red Cyril - cannot select Kalas or Diédhiou 

@LeeJohnsonsFlatCap - cannot select Paterson or Semenyo

@jrt55555 - cannot select Hunt, Paterson or Diédhiou

Everyone else can get walking on the wild side with Big Nige - @CheddarReds, @citywest30, @Dogbert, @DownendRed97, @Oubliette23, @prankerd, @Redstart

Boro quarter-final update on its way before kick off. Spoiler alert: there are actual points!!!!1!11!!

Gameweek 32 Update (Middlesbrough A) - Pre-Match Pearson Appears to Perfection

As the sponsors scrabble to potentially rebrand from the Post-Holden Cup to either the Holden-Pearson Trophy or the Transition Competition, we had a little matter of some quarter-finals to take care of... And, boy, were the team up for the cup.

Let's dunk ourselves into the Reverse Quarters first:

RQF1: @Newquay-Red 30 - 24 @Dogbert
Both suffering the ratings-induced heartbreak of round 1, they both followed up by entrusting their hearts to 2-bonus Kalas and a captained assister Nagy. Hell of a way to recover for both, but Newquay's selection of MotM Diédhiou was enough to overcome Dogbert's single bonus point Wells. All bonus points covered - can't work out if that's redemption, or just a kick in the teeth.
(Kalas - Nagy - Diédhiou) v (Kalas - Nagy - Wells)

RQF2: @jrt55555 19 - 19 @Redstart
Our only draw of the round at the High Five Stadium (told ya I'd thought about it...). A defensive match, with both captains in the back line, and Redstart took the advantage there with Kalas over a booked Hunt. A single point midfielder each left it down to the forwards, and jrt's Diédhiou wiped out the 6pt deficit to take us to a Substishootout™. Despite the auto-pick, the Five5s still had a full bench... but Kalas' 4pts was bettered by the 5 from Nagy on Redstart's bench, which ultimately led to a 8-6 win for the away side.
auto-pick (Hunt[Kalas] - Paterson[Palmer] - Diédhiou[Semenyo]) v (Kalas[Vyner] - Palmer[Nagy] - Wells[Semenyo])

RQF3: @LeeJohnsonsFlatCap 7 - 38 @wayne allisons tongues
We asked who would recover the quickest from their tiebreak drama of round 1, and wayne has given us an emphatic answer. Pairing captain Diédhiou with Nagy in the middle, The Tongues earned the GW leading score - the highest since the opening match of the season, in fact. LJFC was scuppered by the temperamental auto-pick luck, especially thanks to Semenyo starting on the bench, although Kalas at least earned them a little something. Too little, too late, sadly.
auto-pick (Kalas - Paterson - Semenyo) v (Hunt - Nagy - Diédhiou)

RQF4: @prankerd 37 - 22 @CheddarReds
Our two auto-picks of the first round left nothing up to chance this time, and this attacking approach paid off thanks to captains Diédhiou and Wells respectively. That was of course enough for the residents of PJA (Practical Joke Arena) to take the win, but the extra gloss of Kalas' bonus popped them up to second place in the GW table.
(Kalas - Paterson - Diédhiou) v (Hunt - Massengo - Wells)

All of which leaves our double & triple reverse semis as follows:

RRSFA: @Newquay-Red v @Redstart
RRSFB: @wayne allisons tongues v @prankerd

RRRSFA: @Dogbert v @jrt55555
RRRSFB: @LeeJohnsonsFlatCap v @CheddarReds

And now, the so-called "real" quarter-finals:

QF1: @DownendRed97 6 - 29 @kelbcfc
The last time they met it was for the glory of the Christmas Cup, and evidently kel wasn't happy with the result back then, setting the record straight with aplomb. Perhaps Downend got complacent? Who knows, but while they had a cameo from Semenyo, a carded Palmer and a captained Vyner, kel came out with all guns blazing by picking the Dream Team. Only the placement of the armband meant they didn't max out, but I'm sure the compensation of avenging that cup final result was enough. Another excellent cup run then for our cup expert, while Downend can console themselves by polishing their trophy from last time out.
(Vyner - Palmer - Semenyo) v (Kalas - Nagy - Diédhiou)

QF2: @Chessels Chick 35 - 25 @Oubliette23
A family based fandango, with a birthday thrown in for extra celebratory carnage. A formula that results in the highest scoring match of the round, with Chessels playing the role of the party-pooper and denying Oubliette a cup-based birthday present. Age before beauty, I suppose... :whistle2: Oubliette did take an early lead thanks to Kalas v Vyner in defence, they matched up in midfield, but as ever in these quarter-finals it came down to the forward choice. Unsurprising, then, that Chessels had Diédhiou as skipper to take them to the third highest score of the week, while Oubliette at least takes some consolation by opting for Wells over Semenyo (and then proceeded to blame me and my PEU for not being able to pick Fam... Happy Birthday!).
(Vyner - Palmer - Diédhiou) v (Kalas - Palmer - Wells)

QF3: @RedYoshi 20 - 27 @citywest30
If I told you one of us picked Diédhiou and the other picked Wells, you'd guess the wrong one had won. Captain choices are important, people, take it from me. A simple ring of elastic can make or break a cup run, and it has made citywest's a successful one - turning a raw, pre-captain 19-17 loss into quite a comprehensive victory thanks to Wells' success and my idiocy. Nothing quite like watching your striker score two, assist another, and slowly getting a bit more frustrated with each one, especially as your captain does nothing but get booked. (Who am I kidding, I was bloody ELATED - what a match!). To be fair, even had CW30 handed Nagy the armband they'd have won, so congrats - go and make the final now!
(Mariappa - Palmer - Diédhiou) v (Vyner - Nagy - Wells)

QF4: @bissellredhead 7 - 25 @Rocking Red Cyril
Another Semenyo slip-up (all three of our single digit scorers had him) meant RRC avoided my fate of an uncaptained Fam, although trusting real-life leader Kalas had already trumped my score. Bissell, on the other hand, had Kalas but followed my poor example of captaining a 1-point midfielder, so it'll be fitting that we'll be together in the land of Reverse Semi-finals. Clearly the pressure of a first quarter-final got to The Redheads, which is understandable, but The Rockers march on from a maiden QF to a maiden SF. Magic.
(Kalas - Paterson - Semenyo) v (Kalas - Palmer - Diédhiou)

SEMI-FINALS

SFA: @kelbcfc v @Chessels Chick - cup expert v league challenger. Big match.
SFB: @citywest30 v @Rocking Red Cyril - both ranked lower, we're guaranteed an underdog in the final. Could this turn their seasons around?

and reverse:
RSFA: @DownendRed97 v @Oubliette23
RSFB: @RedYoshi v @bissellredhead

Over to the league (almost forgot about that, hadn't ya?!)

GW32.thumb.jpeg.13961ff81ab34fc83cc66e46a39224c1.jpeg

@Chessels Chick goes into the semi atop the entire league, as @Redstart suffers a slight slip. Their opponents @kelbcfc are also on good form, jumping up 3 spaces to 5th, the same improvement as GW-leader @wayne allisons tongues ahead of them in 4th.

@DownendRed97 is the biggest victim of all the high-scores, echoing their 6pts with a 6 place drop, as we more than double the number of teams who have reached 400. @prankerd therefore sneaks into the top 10 ahead of them having been a full 7 places behind them - this Middlesbrough game potentially proving to be a season-changer for all of us.

And Nathan's made the 300! (With only one player playing, that's quite the achievement)

GW32 Dream Team: Kalas (4) - Nagy (5) - Diédhiou (16)

Points Breakdown

1. Diédhiou 16 (2g, a, 3bp)
  2. Wells 10 (g, a, 1bp)
  3. Nagy 5 (a)
  4. Kalas 4 (2bp)
  5. Bakinson 2
  6. Mariappa 2
  7. Towler 2
  8. Vyner 2
  9. Hunt 1 (yc)
  10. Massengo 1
  11. Palmer 1 (yc)
  12. Paterson 1
  13. Semenyo 1
  14. Sessegnon 1

Gameweek 33 Update (Swansea A) - Unassisted Goals FTW (quite literally)

I won't get in to whether we actually played any better or not - I'll take anything we can get. And, to be honest, I'm gonna make this quick(ish), so won't get into much at all.

Triple Reverse Semi-finals

@Dogbert 26 - 15 @jrt55555
(Hunt - Palmer - Wells) v auto-pick (Kalas - Palmer - Semenyo)

@LeeJohnsonsFlatCap 15 [10] - 15 [12] @CheddarReds
(Hunt - Palmer - Diédhiou) v auto-pick (Hunt - Massengo - Wells)
[Mariappa - Nagy - Wells]                       [Vyner - Nagy - Diédhiou]

Double Reverse Semi-finals

@Newquay-Red 8 - 15 @Redstart
(Hunt - Nagy - Diédhiou) v (Kalas - Palmer - Diédhiou)

@wayne allisons tongues 8 - 15 @prankerd
(Kalas - Bakinson - Diédhiou) v (Kalas - Palmer - Diédhiou)

Reverse Semi-finals

@DownendRed97 22 - 14 @Oubliette23
Best Of (Kalas - Palmer - Diédhiou) v (Vyner - Nagy - Diédhiou)

@RedYoshi 16 - 22 @bissellredhead
(Kalas - Bakinson - Wells) v (Kalas - Palmer - Diédhiou)

ACTUAL SEMI-FINALS

@kelbcfc 20 - 16 @Chessels Chick
Our leader is toppled, as kel's cup competence continues! Runner-up at Christmas, they get a second shot at glory this time around, with our league leader left to fight it out for third. Both successfully captained their only players to earn any attacking returns, but Vyner's three bonus points tipped the scales in kel's favour, despite Chessels handing the armband to the goalscorer Zak set up. Fine margins at this stage of any competition, as they say...
(Vyner - Nagy - Diédhiou) v (Hunt - Nagy - Wells)

@citywest30 23 - 16 @Rocking Red Cyril
A valiant, valiant attempt from our underdog of the semis, and their reward is a third-place playoff against the league leader... Ultimately, citywest's experience showed here, as the only difference came in midfield. With both teams placing Wells in the leadership role and Mariappa at the back, Palmer's unexpected "fluk-de-corné" earned ol'30 the crucial extra 7pts and sends them flying to the final.
(Mariappa - Palmer - Wells) v (Mariappa - Bakinson - Wells)

No-one benefitted from Semenyo's unassisted goal, aside from Nathandao's perennial auto-pick, which even paired him with triple-bonus Vyner. However, with an absent Paterson captained in the middle, the 12 points gained wouldn't have won any of the cup ties. Them's the breaks, I s'pose.

On to the finals!

15th/16th Playoff: @jrt55555 v @LeeJohnsonsFlatCap - wooden spoon, the most useful of all the trinkets

13th/14th Playoff: @Dogbert v @CheddarReds - win to be unlucky

11th/12th Playoff: @Newquay-Red v @wayne allisons tongues - for a place in the first XI

9th/10th Playoff: @Redstart v @prankerd - the battle for single digits

7th/8th Playoff: @Oubliette23 v @RedYoshi - winner gets the bed?

5th/6th Playoff: @DownendRed97 v @bissellredhead - remember, remember, the 5th of this made up cup thing

3rd Place Playoff: @Chessels Chick v @Rocking Red Cyril - 5 genuine bonus points up for grabs

GRAND FINAL: @kelbcfc v @citywest30 - both guaranteed at least 10 points, but who will take the #glory?!

GW33.thumb.jpeg.a2cd1584d632b7bd5f564ed6ecddc8db.jpeg

Denied a shot at the trophy, but @Chessels Chick does maintain the league lead - in fact, increases it by an extra point - while not much else shifts immediately behind.

@citywest30's semifinal triumph is accompanied by a bit of a league jump too, however, as they close the gap to the top 4 along with fellow finalist @kelbcfc, who are both now in a perfect position to take advantage of the bonus cup points coming their way.

Christmas Cup champion @DownendRed97 scoots back into the top 10, with @Newquay-Red the unfortunate one to move in the opposite direction, while @Dogbert's first win of this cup earns a couple of spots too.

@Rocking Red Cyril will be dreaming of what could have been back in 14th, but an upset in the 3rd-place playoff could be the spark they need to launch a triumphant late-season comeback.

As for February's Manager of the Month? Well, well, well...

=5. @Chessels Chick & @wayne allisons tongues 84pts
4. @citywest30 86pts
3. @Oubliette23 91pts

=1, yes, EQUAL FIRST... @kelbcfc & @prankerd, with 93pts apiece! Maaaarvellous.

GW33 Dream Team: Vyner (8) - Palmer (9) - Wells (6)

Points Breakdown

1. Palmer 9 (g, 2bp)
  2. Vyner 8 (a, 3bp)
  3. Wells 6 (g)
  4. Semenyo 4 (g - yc)
  5. Bakinson 2
  6. Diédhiou 2
  7. Hunt 2
  8. Kalas 2
  9. Mariappa 2
  10. Nagy 2
  11. Massengo 1
  12. Sessegnon 1
  13. Towler 0 (yc)

PEU v Bournemouth (deadline 6.45pm)

@bissellredhead - cannot select Kalas

@DownendRed97 - cannot select Palmer

@wayne allisons tongues - cannot select Diédhiou

@citywest30, @Dogbert - cannot select Wells

@Redstart - cannot select Kalas or Palmer

@prankerd - cannot select Kalas or Diédhiou

@kelbcfc, @Newquay-Red - cannot select Nagy or Diédhiou

@CheddarReds - cannot select Hunt, Massengo or Wells

Restriction free: @Chessels Chick, @jrt55555, @LeeJohnsonsFlatCap, @Oubliette23, @Rocking Red Cyril

Archived