IGNORED

Callum injury

davidoldfart

25 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

What will we do without his goals or assists? Don’t wish injury on any player and Callum is a nice guy but doesn’t offer enough in this division and would like to move him on.

The best way to ‘ move him on ‘ would be to get him playing to his maximum capability. 

Who , apart from us, buys an injured player ? 

In other news, COD frustrates me because he shows glimpses of greatness. He just needs to show it more often.

He has been playing well for ROI and that is a great showcase for him . It’s a shame that he adds another injury to our squad.

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

The best way to ‘ move him on ‘ would be to get him playing to his maximum capability. 

Who , apart from us, buys an injured player ? 

In other news, COD frustrates me because he shows glimpses of greatness. He just needs to show it more often.

He has been playing well for ROI and that is a great showcase for him . It’s a shame that he adds another injury to our squad.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen glimpses of greatness from Callum O’Dowda.

A tidy goal at Norwich is the highlight.

Despite his obvious ability CoD doesn’t impact enough in games for me. He has the skills and pace to skin opposition defenders but he hardly ever does. That may have been down to LJ  shackling him to his defensive responsibilities and who knows? maybe under Deano we’ll see a different CoD.............:dunno:

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Despite his obvious ability CoD doesn’t impact enough in games for me. He has the skills and pace to skin opposition defenders but he hardly ever does. That may have been down to LJ  shackling him to his defensive responsibilities and who knows? maybe under Deano we’ll see a different CoD.............:dunno:

I’d love it, if it turned out that our squad was actually the best outside the prem, but had been shackled by Lee Johnson.

Sadly I don’t think this will be the case.

13 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I’d love it, if it turned out that our squad was actually the best outside the prem, but had been shackled by Lee Johnson.

Sadly I don’t think this will be the case.

No but a few of them might turn out to be better than many on here thought during LJ’s time as Head Coach. 

How many players have appeared to have had their skill coached out of them after arriving at AG? Maybe light touch coaching or playing in a way that suits the players we have might just work better.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Obvious quality? Where, when,

7 hours ago, davidoldfart said:

Callum off having tweaked a groin ...lets hope he is ok and back by Saturday. Got MOM on Thursday so obviously improving all the time 

Improving all the time?

You say that like he's one of the youth kids. He's 25. Should be in his prime. 

Not O’Dowda’s biggest fan (& if the opportunity arose he is one I would look to move on now) but struggle with the logic here of those who appear pleased that he is injured.

For what it’s worth I think it was unlikely he would have started against Coventry, though he probably would have made the bench, so showing happiness that we are one down in squad terms is just odd.

5 hours ago, TBW said:

Improving all the time?

You say that like he's one of the youth kids. He's 25. Should be in his prime. 

He does get more criticism than most players. He’s hot and cold and he’s like a player that needs to let his own game be allowed. I think he can only get better and I’m sorry if he is injured 

4 minutes ago, Waffleflap said:

I remember David Ginola once say that that his best years were in his late 20s, early 30s.  Some players take time to really show their true potential.  We got another 4 years wait yet 

So you’re saying we should hold on to O’Dowda in the hope that he improves as a player later in his career because it worked like that for David Ginola?

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

So you’re saying we should hold on to O’Dowda in the hope that he improves as a player later in his career because it worked like that for David Ginola?

Callum has his opportunity now while under DH. If Callum doesn’t come good in the first half of this season and then he should go. I’m hoping he will surprise us though.

I think the problem with O’Dowda that is even after his 3 years at the club, it’s still not clear what he’s “for”.

As a winger, he’s not got the pace or trickery to beat a man consistently at this level, and although capable of some quality deliveries, they’re infrequent.

As a playmaking CM, he doesn’t dominate the game or seem to create the space needed. Again though, flashes of skill.

As an attacking CM, he’s not as good as Pato at working the lines. But he’s played in that role for ROI and done well.

He’s not a LWB - not played there enough

I think we’d all agree that CODs best run was before he got injured vs Hull. At that point, although officially a wide  midfielder, he was coming inside and interchanging with Brownhill, and space was created for the whole team via the press. I think that’s where he’s best - a high energy front five where he can find space. I don’t, however, see him do it often enough in a 4 or where one of that front 5 is more target (eg Fam).

Its odd because there is clearly a decent player there. I think he’s just not probably exceptional at any one position and passable at several - and that isn’t enough to win you a starting place.

17 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Its odd because there is clearly a decent player there. I think he’s just not probably exceptional at any one position and passable at several - and that isn’t enough to win you a starting place.

i think thats peoples issue, it shouldnt be good enough for a starting place, but all too often he has been selected when better options were available, and then he's gone on to have a poor game.

I’m one of his biggest critics on here, but 1) I don’t think he’s crap and 2) I don’t want any City player injured.  He has ability, there is no doubt, but he doesn’t show that often enough in games.  Even his best mate JB said he’s brilliant on the training ground but needs to bring it to the match.  Many of us will be played with players who great in training but never quite produced on match day...(and many vice versa).

He is 25 now.  Hopefully Holden (and Simpson and Downing) will bring the best out of him.  As it currently stands though, I don’t see where he fits in to get a run of appearances to price that.  Even though I disagree with JonDolman about his (suit)ability at LWB, I honestly think that’s the only place he might get minutes, and that’s relying on Dasilva to lose form or get injured.  And no City fan wants that either.

If Holden sees him at cover for Dasilva, then I’m fine with that.  If he sees him behind Tommy Rowe, then you’d imagine he’d be a candidate to move on.

Archived