IGNORED

Callum injury

davidoldfart

I think COD will now need toearn his place from the bench.  The problem is that he is not a player who can change the game for you in the last 20 or 30 minutes, especially if you are one or two nil down.  A shame really, because when he was younger, I expected a more rounded player from him by his mid twenties.

I do suspect that if he was given a bit more freedom that he might impress more, but that could probably be said of many players.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m one of his biggest critics on here, but 1) I don’t think he’s crap and 2) I don’t want any City player injured.  He has ability, there is no doubt, but he doesn’t show that often enough in games.  Even his best mate JB said he’s brilliant on the training ground but needs to bring it to the match.  Many of us will be played with players who great in training but never quite produced on match day...(and many vice versa).

He is 25 now.  Hopefully Holden (and Simpson and Downing) will bring the best out of him.  As it currently stands though, I don’t see where he fits in to get a run of appearances to price that.  Even though I disagree with JonDolman about his (suit)ability at LWB, I honestly think that’s the only place he might get minutes, and that’s relying on Dasilva to lose form or get injured.  And no City fan wants that either.

If Holden sees him at cover for Dasilva, then I’m fine with that.  If he sees him behind Tommy Rowe, then you’d imagine he’d be a candidate to move on.

Agree with all of this. In all honesty, I think the injury is a particular shame as some outstanding performances for Ireland might give him a platform to earn a move elsewhere and show what he can do at a new club. As with you, I don't think he's terrible but I do think he's not shown what he can do anywhere near often enough and I think there are eight or nine players I'd rather have in central midfield and two I'd rather have at left wing back. Technically we're currently short of a right wing back but I've no idea if he could play that side and I'd far rather we got a right wing back in. 

I'd not be surprised if, were he able to move elsewhere, he proved some of his doubters wrong and showed that, with the right formation and the right team, he could be outstanding. But I don't think our formation is the right formation for him and I think he's had too many chances now and other players deserve them more than he does. Sometimes you get a sense players are just need a new start elsewhere and I think that's where things are with O'Dowda. 

53 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

LB I’d extend the reach of your final sentence to also include NE, SS and KP. IMO like COD that are all are good players who need to play regularly,  just don’t see (at the moment) any of them featuring often enough for us this season. 

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think he’s crap

Pretty much - he's not crap, he's something much more frustrating, an athlete with many of the right attributes but a total lack of conviction in applying it.

People keep mentioning the goal at Carrow Road as if it's all he's done. He's been playing for us for bloody ages - since August 2016. There have been other moments. The 2-2 at Newcastle he was our best player. The 2-0 midweek win at Fulham in 2017 (for me better than the 4-0 earlier that year).  First half hour at West Brom in 2018 was at the heart of everything through the middle. Stoke away the season before last. But it's farcical how few and far between it is.

He's someone who not only struggles for consistency game to game, he doesn't even seem to manage it from half to half. He doesn't often put it together for a full 90. I think it was 3 seasons ago he went on a run of playing well off the bench as a sub, getting tombola'd into the team the next game and being absolutely anonymous and taken off at half-time, and repeat as sub the following week. Good 30 minutes, bad 45 minutes, good 30 minutes, bad 45 minutes etc.

He's not crap but his decision making and vision is virtually non existent. For a player with his talents, his goalscoring and assists record is poor. He's got bags of energy, but with the ball it's rarely used effectively. He had a run of goals leading up to that Norwich game and seemed to be around the time of the link to Leeds. I was amazed we re-signed him last summer, at one point he was being frozen out and was substitute left back in friendlies. Not sure what changed.

Last season did very little to endorse the decision to extend his contract other than to protect the dream he'll one day be another "breakout" success we can cash in on. But at 25 and with his fairly anonymous club-level record, it's hard to see when. I half wonder if it's pet project for Mark Ashton given he followed him here from Oxford. Will be fascinating to see what Holden gets out of him - perhaps the single most obvious acid test for "fresh ideas" versus Lee Johnson.

8 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

LB I’d extend the reach of your final sentence to also include NE, SS and KP. IMO like COD that are all are good players who need to play regularly,  just don’t see (at the moment) any of them featuring often enough for us this season. 

Absolutely agree. Those you list, along with Adelakun are the players who I hope we move on, simply because it would free up space in the squad to get in the two or three players we still need and mean we've got a tight, focused squad where everyone is in contention for a place.

I agree that all of them are good players and I'd wish them all well elsewhere but I don't think it does us or them any good if we stockpile players that we aren't able to utilise to their potential. 

Archived