IGNORED

One Semenyo in Bristol

Shtanley

27 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Episode #109 of OSIB is now out. 

Josh and @Davefevsjoin me to discuss the win against Exeter.

I promise I'm a lot less unbearable than you can imagine considering Antoine's wonder strike!

Links and that

To be fair Stan you’ve been calling this on for years so I think you can bask in some shared glory.

Glad to hear its not ALL Semenyo though!

If you want to take money for doing work and providing entertainment you absolutely should and no one should think ill of you for that. Hard work should get rewards! I debated whether to comment or just stop listening but you did ask for comments so... Who the sponsor is, is way more important to me than having a sponsor. I think this one compromises the integrity of the show.

I don't think I'll listen anymore to any of the episodes after the Mansion bet and voice of the fans/co-commentary stuff. I think you're a bit too close to the club for me to personally and it's lost its "people talk honestly about football" appeal. I don't think you're actively lying, but I do feel the self censorship, and I've really got no interest in listening to that. It's feels about as independent as Hong Kong! Coupled with the self promotion and advertising time means I don't enjoy the product as much as it's less talk about the thing I'm interested in which is unfiltered football opinions. You accept some cost as people certainly can't be expected to pay for the "privilege" of entertaining me for free but it's gone past the line for me where cost paid is higher than value received. I.E, there's so much I don't enjoy that it's not worth listening to anymore. It's like American TV! Wading through the bad to get to the good. Especially in a podcast format where I tend to listen while doing something else, it's a pain to skip through the annoying parts.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/apr/19/mansionbet-allowed-vip-gambler-to-bet-redundancy-payout On a moral level it's up to you whether you take money from a company like that. We support a team that takes money from them so none of us are spotless, it's only an argument about the degree of separation.

'The old joke about the man who asks a girl if she will sleep with him for a million dollars. Of course, she says yes. He then offers her two dollars and she slaps his face, saying, ‘What do you think I am?’ He answers, ‘I know what you are. We are just haggling over the price.’

I don't think I want to change your mind, or get you to change the show back so it suits my tastes more, but from the way you sounded you didn't sound comfortable with your decision to accept the betting sponsorship. So that's why I commented. I think you should definitely do what makes you happiest. 

3 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Episode #109 of OSIB is now out. 

Josh and @Davefevsjoin me to discuss the win against Exeter.

I promise I'm a lot less unbearable than you can imagine considering Antoine's wonder strike!

Links and that

I'm 10 minutes into the episode and I just wanted to give my take on the contentious betting advertisement. You've got my full support (for what that's worth ha) @Shtanley and OSIB contributors, for the amount of work and commitment you've put into the podcast out of your own time and pocket. I'm actually very pleased in fact that you have been rewarded for that work. Of course people will have their own moral reasons and they are entitled to those but that shouldn't stop you benefiting from the copious hours you've put in.

Also I don't get this idea you've become too conjoined with the clubs hierarchy and your now held under moral obligations to not criticise the club, I just feel you have a different take on discussion points that don't fit in with those fans/listeners opinions. Without sounding like my tongue is proverbially up your backside anymore good job and keep these episodes coming. 

5 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I'm 10 minutes into the episode and I just wanted to give my take on the contentious betting advertisement. You've got my full support (for what that's worth ha) @Shtanley and OSIB contributors, for the amount of work and commitment you've put into the podcast out of your own time and pocket. I'm actually very pleased in fact that you have been rewarded for that work. Of course people will have their own moral reasons and they are entitled to those but that shouldn't stop you benefiting from the copious hours you've put in.

Ditto that, not precious about it at all.

In fact, milk the bastards for all you can get - which would mirror their business ethos.

You've sold your soul Stanley! 

Na, only joking. Fair play to you mate. If you can make some money out of doing something you love then you've cracked it. You put out some real good content which deserves reward. Living in Oz, you're my go to source for City info. In fact towards the end of last season I was looking forward to the podcasts more than the games! ?

Also the other thing I thought about when I woke up was, is it ok for @Shtanley to advertise his business on here for free (if he is)? Even if it is BCFC related?

Should you be taking out adverts with the forum and paying some advertising fee? Maybe it should work the way a lot of sub-reddits do. Where the person involved or people involved can't just promote their own content and someone unconnected to the money making venture should link it if they think it's worth discussing. In this case it would be none of the podcast guests.

Interested in the supporters trust views on this.

7 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Also the other thing I thought about when I woke up was, is it ok for @Shtanley to advertise his business on here for free (if he is)? Even if it is BCFC related?

Should you be taking out adverts with the forum and paying some advertising fee? Maybe it should work the way a lot of sub-reddits do. Where the person involved or people involved can't just promote their own content and someone unconnected to the money making venture should link it if they think it's worth discussing. In this case it would be none of the podcast guests.

That’s what you thought about when you woke up?! ?

28 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Jealous much?

8 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Jealous much?

Not at all. Good luck to him, and the others.

I'm not a paying customer of his so my opinions don't really matter to his business. but hey, he did ask for opinions.

Edit, actually no, I AM envious that he gets to watch the live games. But I haven't put in any work to deserve that so I'm not going to complain about it!

32 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Isn’t OSIB a podcast spinoff of OTIB?  That’s where it originated from iirc.

Good stuff again @Shtanley and great to hear from Josh and @Davefevs

As for sponsorship; I’d say if the club are willing to take money from a betting company, struggle to see why you shouldn’t.

I’d be lying if I said I was happy personally about the close association between gambling and football, but it is what it is; as Josh said, the pod has come on leaps and bounds, and is down to hard work; getting recognition in the form of sponsorship isn’t something to feel guilty about.

Archived