IGNORED

One Semenyo in Bristol

Shtanley

50 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

That is true in a large part and I’d acknowledge I could have been a bit flippant in the original comment.

Truth is, for many of us our football team is the closest thing we have that isn’t family. Many of us may choose not to shop in x shop if the owner engaged in, I don’t know, Badger Baiting, but if our parents were Badger  Baiters we couldn’t cut them off as easily.

Point well made. ?

Brilliant analogy. Not sure I've ever seen badger baiting on here before so that's a first. 

17 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I hear what you’re saying but if you come out and make a vocal moral stand against betting advertising....surely you should have courage of your convictions?

Basically it’s saying I’ll make the small sacrifice of not listening to a podcast, to make a moral point and rub my moral ego.

But when push comes to shove, i’m not willing to make an actual sacrifice, stop watching City. 

And you make excuses like it’s ‘out of my control’ - well if it matters that much to you and you feel that strongly, it’s always in your control. Look at FC United of Manchester.

And ultimately, thousands and thousands more will see the Mansion Bet advertising through the club than hear it on a podcast.

Depends how you view things - whilst I’m not overly impressed with City taking betting company money for advertising I completely 100% accept its legal and that businesses in general have to take their revenue where they can whilst it remains legal. But if I was vehemently against betting company advertising it still wouldn’t stop me supporting City but I could see why it would stop me listening to a podcast, a radio station, etc - because to me they are completely separate entities. With City you have an affinity to the club and in most our cases an emotional investment over many many years; a podcast, radio or tv programme etc we don’t. It’s not like for like. Agree though that if someone doesn’t want to experience betting advertising full stop then they will not be able to do much online or watch much tv as it’s absolutely everywhere.  Hopefully it goes the same way as tobacco and is banned but that’s a personal view and won’t stop me engaging with the things I enjoy meanwhile. 

8 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

I bet LJ has used it in a post match presser once or twice mind

“If you like, when you play a side like Rotherham you know they’re going to sit deep so you’ve almost got to badger bait them you know? Set a trap so they come out and when they do, ask our busy bees to decelerate and work the space for box entries. That would not work though if Marlon stays in his cage, and although I don’t like to single players out, I thought he did that too much today and it meant we couldn’t, if you like, cause those jaws to snap..because you don’t want to get caught in it when they do (nervous smile and giggle)...”

4 hours ago, petehinton said:

Still far from the truth mate, just gotta listen to the Holden appointment ep where the criticism of the board and the process was pretty clear!

Totally get the viewpoint and concern, but it’s just not the case. Also understand you probably would expect me to say that & dont believe it. I probably would too

Not sure that’s the best example, it was incredibly tame compared to what most supporters would have said. 

Just read this entire thread and whilst I have no real opinion on the power of sponsorship and the advertisements we all receive across a range of different media, I am currently minded to not listen the the latest OSIB until I order a new t-shirt, which I'll only buy if I can have some sort of free wager on when it might turn up.

10 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Just read this entire thread and whilst I have no real opinion on the power of sponsorship and the advertisements we all receive across a range of different media, I am currently minded to not listen the the latest OSIB until I order a new t-shirt, which I'll only buy if I can have some sort of free wager on when it might turn up.

…and a free badger 

I'm not bothered about the sponsorship. That's only going to support @Shtanley and the podcast in the long run. 

It's great to be back into the football chat. 

I thought the review of the Exeter game was good and the preview of the Coventry game was brilliant (well done @Davefevs

The only thing that I thought was amusing was the "Oh Shtanley you were wonderful" section masquerading as a review of Robins TV.

On the whole though, OSIB provides the essential soundtrack to my kitchen work. 

I dont often comment on OTIB but read every day but in this instance @shtanley I feel obliged to tap the keyboard. As others have commented you certainly sounded a tad unsure about accepting the sponsorship. Seriously pal after all the hard work that both yourself and the other presenters put into producing a quality podcast the sponsorship "deal" is the least that you all deserve?  Just keep on serving up brilliant entertainment and thought provoking views.  Good on you pal.

Adverts are obviously annoying.

But it's not cheap to run successful podcasts and there's nothing wrong with you making a few quid out of it.

Go for it I say!

Or hang on until Spotify offer you $100million. You might have to do a series called "A Spliff With Elon Musk" to get the big money though.

Archived