IGNORED

Centre Backs (Merged)

Hampshire reds

with Dean wanting to play 3 centre halfs and Baker out until at least Christmas .Have we got enough cover.  The signing of Mawson is a great deal if he stays fit.  i am not totally convinced Taylor Moore or Zac  are good enough for what is a very tough division.  would it be wise to get one more centre half in.  the midfield looks as good as any team in this league as does the forward line if Fam stays. the back 3 not convinced. 

I think the answer to that question depends on a few things;

How well Moore & Vyner (who will probably get the Northampton game) do up until the window closes & that Kalas & Mawson stay fit.

Secondly on how many we shift over the next month before the window closes, by my calculations (& excluding Morton) we now have 14 players who could be considered options for midfield in our squad. This is at least 4 too many, so moving on the likes of Adelakun, Szmodics, Bakinson (on loan) & at least 1 more (maybe Eliasson or possibly someone left field, like Nagy) would create space that may fund another CB, though clearly we are looking at a RB first.

10 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

with Dean wanting to play 3 centre halfs and Baker out until at least Christmas .Have we got enough cover.  The signing of Mawson is a great deal if he stays fit.  i am not totally convinced Taylor Moore or Zac  are good enough for what is a very tough division.  would it be wise to get one more centre half in.  the midfield looks as good as any team in this league as does the forward line if Fam stays. the back 3 not convinced. 

Really?

25 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

What we could really do with is player that can play RWB and CB.  Earlier in the summer I thought it might be useful to get a CM who could play CB, but when Williams signed I don’t think we need another CM (we’ve got plenty).  Someone like Chalobah with his versatility would’ve been great, but he went elsewhere.

I’m actually angling towards (if I had the choice) Pereira over Sessegnon, because he could play RCB too.  That would give us Kalas, Moore, Mawson with Vyner and Pereira as the cover.  At least get us to Xmas and see where we are with Baker.

Its gonna be tough to bring in a CB and not be able to guarantee them minutes, or if you do, you are going to block Moore...and Vyner.  That’s why Pereira makes a bit of sense over Sessegnon...plus he’s slots straight back into a squad he knows.

I think in the current COVID climate, you don't sign a player of the stature and wages of Mawson and then sign a 6th centre back for the squad. 

We will put our trust in Vyner and Moore to prove themselves, and given the circumstances, it is likely the right thing to do (and the only thing we actually can do).

Moore - I'm convinced Moore will be a Championship quality player but he has a few kinks that need to be ironed out, whether this will come with playing time at this level or if it's going to take some serious coaching, I'm not sure but I think he could be a part of our back three
Vyner - I'm not sure about Vyner yet, still very much a raw talent IMO but he's never going to improve if he doesn't get playing time, much like Moore.
Baker - Genuinely a great defender when fit and healthy but much like Korey I can see his career being very much defined by how often he is injured. At this point I think he's pushing it for me, I mean if he cannot stay fit and healthy for a the majority of games throughout the season then how can we build a cohesive defence with him as a part of it?
Kalas - Has his good days and his bad days but with the right players around him he is as good as any defender in this league
Mawson - Another player that is more than capable so long as he can stay fit. I have to think that the plan is for him to play most games so I'm hoping that our staff are confident that he will remain fit for the season.
Rowe - Cover at best, I don't know what it is about Rowe but he hits me as a journeyman, he doesn't excell anywhere but he can do a job when needed.

Looking at those 6 options I would say we have two youngsters who can stay fit but may not yet be up to a promotion push, three senior defenders who are all very capable but two of which are questionable in their fitness, Baker being a large concern, and then a midfielder who can cover in the system if required.
There is a tough decision ahead, do we gamble by bringing in yet another defender and if our current ones stay fit we could be wasting wages or do we look at add one more to ensure injuries are not going to cause us problems? Personally I think this is it for the season and the hope is to use Mason, Kalas and one other, most likely Moore, until Baker returns and hope for no injuries. If we do get more injuries I think Vyner or Rowe will step in depending on the opposition.

2 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I think in the current COVID climate, you don't sign a player of the stature and wages of Mawson and then sign a 6th centre back for the squad. 

We will put our trust in Vyner and Moore to prove themselves, and given the circumstances, it is likely the right thing to do (and the only thing we actually can do).

In emergency, for the bench , is there an academy youngster who could step up ? 

Or will Cundy be recalled from Cambridge in January as back up ?

1 hour ago, Berkshire Red said:

Really don't agree the midfield looks as good as any in this league? 

Walsh, Morrell, Williams, Massengo and Nagy? Certainly seen stronger central options than that 

Add Szmodics (maybe), Palmer, Paterson, Weimann and perhaps even O’Dowda to that, assuming we persist with 352 

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

i agree we have to unload a few players first.  Williams walsh  and  morrell is a good midfield 3. 

How do we know that? 

I’ll give you Williams, as he played in the championship last season. But Walsh and Morrell? They haven’t played consistently above league one before. Pretty much completely untested. How do we know they are going to be good enough in the centre of the park, against experienced championship midfielders/strikers? I hope you are right. 

1 minute ago, Red white and red said:

How do we know that? 

I’ll give you Williams, as he played in the championship last season. But Walsh and Morrell? They haven’t played consistently above league one before. Pretty much completely untested. How do we know they are going to be good enough in the centre of the park, against experienced championship midfielders/strikers? I hope you are right. 

I think Morrell will be fine, not sure about Walsh.

1 minute ago, Red white and red said:

How do we know that? 

I think last year shows they are at least ready for the chance. To bring in another experienced midfielder would just make a mockery of the pathway and lose us some serious potential ££££ if Walsh and Morrell were to come good. 

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

i agree we have to unload a few players first.  Williams walsh  and  morrell is a good midfield 3. 

Walsh and Morrell are totally unproven at this level. 

You can only be basing your thoughts on some 2nd hand reports of performances in different teams, at a lower level, at this moment in time. 

2 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I think last year shows they are at least ready for the chance. To bring in another experienced midfielder would just make a mockery of the pathway and lose us some serious potential ££££ if Walsh and Morrell were to come good. 

Mate I don’t dispute that, and I agree with you. I have read a lot of posts on here regarding Morrell and Walsh and how they are deemed to be ‘ready’ for the championship. A lot of people have pinned their hopes on them both.  After a few mistakes, or being outmuscled a couple of times in the first game, fans will quickly get on their backs. We are, after all, an extremely fickle bunch.

Also, as I said before, they are untested at championship level pretty much, so for them to be 2 of 3 in the middle for the season, with the owners ambitions of play-offs at least, is a big ask. 

1 minute ago, Hampshire reds said:

Morrell is becoming a regular in the wesh team midfield. he can handle championship football. 

Could argue so can Walsh after he was one of Covs best players last season. Personally I think we are too lightweight in midfield in the sense that there is no real presence to win headers or second balls etc. Pack was pretty good at.

46 minutes ago, Spike said:

Moore - I'm convinced Moore will be a Championship quality player but he has a few kinks that need to be ironed out, whether this will come with playing time at this level or if it's going to take some serious coaching, I'm not sure but I think he could be a part of our back three
Vyner - I'm not sure about Vyner yet, still very much a raw talent IMO but he's never going to improve if he doesn't get playing time, much like Moore.
Baker - Genuinely a great defender when fit and healthy but much like Korey I can see his career being very much defined by how often he is injured. At this point I think he's pushing it for me, I mean if he cannot stay fit and healthy for a the majority of games throughout the season then how can we build a cohesive defence with him as a part of it?
Kalas - Has his good days and his bad days but with the right players around him he is as good as any defender in this league
Mawson - Another player that is more than capable so long as he can stay fit. I have to think that the plan is for him to play most games so I'm hoping that our staff are confident that he will remain fit for the season.
Rowe - Cover at best, I don't know what it is about Rowe but he hits me as a journeyman, he doesn't excell anywhere but he can do a job when needed.

Looking at those 6 options I would say we have two youngsters who can stay fit but may not yet be up to a promotion push, three senior defenders who are all very capable but two of which are questionable in their fitness, Baker being a large concern, and then a midfielder who can cover in the system if required.
There is a tough decision ahead, do we gamble by bringing in yet another defender and if our current ones stay fit we could be wasting wages or do we look at add one more to ensure injuries are not going to cause us problems? Personally I think this is it for the season and the hope is to use Mason, Kalas and one other, most likely Moore, until Baker returns and hope for no injuries. If we do get more injuries I think Vyner or Rowe will step in depending on the opposition.

Think that’s a bit harsh on Rowe to call him a ‘journeyman’. 

Mr Dependable/Consistency for me. Seems to slot in anywhere and give 6, occasionally, 7/10 performances in any position. Wish that could be said for a number of LJs ‘favourites’. 

He ain’t going to win us the League, but he won’t let us down either. Every Club needs a Rowe.

Archived