IGNORED

Williams and Fam

Ska Junkie

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

What's the latest on Williams injury and is there any news on Fams contract?

Seems to have gone very quiet on both, sadly.

Williams going to miss 3-4 games. 

All quiet on Fam front.  He said he wanted to stay but who knows if something has changed.  Since then another club could have come in for him and offered to double his wages 

Just now, And Its Smith said:

All quiet on Fam front.  He said he wanted to stay but who knows if something has changed.  Since then another club could have come in for him and offered to double his wages 

Thanks AIS.

Would have been nice for Williams to start against Cov but it is what it is and Morrell will be fine in that role I guess.

23 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I get the feeling that Fam needs to feel loved. I don't think he reacted well to Afobe coming in and I am not sure whether he sees Martin as a threat now.

I think Fam will go. No inside knowledge, just gut feel. Not signed yet, in last year of contract and more pertinently I think in a 3-5-2 with the press/runners he’s probably going to be behind Martin and Wells. The presence of both Martin and Williams will also lessen his loss at corners defensively.

I think if he’s not going to be first choice at this stage of his career he’d want to go, and he may not be the best fit for the system above other squad options. Mutual parting of ways with us getting a decent fee looks on the cards to me.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I get the feeling that Fam needs to feel loved. I don't think he reacted well to Afobe coming in and I am not sure whether he sees Martin as a threat now.

I wouldn't put Fam down as one who shies away from a bit of competition TBH. The opposite in fact.

16 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I wouldn't put Fam down as one who shies away from a bit of competition TBH. The opposite in fact.

Indeed. This time last year, a lot of us - me included - thought Fam was going to get displaced and other players would be ahead of him. He responded by winning player of the season. I think he'll respond well to Martin coming in.

But I also think football careers are short and money and opportunities talk. I believe Fam is sincere in wanting to stay here but, if his agent thinks he can line up something better and convince Fam it is a good move, then he will do that. I'd love him to stay but, either way, I'd like it to be resolved quickly. 

20 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think Fam will go. No inside knowledge, just gut feel. Not signed yet, in last year of contract and more pertinently I think in a 3-5-2 with the press/runners he’s probably going to be behind Martin and Wells. The presence of both Martin and Williams will also lessen his loss at corners defensively.

I think if he’s not going to be first choice at this stage of his career he’d want to go, and he may not be the best fit for the system above other squad options. Mutual parting of ways with us getting a decent fee looks on the cards to me.

Was chatting through similar with another poster.....Gregor said that Semenyo is staying around, my question is whether that is as 4th striker (Fam off) or 5th.

My gut feel is that he may go too.

31 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

My thoughts exactly. What we don't know is what opportunities are on the table for him, but the scene is set for him to make a lucrative career move for his prime years.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was chatting through similar with another poster.....Gregor said that Semenyo is staying around, my question is whether that is as 4th striker (Fam off) or 5th.

Yeah, Semenyo as 5th option seems a bit much to me. We've currently got 5 very different forward options and even with a busy schedule, 3 senior pros plus hungry young Semenyo should be enough (and that's presuming Szmodics and Palmer are out of the picture).

39 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It sounds like his agent has touted him about and there are no takers at the price we want to sell at and/or he can't get a better financial deal than city are offering elsewhere. Best he either signs a new contract or gets out of Dodge, dragging things out like COD did does no-one any favours.

46 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

What we calling decent? £5m? Basically our money back? 

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

What we calling decent? £5m? Basically our money back? 

Yeah, I’d probably take that. I know I don’t rate Fam as highly as others on here but fact remains he’s a bit of a curates egg. Big man but not target man, good in the air at the back but (with some exceptions) not great at the other end, decent goal return but you’re never confident he’s going to finish. Fams at his best when he’s wound up but that historically hasn’t happened often enough. A few times prior his lack of desire frustrated me but I think he has made real strides there in the last season.

I wouldn’t begrudge him a move and a payday, but there’s nothing in him that if you were a nailed on top 6 club at this level you’d say he was your man. With COVID Finances and time left on contract, I think money back would be a decent result and he’d leave with everyone’s thanks and goodwill.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe he sees AW as an attacking midfield player. That would mean Fam, Wells, Martin and Semenyo as the 4 and AW as an alternative if required?

Would be interested to see people's opinions....

would you be willing to keep Fam for the season but face the risk of him not signing a new deal and leaving for free, or selling for say £4-5m and bringing in a player more suited to a pressing system such as Macaulay Bonne and having money in the bank for January?

I really like Fam, his personality is fantastic, he has a good relationship with the fans and I think he improved his general play last season. However we can't sit around much longer and hope he signs a new deal. £4-5m (I would expect if sold) is a substancial amount for us and he would be free to sign a pre-contract with other clubs in January. 

I think Ashton will be starting to push for a decision within the next 2 weeks, or looking for potential buyers before the window shuts. 

If we did end up selling both Fam and Eliasson we could have a healthy budget in the pot for January, if required. I would expect around £8-10m from combined sales. 

1 hour ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

would you be willing to keep Fam for the season but face the risk of him not signing a new deal and leaving for free, or selling for say £4-5m and bringing in a player more suited to a pressing system such as Macaulay Bonne and having money in the bank for January?

I really like Fam, his personality is fantastic, he has a good relationship with the fans and I think he improved his general play last season. However we can't sit around much longer and hope he signs a new deal. £4-5m (I would expect if sold) is a substancial amount for us and he would be free to sign a pre-contract with other clubs in January. 

I think Ashton will be starting to push for a decision within the next 2 weeks, or looking for potential buyers before the window shuts. 

If we did end up selling both Fam and Eliasson we could have a healthy budget in the pot for January, if required. I would expect around £8-10m from combined sales. 

Any player with £x million value should not be allowed to wind their contract down.  If he won’t sign before the mid-end of this month, then got to move him on.

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Any player with £x million value should not be allowed to wind their contract down.  If he won’t sign before the mid-end of this month, then got to move him on.

This is something we have been caught out on too many times in the past. Bryan, Brownhill and Reid (lucky he had the season he had, when he did). 

There's a reluctance for players to sign a new deal with us until we progress. 

Currently listening to 'sound of the city' to see if Holden has any more to say on this (Fam and Nic). 

Personally, I would like Fam to stay. However, If he won't sign a new deal I would like us to bring in a striker who can press well, instead of a like for like replacement. I really would love to see us go for Bonne. I think he could do very well for us. 

The one I would love to see sign a new deal would be Liam Walsh. I believe he can be a fantastic player and seems a perfect fit for our new system. 

6 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I must admit I had never heard of him so looked him up on WIKI.

He plays for Charlton, and I see he has a sibling, who I also looked up....

Siblings: Chandler Bonne

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

A couple of good, scoring, cameos and Semenyo may end up 1st striker at some time during the season.

Unlikely, but i'm certain that will be going through his head.

Archived