IGNORED

What a week ...

sticks 1969

• Admin
7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Always confident we'd get this right. I think that could be it for incomings. On paper it looks fantastic.

Now we just need to sell and loan out a number of players.

And now probably the biggest question is what happens with Fam. 

Very true. 

On paper the squad looks decent 

But the squad looks massively heavy in midfield 

Now to do it on the pitch where it matters

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

They'll be easy enough to move on.

Palmer loan possibly perm

Szmodics loan or perm no problem with apparently lots of interest

Nagy perm no problem with i imagine foreign clubs having interest in him

Bakinson loan to league one

Morton loan to league two

Midfield options Brunt, Williams, Morrell, Walsh, Massengo, Paterson or Weimann if not up top.

That could be bloody good

Agree with most of that, but not sure that we’ll want to sell Nagy.

2 minutes ago, Atyeo's Love Child said:

Agree with most of that, but not sure that we’ll want to sell Nagy.

Agree. Seeing a lot of people write this guy off or tipping him to be the one sold or not involved in first choice midfield. I actually think he could be one of most important players this campaign, now he’s fully fit. There is one hell of a player there for this level. 

21 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

Some good quality signings 

tidy new home kit 

city giving refunds on games we can’t attend 

I must be dreaming ......

Does restore a bit of faith in the club. I gotta be honest and I thought my lifelong City love affair was fading a bit, but, naaah, we're City fans, hope springs eternal, COYR, I'm up for it again.  :city:

I'd only caution that we've seen seemingly great signings not work out, lose form, seem uninterested, sustain horrible injuries in their first game and (once) have to leave after getting into a dressing room punch-up. Let's see a few games before we get really excited.

image.jpeg.d7277e3c344fe5b0548b2912d685f56f.jpeg

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

Technically a fine player, but he doesnt offer protection defensively, nor is he particularly dynamic going forwards, and he doesnt carry the goal threat of pato either

You must have missed his 50 yard sprint to prevent a certain goal in Istanbul the other night then, and maybe you missed Fulham away last season where he demonstrated against one of the best midfields in the league just how effective he is at popping up in dangerous areas. Him and Massengo that day were absolutely class. 

I am a bit meh about most of the signings. Not having a go just not thrilled.

Martin - doesn’t make sense to me if Fam is staying. Offered Fam new deal so not sure where minutes will go. Think Famara is better than Martin

Brunt - if he plays LCB which I think is possible then all for it. If in midfield who is he taking minutes from? It is not Fifa/FM where all young players get better I get that. That said we have 4 young midfielders who all deserve good minutes for 3 spots as well as “older” options in Paterson, Palmer and Nagy. Does not make sense to add another in there to me. 

Sessengnon - have seen him play here and there and I always got the sense he was nervous on the ball. Maybe I saw a bad game and is what I am remembering but that right side felt weak. He was nervous on the ball and nervous/rash defending. He may well be better than Hunt one day but not sure he will be better at any point in this season. I’d be happy to be wrong on this but would have preferred Pereira back. Perhaps we wanted him back but couldn’t which is fine just not sold on SS. 

Mawson & Williams - no problems and fanatastic signings. 

We did need experience and leadership but think you can get that from 25-27 year olds who still have a lot of high quality football to give. 

33 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I am a bit meh about most of the signings. Not having a go just not thrilled.

Martin - doesn’t make sense to me if Fam is staying. Offered Fam new deal so not sure where minutes will go. Think Famara is better than Martin

Brunt - if he plays LCB which I think is possible then all for it. If in midfield who is he taking minutes from? It is not Fifa/FM where all young players get better I get that. That said we have 4 young midfielders who all deserve good minutes for 3 spots as well as “older” options in Paterson, Palmer and Nagy. Does not make sense to add another in there to me. 

Sessengnon - have seen him play here and there and I always got the sense he was nervous on the ball. Maybe I saw a bad game and is what I am remembering but that right side felt weak. He was nervous on the ball and nervous/rash defending. He may well be better than Hunt one day but not sure he will be better at any point in this season. I’d be happy to be wrong on this but would have preferred Pereira back. Perhaps we wanted him back but couldn’t which is fine just not sold on SS. 

Mawson & Williams - no problems and fanatastic signings. 

We did need experience and leadership but think you can get that from 25-27 year olds who still have a lot of high quality football to give. 

Good post.

I suspect that the arrival of Martin and especially Brunt are to give a young squad the sort of help that Wilbs and Wade Elliott did with the Cotterell promotion team. Not to block the pathway for young ones like Morrell, Walsh, Bakinson, Vyner and Semenyo.

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Technically a fine player, but he doesnt offer protection defensively, nor is he particularly dynamic going forwards, and he doesnt carry the goal threat of pato either

If you had watched his recent international games, he has been praised highly for his defensive work rate in tracking back and breaking up play. His fitness and lack of injury will make a big difference to our perception of him this season

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Shape he's been played in doesn't always help.

You critique him defensively but notable that he had some good defensive stats this week across both his games- as well as the obvious technical excellence.

8 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

We have to cut our cloth accordingly, the type of player you mentioned would be at the top of their game and be more expensive and also more likely to go to a fashionable big club.

We have here Paterson, Weimann and Famaral to name but a few who fall into the category.

We must also look at player motivation, Brunt and Martin will feel wanted and surely will appreciate that this may be their last chance of glory before calling time on their careers.

3 hours ago, supercidered said:

Yea right. Pull the other one its got bells on.

Whilst this change of direction is welcome by most of us, don't kid yourself that this has anything to do with us i.e. the fans.

If however, you were being sarcastic.... then fair enough.

I was trying to be sarcastic, I think its a little PR sweetener just to keep fans on side especially after the shambolic last few months.

Archived