IGNORED

Someone is MIA

phantom

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Just wondering, and this isn't a criticism but where is Mark Ashton? 

I can't say I've seen him mentioned in any of the recent signings? 

In the past he would have been doing interviews etc following signings 

Has his role changed? 

I imagine he's been far too busy a bee (to quote our last head coach) to do stuff like media.

I’m sure a few good results at the start of the season he’ll be back out again. Didn’t seem to handle the announcement of Holden very well especially on radio Bristol and hasn’t really been seen since, that was probably the first time I’ve seen him struggle with his words. Feel his heads on the chopping block now.

• Admin
12 minutes ago, !james said:

Pretty sure he has made comments against most of the recent signings on the stories on the official site... 

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/mawson-boosts-city-defence/

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/brunt-adds-to-robins-quality/

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-secure-sessegnon-loan/

Definitely low profile compared to the past 

42 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

I’m sure a few good results at the start of the season he’ll be back out again. Didn’t seem to handle the announcement of Holden very well especially on radio Bristol and hasn’t really been seen since, that was probably the first time I’ve seen him struggle with his words. Feel his heads on the chopping block now.

His heads really not on the chopping block. Safe in his job. No doubt about that.  Look at all these signings. He’s a big part to play in that 

46 minutes ago, phantom said:

Just wondering, and this isn't a criticism but where is Mark Ashton? 

I can't say I've seen him mentioned in any of the recent signings? 

In the past he would have been doing interviews etc following signings 

Has his role changed? 

He’s commented on every signing , all be it just a couple of sentences. How it should be really 

19 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

What part of the interview did he struggle with because I thought he simply answered all the questions fired at him.

It was very unimpressive Jon. He was evasive, sounded defensive and a bit unprepared for the line of questioning. It’s all a matter of taste but I’m surprised if anyone thought that was a good interview.

8 hours ago, Aipearcey said:

What a bizarre take on things..! 

When DH was appointed, amidst an almighty shitstorm, he did a long, in depth interview on local radio and came across very well. Explaining and backing the appointment. 

Ever since, the club have done exactly what he said they would, in backing him and also, everything I've heard from DH since, very much ties in with MA's claims that once they'd spoken to the shortlist, Holden was their first choice, with what he said and how he presented. 

No question that the appointment is a risk, but the early signs have been very positive, imo. 

MA has made comments on all signings not as in depth as they were. 

There could be a number of reasons for this, contract negotiations (as quite a few players are out of contract this coming summer), talking to clubs about taking our players on loan. Training ground work (as CEO he will have some overview of this). 

Or it could be from the backlash from some of the fans over Deano's appointment he's decided to take a step back and say "this is him, this is the reason why we hired him he's going to make a difference for you". 

15 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I have no doubt he’s gonna get wheeled out on either Friday evening or Saturday before the Coventry game, with an interview of him sat in the Lansdown, talking about the season ahead blah blah. 

He'd get criticised if he didn't, by snowflakes who feel the need to kept informed about every little thing. 

I didn’t think his Twentyman interview was very good....he’s usually more polished.  He struggled to answer some questions convincingly.

As for the job he does, i think the “he only comes out when we are winning” is unfair.  He tends to be seen when big things are going on, and during transfer windows.  As CEO and heading up Recruitment, i don’t see the problem.

2 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

I have no doubt he’s gonna get wheeled out on either Friday evening or Saturday before the Coventry game, with an interview of him sat in the Lansdown, talking about the season ahead blah blah. 

It would be better if the club just let him get on with the job which he does very well.

I don’t mind hearing from him once or twice a season or if there is something major going on but other than that let the team do the talking .

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

What part of the interview did he struggle with because I thought he simply answered all the questions fired at him.

It was a bad interview , he knew he was delivering a message that wasn’t going to be well received. He clearly didn’t like the questioning from Twentyman and became flustered, something I’ve not seen him like that before. 

However, he has done well this window so far 

Ashton does a pretty good job overall. Certainly as the chief negotiator. In that he’s very tough and these recent signing are pretty much down him backing Deano and thrashing out the best deal for the club.

He’s become far less corporate in his vernacular which one criticism aimed at him when he first joined. Who knows? maybe he reads otib............:cool2:. He took some serious stick during the head coach appointment saga with the deafening silence from Junior and him and more recently he’s been more communicative with us fans - coincidence maybe?

We could certainly be worse off if MA wasn’t  CEO.

3 minutes ago, daored said:

It was a bad interview , he knew he was delivering a message that wasn’t going to be well received. He clearly didn’t like the questioning from Twentyman and became flustered, something I’ve not seen him like that before. 

However, he has done well this window so far 

Agreed, he was flustered and the responses weren't as "polished" and coated in BS/jargon as they usually are.

It's no coincidence that since he's come on board, we've become more professional in the manner we deal with transfers in and out. Annoyed there aren't as many rumours? That'll be because the leaks have been plugged. It also can't be argued that we no longer get poor deals with regards to players leaving - we're no longer pushovers in that respect.

On the whole, he does his job well. He is going to get flack though just like any manager or coach will do if results don't go well. You can't come out and cover yourself in glory when something goes well, and not expect to get it in the neck when something goes wrong (or you seemingly appoint the cheap option when caviar was on offer beforehand).

Just now, JonDolman said:

He did as well as he could. And for me that means he did well. They could have just not had an interview at all so fair play for him and the club for going on radio Bristol. 

I don't think there was anything he could have said which would have pleased people. So I thought he did well.

Sorry mate , at the time the majority of  the fan base were against the appointment. Mark Ashton would have / should have known that and in my opinion was not prepared for the obvious questioning the appointment would receive 

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He was ready because he knew how some of the fan base were not happy and what they were not happy about. Unless no one told him about the response on social media. Which would surprise me.

I can't remember one question he could not answer. 

For me, it was the way he answered "Why Dean Holden?" 

I'd have liked him to elaborate more on why DH was the stand-out candidate, not just being a fantastic human. What did he have that set him apart from the other candidates? This shouldn't have been difficult to articulate and something he could have easily prepared for. He may have answered it, but it wasn't a good enough answer IMO.

In terms of public appearances, I'd rather his focus was on getting the players that DH wants, and getting good prices for the players we have to sell. I don't personally feel the need for him to have regular interviews/public appearances. It's usually just cliché filled waffle anyway. 

15 hours ago, Aipearcey said:

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

What a bizarre take on things..! 

When DH was appointed, amidst an almighty shitstorm, he did a long, in depth interview on local radio and came across very well. Explaining and backing the appointment. 

Ever since, the club have done exactly what he said they would, in backing him and also, everything I've heard from DH since, very much ties in with MA's claims that once they'd spoken to the shortlist, Holden was their first choice, with what he said and how he presented. 

No question that the appointment is a risk, but the early signs have been very positive, imo. 

What Aipearcey has done is just follow the myth that MA just appears when we are doing well and hides the rest of the time.
The time MA has done interviews is actually pretty consistent in being before/after transfer windows.

I would expect that we will see one either shortly before or shortly after the current one shuts.

Edit, maybe before this weekends game as Dolly says, but we've had ones from him around the end of the summer window before.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I am actually glad he didn't go into specific details of what he said in the interview that got him the job. We can just wait and see what he will do for ourselves.

But surely that type of insight would have helped at the time of the appointment?

38 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It seems like the only way some people would have been happy (although actually wouldn't be any happier) is if Ashton told everyone what Holden said in his interviews. Absolutely no chance of that happening and glad it didn't.

Listen to dean speak last night , open & honest - happy to accept his flaws speaks about how much the job means to him. Everybody whose listened to that interview appear impressed. If Ashton had taken that approach I think many would have been more receptive. 

Archived