IGNORED

So who is leaving

liamhealeybcfc96

37 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

2 games a week on average. 

DH has said that will have to rotate as required. 

Some will get sub time others rest, others play. 

This isnt about loaning

Given high tempo high press and changes as mentioned i think DH is going to pick teams based on what he think will work against the opposition, which means we will see some very different pairings as the season goes on. 

Regards development, all capable of playing champs or higher so let them get experience playing there when it's available. 

Knackered players cost us when we went high tempo, high press before, this time we dont have that issue. 

I'm expecting lots of rotation as season goes on following DHs comnents. 

Football is a long way from 1st XI forever this time around and that could be in our favour. 

Good post RMLF.  Was really good to hear Holden talk about “one formation, but different ways to use it” or words to that effect.

I got the impression with LJ that his ego made him believe that the system he deployed would always win through....but football doesn’t work like that.  The rigidity meant we tried to pass out from the back against excellent high press teams like Millwall and Blackburn at home...and got caught.  Great to hear Holden talk about sometimes going over (bypassing) the press, or going down the wings.

For me it shows a head-coach understanding the way the theory might look good on a 10ft screen, but might not work in a match.

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I think Nagy, Adelakun, Palmer, Szmodics, Elliason and Bakinson will all leave. Mixture of loan and permanent. 

I think you could be right there but I reckon we'll keep hold of Palmer if Szmodics goes. We need another creative attacking midfielder if Paterson loses form/gets injured and also I don't think Palmer would have many realistic takers on loan given his wages.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bakinson stays given Holden's interview last night but I think it might be more beneficial for him to get a good league 1 loan where he starts 85%+ of games.

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I think Nagy, Adelakun, Palmer, Szmodics, Elliason and Bakinson will all leave. Mixture of loan and permanent. 

Those are the candidates in the main.  I’d probably remove Nagy from the list, but if we were to get an offer, who knows.

GK: Bentley O'Leary Gilmartin (Jojo should be sent out as 3rd keeper unlikely to play.)

CB: Vyner, Moore, Baker, Mawson, Kalas, Rowe

LWB: Brunt, Dasilva

RWB: Hunt, Sessegnon

CM: Williams, Morrell, Walsh, Massengo, Paterson, Weimann.

FW: Semenyo, Diedhiou, Martin, Wells

That's 23 which I think is pretty ideal but have some reasons to keep it slightly higher below.

If Eliasson signs a contract and can learn to do the RWB role, that's ideal considering Sessegnon is on loan and Hunt last year of deal IIRC.

Same for O'Dowda at LWB. If he's good at it then that's us covered and free to release Rowe and Brunt at seasons end.

I don't know if he rates Adam Nagy, I think he might be the odd one out if Walsh signs the deal. We have 6 players for the three roles, + Rowe, + Brunt + Bakinson who I didn't list.

Definitely out: Palmer, Szmodics. Moving Palmer is hard though.

This what I'd do..

Use down the centre of midfield: Morrell, Walsh, Williams, Massengo, Pato, Nagy

Retain but loan out: Bakinson, Morton, Palmer

Sell: Szmodics, Adelakun, Elliason, O'Dowda

Brunt I've got a feeling he'll be covering CB and maybe the odd appearance in midfield.

11 hours ago, liamhealeybcfc96 said:

We have lots of midfielders now  I feel some will get moved on Either on loan or permanent which out of these will leave 

Adam Nagy 

Han Noah Massengo

Joe Morrell

Joe Williams

Liam Walsh

Jamie Paterson

kasey Palmer

Sammie  Szmodics 

Chris Brunt 

Niclas Eliasson 

Callum O’Dowda 

Tyreeq Bakinson 

Hakeeb Adelakun 

⬆️

Just my opinion.

I think KP and SS will go fairly quickly.

People need to remember that this is going to be a compressed season and we have some guys (Nagy, Morrell, Kalas, possibly Wiemann, Fam, Sessegnon u21s) who will be playing international football on top of that. Rotation will be essential, so I think keeping HNM, Nagy, Morrell, Walsh, Pato, Williams, maybe even Bakinson happy in terms of game time might not be as difficult as you think. Same at centre back. Players will need a rest. I suspect that's a big part of Martin coming in; it means that Fam can have a rest (assuming he stays). Some of those lower cost options in midfield especially might be very important this season

Think people also need to prepare for the departure of fam. Not signed yet despite a good contract on the table. Personally think he’s waiting for an offer abroad to come to fruition as at his age, he’s reaching his prime and will want to play at a higher level.

5 minutes ago, One Team said:

Completely agree. I would be really unhappy to see players like Morrell leave or go out on loan and have COD still hanging around.

I'm not sure that COD will be going anywhere.

He's pretty versatile playing out wide, midfield, or wing back.

But he does need to nail down his favoured position and if a club came in for him offering that opportunity, then he may well be off. But I don't think he's one that the club wants to offload.

As a side point, I don't get the vitriol aimed at him by some - says more about them than him imo (not aimed at you btw).

1 hour ago, tin said:

Szmodics (sold)

Eliasson (sold)

Adelakun (sold, released, or loan)

Palmer (sold, loan)

Shame I can’t see O’Dowda leaving, and I’d be pissed right off if Morrell or Walsh are let go. 

How I see it too. 

We'll only miss Eliasson out of that lot, but he seems set on moving, so....

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

How I see it too. 

We'll only miss Eliasson out of that lot, but he seems set on moving, so....

From what I've heard Eliasson is happy to stay, but he switched agent last year and he's the one trying to engineer a move away. I'm a big Eliasson fan but he's not a central midfielder and shouldn't be shoe-horned into the midfield three when we have so many central midfielders on the books. He doesn't fit the system and will play for far bigger clubs than us on the continent, I'm sure. It makes sense to cash in now. 

I also think we will regret moving Szmodics on, not fussed on the others and I can't see clubs queing up to take Palmer. 

33 minutes ago, tin said:

From what I've heard Eliasson is happy to stay, but he switched agent last year and he's the one trying to engineer a move away. I'm a big Eliasson fan but he's not a central midfielder and shouldn't be shoe-horned into the midfield three when we have so many central midfielders on the books. He doesn't fit the system and will play for far bigger clubs than us on the continent, I'm sure. It makes sense to cash in now. 

I also think we will regret moving Szmodics on, not fussed on the others and I can't see clubs queing up to take Palmer. 

Never saw anything to suggest Szmodics would make a Championship player, however Eliasson's assist level was important for the club and Holden wants to keep options open over playing out-and-out wingers.  Agree, it's agent-led shenanigans. It usually is.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Never saw anything to suggest Szmodics would make a Championship player, however Eliasson's assist level was important for the club and Holden wants to keep options open over playing out-and-out wingers.  Agree, it's agent-led shenanigans. It usually is.

Me neither, but I don't think he's been given a chance. It was a big ask to come up from League Two to the Championship and a loan to League One was the right move last year. Like Walsh, I think Szmodics is ready for a chance at this level and could see him replacing Weimann. We will never know. 

8 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

The five players I see as not fitting into the squad are Eliasson, O’Dowda, Szmodics, Palmer and Adelakun.

However Holden seemed to imply Palmer may have a future and Eliasson will too if he signs a contract so I wonder if a couple of others will move.

Willians, Brunt, Walsh and Morrell seem to be the players absolutely nailed on to stay and Paterson seems very much in the managers’ plans. Of the senior non-fringe players, that leaves Nagy and Massengo. I’d be surprised and disappointed if either or both went but neither were getting in the team at the end of last season and I can see it if Palmer and/or Eliasson stay.

Agreed

25 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I understand the reasoning but I'll still be very disappointed if/when Palmer and especially Eliasson go. 

Age old football problem, keeping hold of a player who wants to move on these days is nigh on impossible, especially if there is an agent involved. If we kept Elliasson then I suspect there would be a non-promotion get out / agreed fee buy-out clause, so a delay of the inevitable.

The mutterings about Elliasson being linked with elsewhere have been going on for a while, although how much of that sanctioned or otherwise agent talk is another issue.

As for Palmer, my thought is that Szmodics will be a better player in the long-term, and perhaps the greater missed opportunity.

Interesting that DH said KP text him asking for a chat today. Wonder if that was a talk about his opportunities (or lack thereof) and a move away if he won’t get any game time....

similar to what I saw with Danny rose and mourinho on the spurs documentary on amazon

11 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Interesting that DH said KP text him asking for a chat today. Wonder if that was a talk about his opportunities (or lack thereof) and a move away if he won’t get any game time....

similar to what I saw with Danny rose and mourinho on the spurs documentary on amazon

Wouldn't surprise me if he's next out of the door on loan.

Hope he stays though, clever and skillful player - and Paterson can't play every game.

5 hours ago, Badger08 said:

Have city ever had so much talent in one squad? Anyway, here is what I would do:

Adam Nagy - Keep 

Han Noah Massengo - Keep 

Joe Morrell - Keep (new contract)

Joe Williams - Keep

Liam Walsh - Keep (new contract)

Jamie Paterson - Keep (new contract)

kasey Palmer - Reluctantly sell

Sammie  Szmodics - Sell to posh

Chris Brunt - Keep

Niclas Eliasson - Offer contract 

Callum O’Dowda - Sell - Although I get a funny feeling he will flourish elsewhere 

Tyreeq Bakinson - Keep 

Hakeeb Adelakun - Sell 

I expect Williams and Brunt will both be relieved to see they are being kept seeing as they only just signed?

21 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Weird that Holden would come out with that tbh.

Archived