IGNORED

What league position would be acceptable this season? (Post-transfers)

Phileas Fogg

What position is acceptable this season?   

272 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A version 2 of @Redtrojan's thread just after Holden's appointment - what league position would be acceptable to you this season? I've attached the results from last time and I'll run exactly the same poll.

I thought it was worth asking the question again now that we've been pretty busy in the transfer market. Personally I think we're probably done with incomings now, unless Diedhiou or someone else from the first team leaves so would be a good time to measure any change in expectations.

What league position would be acceptable to you for 20/21?

image.png

6 minutes ago, Rocky said:

LJ target was top six, don’t know why that would change. 

And to be fair to Dean, on that interview last night he seemed to suggest the target is still top six.

For me, anything less than challenging for playoffs will be disappointing. I don't think we have a right to be and around the top 6, but considering we've challenged those spots for the first half of the last few seasons we are clearly capable of competing at the top end - I would just like to see Dean push on from there and have some consistency.

I don't think he should necessarily go if we don't make top 6, that will depend on performances, but it has to be the target IMO

11 minutes ago, Rocky said:

LJ target was top six, don’t know why that would change. 

The target was top 6 and that failed multiple times. SL & Co have said all sorts of targets but they aren't going to say 'this season is to consolidate a top 10 position to build a platform for auto promotion next season' are they? If City don't make the top 6 I can't see them binning the 3 Musketeers but maybe will continue bringing in Championship / 1st Team ready recruitment and go again. 

As things stand I'm really happy with the recruitment but I have no idea where we will end up and I'm struggling for an 'acceptable position'. Pre-transfer window I was worried about DH's lack of experience (still am) but recruitment looks to have some leaders on and off the pitch which gives me a bit more confidence given the savagery of the Championship. I feel a lot better now than I did a month ago but a month ago I was fuming and very worried.

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

I still would take top 10 if players such as Walsh, Morrell, Moore, Vyner and perhaps Massengo and Semenyo (if they are looking ready) are brought through as first team regulars and a solid spine to bring in some quality additions alongside for the following season, when hopefully the fans are back.

I’m kinda with you there, but it has to be with a shot of top 6.  By that, I don’t mean 14th/15th all season and a late bit form moves us into top half.  Ultimately there are still some big hitters (compared to City) so if any of them get their act together there won’t be much wiggle room.

I want us to be in that mix.

I want top 6.

2 hours ago, marcofisher said:

I still would take top 10 if players such as Walsh, Morrell, Moore, Vyner and perhaps Massengo and Semenyo (if they are looking ready) are brought through as first team regulars and a solid spine to bring in some quality additions alongside for the following season, when hopefully the fans are back.

Thing is the following season they would be sold 

With the recent signings and the choice to hire over someone like Hughton I'd say anywhere under top 10 would have to be a dismissal and replacement, this may sound harsh but with what is essentially 5 major signings, an already fairly strong squad and a lot of resources I fail to see how anything less would be acceptable. 

Probably not popular but I'd be happy with mid table if we play youngsters and we play more attacking football. 

To be honest, if Holden (and his assistants) does a decent job then we can be top 10! But I think it depends on how the coach/assistant coaches get on.

Our squad looks much more balanced this season, I'm excited for it to start!

3 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Exactly the same answer as before. Play-offs. 

You can't sack a manager for failing to reach the play-offs and then accept less from his replacement (regardless of how inexperienced he may be).

Problem becomes you then have to sack the manager each season for not reaching top 6 which just isn't an option to be paying off a number of coaches at once as not all will accept a 12 month rolling deal as Dean has. There needs to be an assessment of performance/results factored in, say we have terrible luck this season and concede several penalties in the 90th minute which on replay can clearly be seen aren't penalties and all refereeing mistakes, that in theory cost 10 points and we finished 5 points outside the play offs. You'd probably then say that Dean deserved another crack despite not finishing in the play offs. Its the same reason Mark Ashton/Jon Lansdown (can't remember if one or both of them said it) responded by not giving a definitive answer as to whether it was top 6 or sacked for Dean when appointed. 

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Problem becomes you then have to sack the manager each season for not reaching top 6 which just isn't an option to be paying off a number of coaches at once as not all will accept a 12 month rolling deal as Dean has. There needs to be an assessment of performance/results factored in, say we have terrible luck this season and concede several penalties in the 90th minute which on replay can clearly be seen aren't penalties and all refereeing mistakes, that in theory cost 10 points and we finished 5 points outside the play offs. You'd probably then say that Dean deserved another crack despite not finishing in the play offs. Its the same reason Mark Ashton/Jon Lansdown (can't remember if one or both of them said it) responded by not giving a definitive answer as to whether it was top 6 or sacked for Dean when appointed. 

Yeah I agree it has to be more nuanced than just a number.

I think a lot will be about momentum. If we start like a train and are top two, before the wheels come off and we finish 10th with the issues and disharmony which accompanies it that's not good enough for me and he should go. I wouldn't be able to see the next year being a success.

If we start slowly but pick up steam, finishing 10th but looking upwards and feeling the squad and his philosophy is starting to click I'd give him another six months/year to see if anything is happening.

Looking at other managers who get promoted an awful lot seem to have an average/consolidation season, and then smash it the second year and go up. I just don't want us to fall into the "almost so one more year" trap again whereas in reality we're just treading water.

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

Yeah I agree it has to be more nuanced than just a number.

I think a lot will be about momentum. If we start like a train and are top two, before the wheels come off and we finish 10th with the issues and disharmony which accompanies it that's not good enough for me and he should go. I wouldn't be able to see the next year being a success.

If we start slowly but pick up steam, finishing 10th but looking upwards and feeling the squad and his philosophy is starting to click I'd give him another six months/year to see if anything is happening.

Looking at other managers who get promoted an awful lot seem to have an average/consolidation season, and then smash it the second year and go up. I just don't want us to fall into the "almost so one more year" trap again whereas in reality we're just treading water.

'Almost so one more year' should be seen as a bad thing for first season imo, yes after 2 or 3 perhaps but if Dean finished 8th and several points off the play offs I'd be astounded at people calling for his head as long as we haven't bombed out the play offs in the last 5 games or so.

What do I want? I want us to win the division.

What do I expect? A rollercoaster of results ending in mid-table.

What would I be "happy with". Well firstly I read that as "what's the lowest we could finish without demanding a change of coach?". Probably about 8th I guess. Would mean a season of flirting with playoffs, likely more wins than losses, positive GD, some decent runs.

10 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

And I'd agree with pretty much all of this. There needs to be more nuance to the judgment than simple position in the table.

I agree with everyone saying it has to be a top six finish. 

LJ was given that target and we let him go because he failed to achieve it. We brought DH in to take the club forward therefore his target remains the same. Top 6 and the higher the better. 

Does that mean he's going to be given the boot of we fail to hit that mark? Almost certainly not however we would still need to show we are competitive and playing good football. He will still get another season unless we are playing awful football or in the bottom half. 

For me it has to be top 10 with a realistic chance of Play Offs right to the end, if not getting into them. I cannot understand people not thinking this is or should be achievable. The squad is stronger from the signings we have made than last season at this point. We have a potential top scorer in the league right from the start in Wells (cannot remember the last time you could say that ). We have got some big money signings in defence. The players we have signed are ready made championship players, totally different from last season. We have brought in experienced players, some who have promotion experience. The players we signed last season have had a season to get use to the championship. Everything to me points to a better chance of top six than anytime in the last 20 years or so. COYR 

Archived