IGNORED

What league position would be acceptable this season? (Post-transfers)

Phileas Fogg

What position is acceptable this season?   

272 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Expect 1st but would begrudgingly take 2nd  and not call for DH to be sacked..... 

jokes aside I think top 10 but pushing for play offs will be the minimum. Appreciate lots of young players but the problem is if you don’t make it and they do well they just go to the prem without you (Bryan, Reid, Webster, Brownhill etc) so to keep the building blocks at some point you have to make it! 

I’m currently in that blind optimism place I have before every season! 

1 hour ago, markcarter said:

A total novice Head Coach and a mediocre squad.  12th was much better than the performances last season.  The bookies only have 6 teams below us in the division, and that only includes Sheffield Wednesday because they start on minus 12.  Avoiding relegation would be an achievement in those circumstances.  Hopefully the recent signings, especially the experienced ones, will help in a relegation fight.

Ah yes, because the bookies are known for always getting things right aren't they! 

If a team of:

Bentley

Moore Mawson Kalas

Hunt Williams Morrell Nagy Dasilva

Martin Wells

Is going to be in a relegation fight, then I'd be intrigued to see what players you think we need to avoid it? 

3 minutes ago, Sturny said:

It's really not much of a shift sorry Phileas 

That's fine if you think that, we can agree to disagree, but I'd question your understanding of surveys and polling. 10/15% shift in expectations from fans (if your guess is right) is fairly significant. That would apply in any sort of survey.

You have to remember here that people were taking the first poll assuming we'd do some sort of transfer business. Our transfer business has impressed people enough for 10/15% of them to adjust their entire expectations for a season.

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's fine if you think that, we can agree to disagree, but I'd question your understanding of surveys and polling. 10/15% shift in expectations from fans (if your guess is right) is fairly significant. That would apply in any sort of survey.

You have to remember here that people were taking the first poll assuming we'd do some sort of transfer business. Our transfer business has impressed people enough for 10/15% of them to adjust their entire expectations for a season.

My math was a rough guess yes but I still wouldn't consider it anything drastic or an important difference. Hence my orginal statement it hasn't changed "much". Like you said earlier the poll could change so this is a bit petty, lets agree to disagree 

Just now, Sturny said:

My math was a rough guess yes but I still wouldn't consider it anything drastic or an important difference. Hense my orginal statement it hasn't changed "much". Like you said earlier the poll could change so this is a bit petty, lets agree to disagree 

Not really petty, I find it quite interesting what people see as 'significant' in polling. This is a tiny poll in the scheme of things and just really a snapshot but I think the results so far are interesting. What would you have seen as a significant shift (assuming 10/15% is correct)?

I'd still seek an improvement on last season. I still don't think we quite have it in us to reach Top 6 though.

The unknown factor is Holden's management chops. He's said the right things and we've made some decent signings, but we cannot yet entirely know DH's man-management skills, his reaction to adversity, his ability to build team spirit and coach-out mistakes. All this and more will become evident as the season gets going.

The board might've done the right thing and discovered a hidden gem of a head coach - or they could have taken the cheap option and we will pay the consequences.

I think we're more likely to be "decent but not contenders" this season, but I could be wrong.

C'mon boys, dazzle me. Prove me wrong. I'd be more than delighted. :city:

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not really petty, I find it quite interesting what people see as 'significant' in polling. This is a tiny poll in the scheme of things and just really a snapshot but I think the results so far are interesting. What would you have seen as a significant shift (assuming 10/15% is correct)?

Sorry mate, but I really don't haha

Espcially not now anymore. I just feel the poll hasn't changed much is all, I'll retract my orginal comment if you want? 

I think it's a tough question and the context of of final position is going to be important too. E.g. I'd rather we play our young players, have a defined exciting style of play and struggle 1st half of season -  rally and squeeze into the top half than we chop and change, grind out results, mostly play the experienced player, end up loaning out prospects and just miss the playoffs. 

Without streaky Johnson 'tombolaing' we have every chance of going up as champions and we should expect nothing less

Holden has got good players into our weakest areas, tons of experience to keep the heads high through tough times.

Morell will be the surprise package and a must play,

Quick football played to feet, flood the midfield and believe in ourselves

COYR

PS all the other teams are poor, there is no other obvious pick to go up

I wonder if the LJ sacking was explicitly and specifically because we didn't make top 6 or a mix of not making top 6 and increasingly terrible football, scattergun selection and tactics and a general sense of rot having set in.

In other words had it been somewhat like 2018/19- but without the significant swings between good and bad-, who is to say he wouldn't still be in charge?

As to the OP, I'm torn between top 6 and top 10- and by top 10 I mean a genuine playoff challenge, a cohesive and enjoyable style of play, younger players rising and establishing themselves. Maybe even a small Cup run- if that version of top 10 happens then I'm not sure it's top 6 or bust.

Preston has better odds than us, that is weird. We have more expensive players and more money. I think these odds are from the manager appointment also. They see us as a mid table team at most.

Based on past years, our players are horrible at home. Now we have no crowd so that has to be an advantage cause if we feel like away, we will get better results ??

4 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Ah yes, because the bookies are known for always getting things right aren't they! 

If a team of:

Bentley

Moore Mawson Kalas

Hunt Williams Morrell Nagy Dasilva

Martin Wells

Is going to be in a relegation fight, then I'd be intrigued to see what players you think we need to avoid it? 

Bookies often can be right but that aside, the team- plus depth to add of:

Sessegnon, Baker, Brunt, Paterson, Weimann.

Forgotten about Walsh and Massengo even! The first of whom should be a strong candidate to start and the second of whom is surely a rising talent and not exactyly miles from the first team.

Then there are filler players or players on the up- but both fit into category of next level down but can do a job- players like Vyner, Rowe.

Then those with the uncertain futures but with varying levels to add- but this bit covers uncertain future- O'Dowda and Eliasson. Diedhiou too.

O'Leary is a lot less experienced but has played a number of Championship games for us- not at Bentley or before him Maenpaa level of course but not a novice either. Not the most experienced.

Top 6 or not, that squad should be a long way from a relegation right!

Am assuming in this that Adelakun will be moved on, while Bakinson and Semenyo ultimately loaned out.

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I wonder if the LJ sacking was explicitly and specifically because we didn't make top 6 or a mix of not making top 6 and increasingly terrible football, scattergun selection and tactics and a general sense of rot having set in.

In other words had it been somewhat like 2018/19- but without the significant swings between good and bad-, who is to say he wouldn't still be in charge?

As to the OP, I'm torn between top 6 and top 10- and by top 10 I mean a genuine playoff challenge, a cohesive and enjoyable style of play, younger players rising and establishing themselves. Maybe even a small Cup run- if that version of top 10 happens then I'm not sure it's top 6 or bust.

Don’t think the FA Cup exit with a money spinning tie versus Liverpool ahead, went down well either.

With recent signings and some of the players we have here why not win the league??
i think we seriously underestimat some of the quality we have here ,it just seemed last season LJ seemed to play people in wrong positions and to much tinkering.

hopefully this will be our year 

no I haven’t been drinking or taking drugs

Perhaps I'm staring into a Thatchers induced coma of optimism, or the standard Bristol City pre-season optimism that dissipates soon after the opening fixture, but I certainly fancy this group of players to be a top 6 team this season. Strength in all positions, proven goals up front, a midfield of great potential, and on paper a very strong defence. 

Looking at the former Premier League teams: Norwich - should be strong, Watford - who knows potential car crash, Bournemouth - their time has gone with all assets stripped.

Preston, Forest, Cardiff and Swansea should be strongish and I would argue no better than us, Brentford might fall away depending on who else they sell, other than that there is no other team that I feel has the making of us this year.

Not sure about any of the promoted League One teams being close to the top 6 come May or whenever else we finish the 20/21 season.

10 hours ago, bris red said:

Top 6 for me. The owner has clearly stated this is the aim on more than one occasion now and the squad we have on paper is capable of that. Anything less would be a failure IMO.

With our squad there is no reason in my opinion why the top two isn’t realistic

very much depends on how the players gel, injuries and our fair share of lady luck

Little point in splurging out on one-season loans if you’re not serious about promotion. 

Think SL has put money where his mouth is. I’m with him. 

Top two likely out-of-reach but realistic play-off contenders and I think we might just do it - a minority view of 1 but there we go.

Squad should be capable, the unknown is the manager. He’s passed the first test of identifying our weaknesses and addressing them. Can he now deliver the match-play element? Well JL and MA think so.

From utter pessimism to over-the-top optimism all in one week, Oh the joy of being a lifetime City fan. Wouldn’t have it any other way. .

Interesting comparing and contrasting the results. My maths isn't good enough to work out the relative % increases in responses vs amount of responders so just looking at headlines from the poll..

A lot less people accepting bottom half, more people thinking playoff winners is a reasonable expectation, a few people optimistically expecting automatic promotion.

Overall a general increase in expectation as a result of our transfer activity alone. 

Archived