IGNORED

Hector Bellerin buys into FGR

Rocky

Here’s a bizarre question.

As Bellerin is part owner of FGR, if they drew Arsenal in the cup would he be allowed to play or would it be a conflict of interests? Imagine if he gave away a pen/scored an OG....

I’m sure when Scholes took over Oldham he was ok as Salford were non league and he was <10% shareholding but unsure if this falls into the same category

All power to you Hector.   So great to see a young footballer doing something positive and influential.   Makes a change from some of them using their wallets to buy jewellery and fill their drive with Baby Bentleys . One of my favourite Premiership players proving he is not just an excellent footballer, but also smart forward thinker.

It's great to see players investing some of their wealth in lower league football, but surely it's something that should have to be reserved for once their own playing days are over..? 

It's generally a good story, to be encouraged, but it just seems odd that a (current) player of a team is allowed to invest in another club ?‍♂️

21 minutes ago, maxjak said:

All power to you Hector.   So great to see a young footballer doing something positive and influential.   Makes a change from some of them using their wallets to buy jewellery and fill their drive with Baby Bentleys . One of my favourite Premiership players proving he is not just an excellent footballer, but also smart forward thinker.

100%. He will find himself on the right side of history in years to come.

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I mean fair play to him, but didn't fancy helping out Bury when they needed it the most?

You mean if he has money to spend why not spend it on a club that he had absolutely no affinity with? Like the other 700 Premier League players? Thats a ridiculous argument. Would you expect to get criticised for giving money to a Cancer Charity when you could have given to a Dementia Charity?

Bellerin, at 25, has taken the decision that instead of another fancy car or fancy watch, he will get involved (give money) to a football team who share his ideology so that they can continue to grow. Just like he is funding tens of thousands of trees. 

Footballers can make a difference, only very few do publicly, and in this case, you ask why he didn't bail out a bankrupt business of which he would have cared not one jot. That's a strange take.

4 minutes ago, redsontour said:

You mean if he has money to spend why not spend it on a club that he had absolutely no affinity with? Like the other 700 Premier League players? Thats a ridiculous argument. Would you expect to get criticised for giving money to a Cancer Charity when you could have given to a Dementia Charity?

Bellerin, at 25, has taken the decision that instead of another fancy car or fancy watch, he will get involved (give money) to a football team who share his ideology so that they can continue to grow. Just like he is funding tens of thousands of trees. 

Footballers can make a difference, only very few do publicly, and in this case, you ask why he didn't bail out a bankrupt business of which he would have cared not one jot. That's a strange take.

Would be nice to see Premier league footballers at least give something back to the fans of this Country and help out a struggling club like Bury were. I guess because they are Northern, working class and not environmentally friendly then they don't fit the bill. 

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Here’s a bizarre question.

As Bellerin is part owner of FGR, if they drew Arsenal in the cup would he be allowed to play or would it be a conflict of interests? Imagine if he gave away a pen/scored an OG....

I’m sure when Scholes took over Oldham he was ok as Salford were non league and he was <10% shareholding but unsure if this falls into the same category

Yes it is a conflict of interest. But bizarrely the rule is that there is a thresh hold where the conflict of interest comes in.

"Bellerin's shareholding is not above a threshold where it would be deemed a conflict of interest."

I can't find the exact number but pick a random figure and say 0.99% is not, but 1% is, which is really stupid IMO

8 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Yes it is a conflict of interest. But bizarrely the rule is that there is a thresh hold where the conflict of interest comes in.

"Bellerin's shareholding is not above a threshold where it would be deemed a conflict of interest."

I can't find the exact number but pick a random figure and say 0.99% is not, but 1% is, which is really stupid IMO

I suppose there has to be a threshold somewhere. The question I think would have to be whether said shareholding constituted a position of sufficient influence.

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Would be nice to see Premier league footballers at least give something back to the fans of this Country and help out a struggling club like Bury were. I guess because they are Northern, working class and not environmentally friendly then they don't fit the bill. 

Yep, maybe some off them could have chosen a Northern, working class, environmentally unfriendly football club like Salford City to share their wealth with? Oh...wait... 

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Maybe the clubs which pay them so much should do that instead.

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

But why should an individual who is wealthy from playing the game have to put money into a club that couldn't manage their own finances in the first place?

Otherwise every few months there would be clubs looking for handouts from the premier league, players or any one with some dosh because they've over spent the funds they have and not being run properly.

Just now, cider11 said:

But why should an individual who is wealthy from playing the game have to put money into a club that couldn't manage their own finances in the first place?

Otherwise every few months there would be clubs looking for handouts from the premier league, players or any one with some dosh because they've over spent the funds they have and not being run properly.

I'm not saying he has to do it, just saying why could he not save a community club like Bury but would happily put a stake in a fairly wealthy club like FGR ? His money and he can do what he wants I am not disputing that, just would have liked to have seen a footballer actually help a club which has been a mainstay in English football history that was dieing.

10 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I'm not saying he has to do it, just saying why could he not save a community club like Bury but would happily put a stake in a fairly wealthy club like FGR ? His money and he can do what he wants I am not disputing that, just would have liked to have seen a footballer actually help a club which has been a mainstay in English football history that was dieing.

Because he's not investing to save a football club but buying in to an environmental project he believes in. 

Who knows perhaps some footballer carnivore will invest in Wigan which is famous for its pies.

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

When a child goes to a zoo and sponsors a dolphin, would you bemoan them for not sponsoring every other dolphin in the sea?

Your points about football and Bury in general have barely anything to do with Hector Bellerin investing in Forest Green because he believes in their ethos and wants himself to be part of that project. Money not trickling down the pyramid is a completely different issue altogether.

6 hours ago, maxjak said:

Thought he has come across a bit of knob sometimes in the past, but he's a young guy and definitely agree its nice to see him making this move. 

Archived