IGNORED

Do You Remember The First Time?

Silvio Dante

Reading earlier on wondering where some top notch posters have been for a while got me thinking. We all have an odd relationship with this place and all of us will have had times when we don’t post and others where we’re prolific. I have periods where I don’t post on here (don’t imagine I’m missed!) but also didn’t post for ages having originally signed up. 

So, in the reverse of where is a poster now, do you remember how you started - why and what you posted on originally here - and more to the point, do you regret it...

Back on the classic forum, so must have been getting on for 20 years ago.  It was City related and I was an internet noob, so everything I did was a curiosity...It was the official forum back then, so was the natural place to start.  Do I regret it?  Not a bit.  Been some interesting characters on here over the years....I've always been a bit part poster, more of a reader than a writer, so I expect I've gone under most people's radar.  

16 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Reading earlier on wondering where some top notch posters have been for a while got me thinking. We all have an odd relationship with this place and all of us will have had times when we don’t post and others where we’re prolific. I have periods where I don’t post on here (don’t imagine I’m missed!) but also didn’t post for ages having originally signed up. 

So, in the reverse of where is a poster now, do you remember how you started - why and what you posted on originally here - and more to the point, do you regret it...

I’ve only been on here just over 5 years (July 2015), think my first post was about the stadium development.  Been reading for a little while beforehand, but took the plunge then.  Initially I thought you had to pay to post, so didn’t join.

It was a former poster richieb who told me about otib - must have been 20 odd years ago in the old SC bar under the Dolman. Back then the skin was very different and has gone thru a number of transformations  over the years since.

I do believe that TomF has been involved the entire time. 

Do I regret joining? Not in the slightest!

Been on the City forum under various user names since around '98ish (I think the current forum has been around since 2003 ?) and like some have taken a sabbatical now and then - usually after the forum has become dominated by negative, aggressive, or over opiniated posters shouting down every post.

Trying not to point out the obvious  ... Our forum joining date is included in our profiles - mine was June 9th 2004. Google tells me it was a Wednesday, 5928 days ago.

I've wasted a ton of time since then and the rest I've spent on here (with respect to Mr Best for misquoting him). I imagine my time on here has outlasted many players careers.

26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I do believe that TomF has been involved the entire time. 

Not quite - I signed up around early 1998 when it was on the old threaded forum (http://web.archive.org/web/20120318005551/http://old.otib.co.uk/dcboard.pl?az=list&forum=DCForumID30&conf=DCConfID2) when I was at Plymouth Uni.  I only became involved in helping out when this board first launched in its current state in Oct 2003 as I'd worked with Invision Board for a while previous. I then started work at Clik in Jan 2004 and GeoffA left the upkeep of it to me. The first time I saw the server was a bit of a shock, a knacked old upright desktop case with the hard drive hanging out the front by its IDE cable.   For years had to fight and make do with any hardware that was redundant to the company. I think it was only in 2006/7 time finally got to buy something proper.  Geoff retired about 3 years ago now so I'm kinda stuck with it now.

I do wonder where the likes of Teepee are, I remember his flash 250/500 post gifs and those chefs trousers for the first R&W night v the Gas.

30 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Been on the City forum under various user names since around '98ish (I think the current forum has been around since 2003 ?) and like some have taken a sabbatical now and then - usually after the forum has become dominated by negative, aggressive, or over opiniated posters shouting down every post.

There's certainly been an Influx of moaning ***ts

4 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I joined the forum back in 1998 / 1999.  

I'd love l'd love to be able to see the forum from back then.  I'm only 37 now, so been on here for a while with different names.  Would love to have my original badger8 username back. 

No idea what my ORIGINAL 1998 username was though.  No way of finding out now I guess. 

I miss AshtonYate and his love for the academy.  I remember being really sad when he died, even though I'd never met him other than on this forum. 

Old forum is in link above. I did keep it running for a while but it was horrendously unsecure by todays standards so it got binned about 6-7 years ago

2 minutes ago, TomF said:

Not quite - I signed up around early 1998 when it was on the old threaded forum (http://web.archive.org/web/20120318005551/http://old.otib.co.uk/dcboard.pl?az=list&forum=DCForumID30&conf=DCConfID2) when I was at Plymouth Uni.  I only became involved in helping out when this board first launched in its current state in Oct 2003 as I'd worked with Invision Board for a while previous. I then started work at Clik in Jan 2004 and GeoffA left the upkeep of it to me. The first time I saw the server was a bit of a shock, a knacked old upright desktop case with the hard drive hanging out the front by its IDE cable.   For years had to fight and make do with any hardware that was redundant to the company. I think it was only in 2006/7 time finally got to buy something proper.  Geoff retired about 3 years ago now so I'm kinda stuck with it now.

I do wonder where the likes of Teepee are, I remember his flash 250/500 post gifs and those chefs trousers for the first R&W night v the Gas.

Lots of old names from way back that I can think of but Edson, Bristolboy, RichieB, SarahB (Brookers stalker), Ashtonyate, come to mind.

4 minutes ago, TomF said:

I must have joined around that time Tom. You’ve been on here all the time I have. 

Quite a trip down nostalgia lane looking at that old board........it’s exactly the one I first used.

2 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I'd love l'd love to be able to see the forum from back then.  I'm only 37 now, so been on here for a while with different names.  Would love to have my original badger8 username back. 

No idea what my ORIGINAL 1998 username was though.  No way of finding out now I guess. 

I miss AshtonYate and his love for the academy.  I remember being really sad when he died, even though I'd never met him other than on this forum. 

That leads to a possible thought 

@TomF - is it worth considering an “In memorium” section on the forum (just in the archive section) - I remember us losing great posters like Martyn Hocking, Bucks Red etc and it might be nice moving forward if there was one place those reds could be gathered each with their own thread, something like a “virtual” memorial garden (like FB memorialises profiles)

Just an idea.

First time - probably an IT class at Gordano School. There were some great early posters - Arn, Bristol Boy to name two - who are missed and more active on Twitter; Nibor, NickJ and PhatWill (who posts under another pseudonym) are equally great objective posters who hung around. I dip in and out more often since working from home. 

I’ve been active for about 20 years, I joined whilst tempting at the Planning Inspectorate in Temple Quay, that much I do remember.

The first OTIB storm I remember getting involved in was the Peacock on the lash in Magaluf thread ?

Any comments @And Its Smith?

Amazing to think that Just 20 years ago my family had no internet connection at home.

Not sure exactly when I found the forum but certainly by 2003 I was loving it, rushing to the college computers at break time to read it.

Addicted reader, not a poster of quantity or probably quality but my post count reflects the length of time I have been posting.

To be honest the popular and prolific characters on here now are not a patch on those of the past.

29 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I’ve been active for about 20 years, I joined whilst tempting at the Planning Inspectorate in Temple Quay, that much I do remember.

The first OTIB storm I remember getting involved in was the Peacock on the lash in Magaluf thread ?

Amazing to think that Just 20 years ago my family had no internet connection at home.

Haha that thread was certainly entertaining!  

Club did a good job in covering up how he actually hurt his shoulder! 

• Admin
45 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Badger8 is still available if you want to change it back @Badger08

51 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I remember going through the old forum userbase years ago and was amazed just how many of the players of that era were regsitered on the forum.  A good 60% of the first team. I think only Tins and Murray ever posted/identified themselves on it thou. 

59 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

That leads to a possible thought 

@TomF - is it worth considering an “In memorium” section on the forum (just in the archive section) - I remember us losing great posters like Martyn Hocking, Bucks Red etc and it might be nice moving forward if there was one place those reds could be gathered each with their own thread, something like a “virtual” memorial garden (like FB memorialises profiles)

Just an idea.

I would be happy to but would want to see if the posters family minded and now sure how we'd go about that. 

Archived