IGNORED

Watkins to Villa

lenred

8 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Bench warmer 

I fancy one of these bench warmer jobs - any ideas how you get one?  I'm crap at football so must be qualified.  Happy to occasionally run down the touchline (I say run but it would be more of a waddle).  Also happy to bait opposition players and supporters, and point accusingly at the lineo and 4th official.

19 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Whether its true or not, I read Exeter get £6 million. 

Personally, I don’t think Villa are the right club for him, Brentford played to his strengths, I can’t see Villa being able too. 

That was my first thought too. But I suppose the counter-argument is that Dean Smith signed him for Brentford originally and worked with him for over a year so knows who he signing and what to expect from him.

It's obviously tricky because a struggling Premier League team can't play the same football as a dominant Championship side and he will have to adjust but presumably Smith is trying to move Villa to become the kind of team who do play to the strengths of players like Watkins so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out. 

PFA Championship Team of the Year had Ayling (sold for peanuts), Eze (who we passed on) and Watkins (who we passed on) in it. 

Ayling is now a PL player, Eze has gone for 14m, and Watkins has gone for 33m.

Just saying like. 

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

PFA Championship Team of the Year had Ayling (sold for peanuts), Eze (who we passed on) and Watkins (who we passed on) in it. 

Just saying like. 

Don't believe everything you read!

178aa6e746c0ec127b256a9d4292a1d6.png

4 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Just saying like. 

My understanding is that we didn't 'pass on' Watkins.  I heard that both us and Brentford had offers accepted for him, but he chose Brentford.

4 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Just saying like. 

Yep. 

We ain’t quite there yet are we? About £60 million of talent we rejected.

Never mind. 

Far prefer watching CoD play at Rotherham. 

10 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

My understanding is that we didn't 'pass on' Watkins.  I heard that both us and Brentford had offers accepted for him, but he chose Brentford.

Yep. What the story was there (I think I read on here) was that they were prepared to accept less money from Brentford in view of the track record of developing players and likely increased sell on upside. Which Exeter have been proven right on.

IIRC LJ said we signed Eliasson instead. And, notwithstanding his contract expiring depressing value, it’s hard to argue that he’s developed more here than OW did at Brentford which explains the fee disparity.

11 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Yep and we spent the money on Eliasson instead, so hardly a ******* disaster!

But let’s try & find any mistake we have ever made over the last few years..

Only £20m for Webster who we paid £3.5m for, eh? Lloyd Kelly, selling Flint at his peak value, etc, etc..

44 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Whether its true or not, I read Exeter get £6 million. 

Personally, I don’t think Villa are the right club for him, Brentford played to his strengths, I can’t see Villa being able too. 

My initial thoughts were that Villa was the wrong club and Spurs were a better fit for his game, but he obviously knows Denis Smith well and he'd spend more time on the bench at White Hart Lane behind Kane. 

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

My initial thoughts were that Villa was the wrong club and Spurs were a better fit for his game, but he obviously knows Denis Smith well and he'd spend more time on the bench at White Hart Lane behind Kane. 

Considering he gave up coaching before OW was born that’s a shock!

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Did you decide to ignore the other posts that show we didn't reject Watkins or Eze?

Money talks.

Tisdale knew who were the better bet on player development. However, if we’d offered a major amount more than Brentford we could have persuaded Exeter and Tisdale would have been overruled. 

Lets hope our ‘currency’ on player development trumps Brentford’s soon.

41 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Yes that’s my recall too. I also remember it being said, possibly by Brentford, that he chose them as he felt they could advance his career better or words to that effect. He possibly was assured for more game time than we wanted to commit to? 

Obviously like many he was only gaining Championship experience ready to step up at the earliest opportunity, can’t knock him for that. At least we identified him, but as for losing out, no he was never ours to lose.

Edit: obviously I was typing this out and several others have said similar before I saw their posts.

35 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Don't believe everything you read!

178aa6e746c0ec127b256a9d4292a1d6.png

Thats No excuse!  They should have locked him up in tha Ashton Gate basement and got a large supply of Jellied Eels and Pie n' Mash, and recruited a Cockney Sparra Coach to give him some rabbit,  innit?.........Just have to think outside the box, dontcha? ??

46 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think this is true but we had opportunity to pick him up and he was recommended to the club long before Brentford came in. @Harry / @redcherryberry will be able to confirm whether this is correct.

One thing lots of people forget too is the appeal of playing for a London club. Bristol is a nice city, but it isn't as glamorous as London for many young players. Brentford will often be able to beat us to players simply due to this.

• Admin
46 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Villa may end up paying 50m for Ollie Watkins and Matty Cash ?

To think Villa spent circa £180m last summer, and look where that got them!

Transfer kitty of £100m this summer, they are going to have bigger problems if they are relying on Championship players to hit the ground running and make a massive impact

1 minute ago, phantom said:

To think Villa spent circa £180m last summer, and look where that got them!

Transfer kitty of £100m this summer, they are going to have bigger problems if they are relying on Championship players to hit the ground running and make a massive impact

Got them another season in the Prem tbf with all the riches that come with it both financial wise and exposure wise. 

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

Just saying like. 

Get your facts right...Eze wanted a club in/near London ,we looked at him as did a number of clubs but we are not close enough to London....We bid for Watkins but HE chose Brentford ...

Archived