IGNORED

Watkins to Villa

lenred

42 minutes ago, Harry said:

Technically I’m saying what he will put out in the media will be in the best interests of protecting the club and it’s reputation. 
So not ‘lying’ as such, just publicity. 

But yes, what he said in that tweet isn’t true - and I know he knows it. 

Personally, I  think this is something you should have kept to yourself, if true, you have put him in an invidious position. He can't defend himself as you have cast doubt on his veracity and he can't back down without admitting that he lied. We, on the other hand have no idea of who your sources are for the contrary position or what their motivation is for casting doubt on his statement.

40 minutes ago, bris red said:

Villa putting a lot of faith in unproven Championships players then i see. £28 million is a lot of money to pay for potential.. 

Watkins I think can do okay there- they play a certain variant of 4-3-3. I think Brentford with some additions and depth could have surprised a few with their side of last season and said additions had they gone up!

Championship players? Worked alright for Burnley and Sheffield United- Brighton too, to an extent.

Aston Villa also got Cash at £14m I think.

27 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Personally, I  think this is something you should have kept to yourself, if true, you have put him in an invidious position. He can't defend himself as you have cast doubt on his veracity and he can't back down without admitting that he lied. We, on the other hand have no idea of who your sources are for the contrary position or what their motivation is for casting doubt on his statement.

I believe Harry scouted for Tinnion, so I suspect BT is his source ?

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Ok, here’s an addendum :

Allegedly 

?

15 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Been supeseded to a point in my, er, 'affections' by Derby now! ?

Well it'd have been interesting to see what would have happened if Aston Villa had dropped straight back, especially in these Covid times and the continuity of losses between the two divisions, the rolling up etc. Might have been problematic.

Yes you're right mostly. I also have a small hope that hubris will take over and the wage bill and amortisation will shoot up, and when they come down big problems! Or big sales needed at least.

I also hope Derby's multi financial loan arrangement will go pop and they will reap the consequences. Aston Villa are the spawniest club though- the spawniest around.

You have a small hope that our wage bill shoots up ? Its roughly £27m at the moment.  Then you want us to come down and sell players ? 

Why ? 

And what does "spawniest club" mean ?  Please explain. 

Reading your posts you seem to want opposing clubs to sell any good players they have and never think about improving their squads or spending any money. 

What is it that annoys you Mr Popodopolous ?  

Parachute Payments ? 

Relegated clubs spending on incoming player transfers ?

So called big clubs ? 

Clubs that play the FFP loophole game ?

I mean, do you think FFP (P&S) is a good thing ?  Fans of Prem clubs hate it. Want it scrapped. Think it only helps Man City and Chelsea. Don't understand it . Personally I think its a good initiative implemented very badly. 

What is your hope for the future regarding P&S, Covid and the relationship between the Premier League and the EFL ?

7 hours ago, AnAstonVillafan said:

You have a small hope that our wage bill shoots up ? Its roughly £27m at the moment.  Then you want us to come down and sell players ? 

Why ? 

And what does "spawniest club" mean ?  Please explain. 

Reading your posts you seem to want opposing clubs to sell any good players they have and never think about improving their squads or spending any money. 

What is it that annoys you Mr Popodopolous ?  

Parachute Payments ? 

Relegated clubs spending on incoming player transfers ?

So called big clubs ? 

Clubs that play the FFP loophole game ?

I mean, do you think FFP (P&S) is a good thing ?  Fans of Prem clubs hate it. Want it scrapped. Think it only helps Man City and Chelsea. Don't understand it . Personally I think its a good initiative implemented very badly. 

What is your hope for the future regarding P&S, Covid and the relationship between the Premier League and the EFL ?

I generally have an issue with clubs who sell fixed assets to dodge P&S.

By spawny I mean lucky. Thought it was commonish slang? :dunno:There is a certain element of luck- close to admin at best then in swoop a pair of billionaires. Then relegation scrap, first game back and they forget to switch the tech on- the latter is a 1/1m event! :D Well maybe I made that ratio of odds up but it's unpredictable! In a word- it's fortunate.

They can spend what they like, as long as they stick within P&S through what I'd consider fair means.

Parachute Payments could do with reform, I see an argument to keep them as clubs need them to stabilise but OTOH the current system drives things up.

Depends in a way- I'd rather they use Parachute Payments to put their house in order and not distort the market.

You'll note I don't get annoyed about Nottingham Forest and Leeds because they didn't sell stadia etc. Although the former may need looking at as to fair value of players between them and Olympiakos- but maybe it cancels out, I don't know? They sell players though to third parties and quite a few!

Sure does.

I generally think if implemented quite well it's not a bad thing- agree good thing, but I think implemented too slowly and with one or two gaping loopholes.

Hope Covid goes away, the sooner the better! As we all do.

P&S 

1. I hope the plan as per the original before it was steadily botched comes to pass. If club has two years of loss (real) and one year of overspend (Projected) as submitted in March, that should lead to sanctions there and then. The rules are excellent and allow for this- House in Order by the time of the Projected Accounts coming around or face automatic punishment. None of this faffing around until June or July- if it puts a side into a relegation scrap or knocks them out the playoffs or out the top 2, it's their own fault for not adhering and preparing correctly! Maybe go straight to stage two ie to determine mitigating and aggravating and the size of punishment in the Hearings. Streamline the whole process.
  2. A true and aligned joining up of the P&S. For example I have read that the Premier League do not have a points mechanism ie sliding scale one in place for it yet. Well my solution there is that if a newly promoted club is determined in breach then the EFL should have the right to take over the process and their standards be applied- if that means soft embargo, full embargo, points deduction so be it! There's some ambiguity at the minute as to whether the PL would enforce EFL wishes in their entirety I think. Is the PL's preferred approach a fine or would they go the EFL style soft embargo while under investigation or soft embargo while showing a Projected Accounts in March? We don't know either way for sure!
  3. End fixed asset sale and leaseback loopholes- maybe the amortisation one too though that can catch up in the end!

Future relationship. Well I'd like to see Parachute Payments reformed as more of a solvency protection than an ability to sell and buy knowing the cushion is there. Maybe release on a sliding scale when and only when clubs make genuine cutbacks, selling- or use some of the Parachute Payments to pay off expensive players- release it in multiple tranches maybe another way and tie it to genuine and rapid downsizing one way or another, make it conditional basically.

Would love the PL to agree to the above.

Whether the PL would agree to parts of this is a whole different issue- also don't see why the PL gets a £35m annual loss limit but Championship £13m per season- plus allowable costs of course. Moving between the two gives Pl sides yet another advantage.

As it happens, I think Aston Villa will steer well clear of P&S issues- won't even be a thing I'd have thought.

Archived