IGNORED

Those were the days

eardun

4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Beat Arsenal away

Drew with Stoke home

Hammered Sunderland home.

Who was the 3rd game?

It’s funny as I don’t remember the Sunderland game but I presume I was there. I remember the Stoke match vividly mainly because of Cheesley’s injury. Just checked - 0-0 at Newcastle. 

1 minute ago, eardun said:

It’s funny as I don’t remember the Sunderland game but I presume I was there. I remember the Stoke match vividly mainly because of Cheesley’s injury. Just checked - 0-0 at Newcastle. 

Exactly the same as me fella. I was only 8 though. 

Bloody Villa! :(

12 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Beat Arsenal away

Drew with Stoke home

Hammered Sunderland home.

Who was the 3rd game?

The only Sunderland home game i can remember was a 4/3 win first game of the season in about 71?

with Ken Whimshurst scoring the winning goal with a supurb chip into the top corner in front of the East End.

At the bottom you can see the Southern league premier, ( now the national league) fourth from top Minehead Town, who are now in division 1 of the Somerset county league, now playing the likes of Nailsea and Tickenham Reserves!. Burton, Yeovil and Wimbledon are further down the table below Minehead. 

I watched a game at Minehead last Friday, it’s incredible to think how their’s and Wimbledon’s history’s  have panned out since 76, polar opposites. 

8 hours ago, eardun said:

Yeah I was 14. Remeber the Arsenal game I was there But no memory at all of the Sunderland game and I would of been there. 

And just before my cider drinking had taken off 

Those early points turned out to be vital at seasons end.

As I remember it Gillies came on as sub for Cheesley in the now infamous Stoke game and then scored a late equaliser when he intercepted a back pass.

Poetic justice in a small way.

Gilles only scored about 30 in his entire City career but there were there some massive ones, the equaliser at Coventry on the last day being the biggest, though the Leeds FA cup winner was also huge.

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Those early points turned out to be vital at seasons end.

As I remember it Gillies came on as sub for Cheesley in the now infamous Stoke game and then scored a late equaliser when he intercepted a back pass.

Poetic justice in a small way.

Gilles only scored about 30 in his entire City career but there were there some massive ones, the equaliser at Coventry on the last day being the biggest, though the Leeds FA cup winner was also huge.

That's a really good point about Gillies goals.  I hadn't really linked the fact that he had  scored both goals in what were probably still the most memorable, to me, away matches since I have followed city.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

From the title  I expected at least a Mary Hopkins   video !

"I thought they'd never end", and we believed that back then. 

Oh for the innocence of youth. 

Archived