IGNORED

Adam El-Abd on his time at City

chucky

It’s interesting that in the interview El-Abd doesn’t go into any details as to why he fell out with Cotts, or mention the fact that in the few matches he played for City he was dire. In every match he made the same mistakes over and over again. I got the impression that he was a player who had lost a bit of pace and timing and was trying to make up for it by fouling the opposition. Unfortunately his fouls were so obvious they could be seen by the supporters in the stands, which made it easy for the referees to spot them. Cotts realised very quickly that he’d made a mistake and acted on it. What we don’t know is whether there was any friendly attempt by Cotts to make El-Abd change his ways before the bust up 

I don't really believe many managers are stupid enough to bomb expensive professional players out completely with no hope of return.  Mostly when they say that they want to see the player get humble, work hard and show some grit.  Some players don't have that in their character, sometimes that gets found out when they move from a comfortable and familiar environment to a different one.  El-Abd was as bad as I've seen in our defence, and would have had a lot to make up for.

I agree with the general theme in this post....he was dire. But ironically bit of a legend with BHA and was really looking forward to seeing him after he signed... what a let down?  tell you a similar one was Sean Dyche.  Very similar player and similar result. Waste space.  Wrong player wrong time 

We were a shambles who were declining sharply for a few years- no surprise looking back that ostensibly successful decent, or relatively successful/decent managers and players record wise just were chewed up here.

So So/Reasonable In- Rubbish Out...

His record at Brighton suggested a good or decent player and absolutely at League One level- Coppell's record suggested an excellent appointment, O'Driscoll's suggested a reasonable one- that's 3 for starters!

How did he ever manage to retain his place at Brighton for so many years?  My heart bleeds for poor El, having to commute 3 days a week to stand in a wall, while picking up a fat pay check, we should all be so lucky? Ha!  Interstingly convenient that he fails to tell us why he fell out with Cotterel?l, (possibly beacause he was found out as a useless lump? ) He would have been better off saying nothing about his time here, as he just comes over as a waste of time.  Sorry to be so harsh, but his attitude  appears to be "It's just not fair, poor olde me"   ??

27 minutes ago, maxjak said:

How did he ever manage to retain his place at Brighton for so many years?  My heart bleeds for poor El, having to commute 3 days a week to stand in a wall, while picking up a fat pay check, we should all be so lucky? Ha!  Interstingly convenient that he fails to tell us why he fell out with Cotterel?l, (possibly beacause he was found out as a useless lump? ) He would have been better off saying nothing about his time here, as he just comes over as a waste of time.  Sorry to be so harsh, but his attitude  appears to be "It's just not fair, poor olde me"   ??

Possibly through merit, impressing a decent number of managers at a decent level- clubs who are a shambles tend to drag those down with them. :)

It was the era when plenty who came into contact with our club turned to shit.

More plausibly, perhaps Brighton got rid at the right time- perhaps he was on the decline and it was him turning to shit.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Cotterill is/was an excellent coach but completely lacking in people skills. He’s fallen out with other players many times simply because he doesn’t know how to handle them.

It is a contradiction. You cannot be an excellent coach and lack people skills. Football coaching is psychological. The greatest coaches will fall out with players, it is inevitable.  

9 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

It is a contradiction. You cannot be an excellent coach and lack people skills. Football coaching is psychological. The greatest coaches will fall out with players, it is inevitable.  

Several Sky pundits who worked under SC said the same thing Cowshed one of them was Chris iwelumo.

Coaching is not necessary psychological. It’s about putting training sessions that keep the player motivated and interested in what the coaches want them to learn. SC was good at that but lacked personal skills when interacting with players.

For example - what coach would tell any player that he wouldn’t play again in the first team even if the coach knew that himself? That simply demotivates them as happed with El-Abd. 

4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

It’s interesting that in the interview El-Abd doesn’t go into any details as to why he fell out with Cotts, or mention the fact that in the few matches he played for City he was dire. In every match he made the same mistakes over and over again. I got the impression that he was a player who had lost a bit of pace and timing and was trying to make up for it by fouling the opposition. Unfortunately his fouls were so obvious they could be seen by the supporters in the stands, which made it easy for the referees to spot them. Cotts realised very quickly that he’d made a mistake and acted on it. What we don’t know is whether there was any friendly attempt by Cotts to make El-Abd change his ways before the bust up 

My only defence of him was that he was picked as the left sided CB in a 2 or LCB in a 3, rather than always being right sided at Brighton.  He seemed to have a real blind spot for diags going over his head, which perhaps he didn’t experience on the right side.  Maybe he had a glass eye?

It's a little harsh by some on here. He played all his career at Brighton and was like a fish out of water here.

Certainly no way near the player he was at Brighton when he came here and we weren't exactly brilliant at the time either.

I don't know what went on between him and the club but he also mentioned he had some personal issues going on so all in all a recipe for disaster.

So, given the little insight we have from this interview I would say it's harsh by some to put him in your worst XI.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Several Sky pundits who worked under SC said the same thing Cowshed one of them was Chris iwelumo.

Coaching is not necessary psychological. It’s about putting training sessions that keep the player motivated and interested in what the coaches want them to learn. SC was good at that but lacked personal skills when interacting with players.

For example - what coach would tell any player that he wouldn’t play again in the first team even if the coach knew that himself? That simply demotivates them as happed with El-Abd. 

Interested is a psychological state. And so is motivated.

The psychological drives the physical.

Sports psychologists place great emphasis on how training has to be Interesting, to be integrated, and intense to become internalised. 

The greatests coaches in the World will still have their failures who don't buy into their pictures of football - Guardiola v Ibrahimovic

6 hours ago, Badger08 said:

I was about to say.  I travel from Bournemouth to Yeovil everyday.  I probably earn a year what he does in 3 weeks.  No sympathy here. 

tbf I'm sure there's an element of choice to that? He was tied into a contract and like he said was going to move his family up but couldn't because he was never going to play again - but if he'd refused to train he wouldn't have got paid. With respect, you also aren't an elite level athlete having to compete after said commute.

It's not all his fault if he turned out not to be good enough. The club signed him and put him on the contract / paid him whatever they did. Perhaps he took a while to settle beacuse of the commute, made one mistake and his career was all but over. I think if this was any other manager (cough LJ) people would be questioning their handling of the situation but SC is untouchable to some.

shit, I think I've ended up agreeing with Robbo ?

Archived