IGNORED

Adam El-Abd on his time at City

chucky

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Sports psychologists place great emphasis on how training has to be Interesting, to be integrated, and intense to become internalised. 

And that was what/is SC was good at.....but when it came to dealing with individuals he has frequently clashed with them.

As I said earlier several former professionals have said exactly the same about SC - excellent coach but piss poor man man management skills,

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Several Sky pundits who worked under SC said the same thing Cowshed one of them was Chris iwelumo.

Coaching is not necessary psychological. It’s about putting training sessions that keep the player motivated and interested in what the coaches want them to learn. SC was good at that but lacked personal skills when interacting with players.

For example - what coach would tell any player that he wouldn’t play again in the first team even if the coach knew that himself? That simply demotivates them as happed with El-Abd. 

How do you know anything about being a football coach? Worked in mental health for years didn’t you?

7 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

How do you know anything about being a football coach? Worked in mental health for years didn’t you?

Many years - 38 in fact and in all that time I learnt how to get the best out of people. According to several former professionals who worked under SC that was an ability that he never had.

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

Many years - 38 in fact and in all that time I learnt how to get the best out of people. According to several former professionals who worked under SC that was an ability that he never had.

So you don’t actually have any knowledge of how to be a football coach then? 

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

And that was what/is SC was good at.....but when it came to dealing with individuals he has frequently clashed with them.

As I said earlier several former professionals have said exactly the same about SC - excellent coach but piss poor man man management skills,

With due respect you said coaching is not necessarily psychological. Coaching is always psychological. Players have to be coaxed into buying into a team vision. A picture that frequently will mean they make self sacrifices to adapt to a team need. This is man management.

Players will clash with those in charge. Players skill sets may not meet the team need. Players selves, their egos and drivers may never meet the keystone behaviours of what the coach wants. In your (and my) field of mental health we would not tell an individual the same things they would hear about themselves as they would in football. Coaching can be harsh, brutally honest, individuals react in differing ways .. The player here failed on the pitch, his skill set did not meet the team need, I see no self reflection of how indifferent his performance was in contrast to a player like Aaron Wilbraham who adapted and succeeded who paints an entirely differing picture.

My point was you stated Mr Cotterill was completely lacking in people skills. That completely is nonsense. Hyperbole. A coach completely lacking people skills is completely lacking coaching ability. You have to know people, how they learn, what motivates, what drives people to coach, these are people skills. 

3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

My point was you stated Mr Cotterill was completely lacking in people skills. That completely is nonsense. Hyperbole. A coach completely lacking people skills is completely lacking coaching ability. You have to know people, how they learn, what motivates, what drives people to coach, these are people skills. 

Firstly Cowshed I’m basing my comments on what I’ve heard former professionals say about SC who had worked under him.

Secondly we’ll have to agree to disagree on Cotterill ability to deal with players on a personal level.

Archived