IGNORED

Who played their career best football at City?

Major Isewater

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think Luton fans would disagree - he played way more games for the Hatters than he did for us and scored way more goals for the Hatters than he did for us ... good player though ... 

It’s certainly a close one! He scored 48 in 120 games for them first time round, came to us and scored 51 in 128 games. He did obviously go back to them again on a few loan moves and then a permanent move where his record was still 1 goal every 2 games. 

I think he only actually played 36 more games for them than us, so maybe not as many as you thought? 

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Think this thread needs a few rules.

We ought to discount anyone who left us and then went on to play at a higher level, or achieved promotion with another side.

My thread I makes da rules.
:mafia:

Going on to play at a higher level or achieving promotion with another side doesn’t mean mean they played their best football there just that they played well enough for us to get the move. 

There’s a whole new thread right there ; players who have left City for a higher level or gained promotion.

17 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

JET, Korey Smith, Nicky Maynard, Aden Flint, Marlon Pack, Danny Haynes, Mark Little, David Noble, Marvin Elliot, Jamie McCombe, Bradley Orr, Jamie McAllister

Bradley Orr won a Championship title and played in the Prem after leaving us

I'd probably agree with the rest

12 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Bradley Orr won a Championship title and played in the Prem after leaving us

I'd probably agree with the rest

That is true but I get the impression he wasn’t as much of an important player at QPR as he was here. I suppose it depends on the parameters for inclusion - he also had a bit of a cult hero thing here which probably skewed my opinion somewhat.

Caulker is the best suggestion on the thread. He looked a nailed on future England international during that loan spell. 

13 hours ago, Yoyo2345 said:

What about Ade Akinbiyi was a great player for us

Spent most of his career after us in higher divisions didn't he? BEcame a bit of a journeyman though, could argue he was never as prolific but went on to bigger clubs

12 hours ago, Bobby Bollax said:

Leroy Lita 

Sam Baldock 

11 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Exactly the two I immediately thought of and surprised it took this long for them to come up - Sam Baldock particularly

Baldock left us in League one and reached the Championship playoffs and then went up automatically. As with AA not sure he was as prolific but defniitely played a higher standard after us

Kevin Amankwaah probably had his best years with us I think?

34 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That is true but I get the impression he wasn’t as much of an important player at QPR as he was here. I suppose it depends on the parameters for inclusion - he also had a bit of a cult hero thing here which probably skewed my opinion somewhat.

Caulker is the best suggestion on the thread. He looked a nailed on future England international during that loan spell. 

Agreed, we absolutely adored him. His departure is made so much worse knowing that we chose Hunt over keeping him. I think his best years certainly span from our playoff final season to his promotion season.

Caulker's a crazy one, again agreed he definitely had his best season with us

9 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Think this thread needs a few rules.

We ought to discount anyone who left us and then went on to play at a higher level, or achieved promotion with another side.

Rules? OTIB is anarchy in the UK. 

As for players, Keith Fear and Glyn Riley were skilful players, when with City, but didn’t do much at other clubs 

Although he went on to play at a higher level than us, a case could be made for Steven Caulker playing his most consistently good football here. 

His 20s seem marred by alcohol and gambling problems and now at what should be the peak of his career he's with a mid-table Turkish side.

On 10/09/2020 at 23:19, Kingswoodactor said:

It’s certainly a close one! He scored 48 in 120 games for them first time round, came to us and scored 51 in 128 games. He did obviously go back to them again on a few loan moves and then a permanent move where his record was still 1 goal every 2 games. 

I think he only actually played 36 more games for them than us, so maybe not as many as you thought? 

Cheers for the reply - I was simply looking at Tony Thorpe’s overall record at both clubs:

- At Luton he scored 68 goals in 164 appearances

- At Bristol City he scored 51 goals in 128 appearances

.... in the context of the thread, and given those stats, I was merely suggesting that Luton fans may think they saw the best of Tony ...

31 minutes ago, Porto Red said:

Tammy

Tammy had arguably aN even better season at Villa in the Championship than us, winning promotion and then gone on to play Premier League, Champions League and represent his country.

Was great for us but I wouldn’t say he meets the criteria of this thread 

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Tammy had arguably aN even better season at Villa in the Championship than us, winning promotion and then gone on to play Premier League, Champions League and represent his country.

Was great for us but I wouldn’t say he meets the criteria of this thread 

But how did he play for Villa? It's already been pointed out in this thread that just going on to play at, and even win honours at, a higher level doesn't necessarily equate to playing the best football of their careers, so I think it's within the criteria of the thread; the only caveat is that I was being slightly disingenuous as clearly he is still nearer the start of his career than the end!

Archived