IGNORED

Lame Lois leaves St Étienne on a free.

Major Isewater

34 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Lois Diony has left St Étienne on a free transfer to re-sign for Angers.

Ten million euros down the drain for St Étienne , if there are supporters here who are less than positive about the player I can’t imagine that they feel worse than the fans of Les Verts !!!

If he's signed for Angers, I look forward to welcoming him back to Ashton Gate for around €5million next summer

23 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Ive no idea what the scouting was up to when he signed.... but somethjng went seriously wrong somewhere!

I love the over the top look back on Diony and how evidently it must mean some serious wrongdoings at the time. We had him for 6 months and he was crap simple as. He'd scored 11 goals and 9 assists the season prior in the top league in France and cost £10 million to St Ettiene. That same season we bought Diedhiou so our scouting department couldn't of been that awful in France. 

6 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I love the over the top look back on Diony and how evidently it must mean some serious wrongdoings at the time. We had him for 6 months and he was crap simple as. He'd scored 11 goals and 9 assists the season prior in the top league in France and cost £10 million to St Ettiene. That same season we bought Diedhiou so our scouting department couldn't of been that awful in France. 

Well its not as if we havent got caught with a list of crap signings over the lj years! 

7 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

How many of us were excited at the prospect of Diony signing for us ?

From what we knew and his videos on YouTube ( yes I know but it’s more than we had in the past ) he looked a very good prospect, strong, direct, goalscorer with lovely hair , what wasn’t to like ?

I think the lad has talent but equally has problems, mostly psychological I believe, and this move could be good for all concerned.

I wish him and Angers luck . 

13 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Shocking scouting. Time and time. Again, we bought donkey diediou for record fee. How poor he turnt out to be

22 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

How many of us were excited at the prospect of Diony signing for us ?

From what we knew and his videos on YouTube ( yes I know but it’s more than we had in the past ) he looked a very good prospect, strong, direct, goalscorer with lovely hair , what wasn’t to like ?

I think the lad has talent but equally has problems, mostly psychological I believe, and this move could be good for all concerned.

I wish him and Angers luck . 

The fact he hadn’t scored a single goal for 6 months & we still went and signed him made me concerned for day one tbh

24 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Who remembers the blonde haired striker we signed several years ago (Smith ?) Had never scored a goal, and frankly didn't come close for us. Wonder if he ever did , eventually?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Smith_(footballer,_born_1980)

This guy - well he did in the end, but in Irish football.

In a way I miss the days of signing these weird and wonderful journeymen on short term contracts. Seemed to happen all the time under Gary Johnson. 

50 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I dread to think how much he got paid for that six months. Half a million? Sad state of affairs

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

This guy - well he did int he end, but in Irish football.

In a way I miss the days of signing these weird and wonderful journeymen on short term contracts. Seemed to happen all the time under Gary Johnson. 

He literally never scored a goal outside of Ireland! And somehow managed to play 18 times for Northern Ireland scoring, predictably, zero goals!

In Lawrie Sanchez' defence this was during the purple patch in his career where he was averaging 1 goal in 2 games.

49 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I remember him coming off the bench on his home debut and looking quite good. Direct, aggressive and fast. Exactly what we needed at the time. Unfortunately that brief spell was the best we got out of him.

Obviously has some issues, perhaps a crisis of confidence. Hope he can turn it round.

Funny you saying that. I can remember him warming up and think he looked pie hot and then he came on!

29 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Who remembers the blonde haired striker we signed several years ago (Smith ?) Had never scored a goal, and frankly didn't come close for us. Wonder if he ever did , eventually?

Still trying to score for us!!

As for Diony, there is a player there somewhere.

I know highlight packages can be deceiving sometimes, but some of them that we saw when he signed - that doesn't just go away overnight!!

There were murmerings about his state of mind/wellbeing not long after coming here (may have actually said as much in an interview thinking about it) and at the time you could have been mistaken for thinking he was homesick, and just didn't settle over here. It would seem though that he hasn't set the world alight since returning, so you'd have to presume that something is really not going right for him.

Good luck to him, hope for his sake he finds his shooting boots and settles at Angers.

57 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I remember a game (against Swansea I think?) where he was in the box unmarked with the goal at his mercy but Enoch Showumni decided to shoot from a tight angle instead of pass to him. I felt rather sorry for him at the time! 

57 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I dread to think how much he got paid for that six months. Half a million? Sad state of affairs

How do you know? Why dramatise figures when none of us know the true facts. Did he cost us something..yes, did it work out.. no. 

I look at it differently, we had an option to buy after the loan. Thank goodness we had that loan arrangement rather than just buying like we did with Fam and Kodjia we avoided a 'sad state of affairs' as you put it.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He won the free kick up at Doncaster that led to Jamie McCombe powering home a header from an LJ free kick in the dying minutes. Massive 3 points and put us in pole position for promotion. 

So for that, I’ll always remember Andy Smith in a positive light (and I can’t remember anything else about him anyway!!)

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I remember him coming off the bench on his home debut and looking quite good. Direct, aggressive and fast. Exactly what we needed at the time. Unfortunately that brief spell was the best we got out of him.

Obviously has some issues, perhaps a crisis of confidence. Hope he can turn it round.

He looked good coming off the bench, problem started once he got into the pitch.

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

How do you know? Why dramatise figures when none of us know the true facts. Did he cost us something..yes, did it work out.. no. 

I look at it differently, we had an option to buy after the loan. Thank goodness we had that loan arrangement rather than just buying like we did with Fam and Kodjia we avoided a 'sad state of affairs' as you put it.

Well he must've been on at least 10 grand a week. Over the course of six months that's quarter of a million. And I expect it was more. That's a lot of money to be paid for doing not a lot. 

Archived