IGNORED

Joe Bryan Interview in The Times

Robin101

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Obviously lots of fans like him but I never got the impression he was ever a 'fans favourite' in the typical sense. It doesn't really matter and is obviously subjective but you'd assume a home-grown academy product who scored the goals he had would be hero worshiped here. I don't think he is really. 

I get what you’re saying, but I feel it probably gives a false impression. Joe is liked by almost all fans and elicits a real sense of pride.

Is he ‘hero worshipped’, no but few are. That’s not a bad thing, only the truly narcissistic would feel it so.

5 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Bristol City fans turning something small into something huge SHOCKER. 

Agreed, I’m more disappointed by the journalism, turning a probable throw away comment onto the lead headline.

Fans say negative things about pretty much every player during there time at a club, particularly when they can hide behind the screens using Twitter. I’ve seen a fair few Leeds fans say how much of a liability Ayling was and he went in to win player of the year 

2 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I get what you’re saying, but I feel it probably gives a false impression. Joe is liked by almost all fans and elicits a real sense of pride.

Is he ‘hero worshipped’, no but few are. That’s not a bad thing, only the truly narcissistic would feel it so.

It's all very subjective but I think you'd expect someone who's achieved what Bryan has and scored THOSE goals (Rovers, Swindon, United) to be better thought of here.

I'd argue that actually lots of fans are fairly ambivalent to him - as shown on this thread. More so than you'd think. I don't really remember seeing many shirts on the back with Bryan on at games. I saw plenty of Flint for example, Tomlin even. 

No real way of proving anything one way or the other but thought it was an interesting point.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Obviously lots of fans like him but I never got the impression he was ever a 'fans favourite' in the typical sense. It doesn't really matter and is obviously subjective but you'd assume a home-grown academy product who scored the goals he had would be hero worshiped here. I don't think he is really. 

I think there was plenty of times where it was clear Joe was slightly disinterested and not giving 100%. Commonly on the colder Tuesday nights or the away games up north it didn’t really look like he fancied it which made him an incredibly frustrating player to watch given the potential he had could’ve taken him to the very top. On his day he was capable of some extraordinary football. It was the questionable aspects of his attitude that stopped him becoming truly loved at Ashton Gate, but I still think most recognise him as the best talent our academy has produced in recent history. 

17 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

I think there was plenty of times where it was clear Joe was slightly disinterested and not giving 100%. Commonly on the colder Tuesday nights or the away games up north it didn’t really look like he fancied it which made him an incredibly frustrating player to watch given the potential he had could’ve taken him to the very top. On his day he was capable of some extraordinary football. It was the questionable aspects of his attitude that stopped him becoming truly loved at Ashton Gate, but I still think most recognise him as the best talent our academy has produced in recent history. 

I don't think its clear at all.  I think body language can be misconstrued.  Don't think he was ever disinterested or not giving 100%

That was levelled at him a fair amount though.  Just think it was a misread of how he is. 

30 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's all very subjective but I think you'd expect someone who's achieved what Bryan has and scored THOSE goals (Rovers, Swindon, United) to be better thought of here.

I'd argue that actually lots of fans are fairly ambivalent to him - as shown on this thread. More so than you'd think. I don't really remember seeing many shirts on the back with Bryan on at games. I saw plenty of Flint for example, Tomlin even. 

No real way of proving anything one way or the other but thought it was an interesting point.

I’d say there's probably some inverted snobbery about it.

3 hours ago, Robin101 said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/fans-said-i-was-only-picked-because-my-dad-saved-the-bosss-dads-life-6k28bjwz5

Club doesn't come across overly well in this. However, perhaps my memory is failing me, but I can't recall Joe Bryan ever coming in for abuse from City fans? He was always an extremely popular local boy done-good during his time here wasn't he? Correct me if I'm wrong!

Nothing in this article reflects badly on the club at all. There is one really tongue in cheek bit where he says:

“I had a few tweets saying: ‘Now I know why you play so many games. Because you’re rubbish. Your dad saved your manager’s dad’s life. You must have gone and said, ‘Play me because my dad saved his life’. I can confirm I did not do that.”

A few tweets. Hardly damning of Bristol City or Joe's views on club. The surgery happened in the 2016-17 season, by which point Joe was obviously really good. 

2 hours ago, BasSavage88 said:

‘Fans said I was only picked because my dad saved the boss’s dad’s life’

**** off ?

ANyone getting upset by an obvious troll attempt like that has lived a very sheltered life!

I think Bryan copped some stick from fans at times, but like Reid its not like he was a stand out player for years and years. He had a couple of good seasons and a couple of really memorable goals. Looked completely out of his depth positionally in the Prem in the few games I watched but I hope he does better this time around.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Bit of a nothing story for me. He said he got a few tweets, that’s pretty much it.

I agree with you though, despite being a Bristolian and scoring some historic goals, he was never quite up there with the top ‘fans favourites’.

I think he could well be a little sensitive, but for what it’s worth, I remember him, pre/early LJ days, definitely getting some stick in the ground and on here. I wouldn’t go as far as to say ‘scapegoat’ - but I remember his mental strength, pace and effort being questioned on here, that’s not to say he should be free from criticism, but I wouldn’t say he was universally adored. 

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I don't think its clear at all.  I think body language can be misconstrued.  Don't think he was ever disinterested or not giving 100%

That was levelled at him a fair amount though.  Just think it was a misread of how he is. 

From the January of his last season with us he definitely downed tools, which taints his reputation for me.

Both him and Reid were reportedly unhappy and clearly both knew they were going in the summer but given we were still in a promotion race it was pretty unforgiveable, in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

From the January of his last season with us he definitely downed tools, which taints his reputation for me.

Both him and Reid were reportedly unhappy and clearly both knew they were going in the summer but given we were still in a promotion race it was pretty unforgiveable, in my opinion.

Disagree.  Probably frustrated at various things during the game being misread as a lack of interest, for me. 

Definitely hard to read body language so don't think anyone can be definite in their opinion on it though.  

3 hours ago, 2015 said:

I just find it odd considering he came and watched us at QPR after signing for Fulham and says that now.

I never knew a City fan who did not like or rate Joe

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

Don’t underestimate the nature/style of reporting. 

A throw away comment around social media trolls and all of a sudden we have a lead.

There's plenty of fickle, rude, and idiotic fans who would say they 'rate' a player but then once they've a few pints in them and said player has made a mistake in a game will happily jump onto twitter or Instagram and send that same bloke a stupid comment. Humans are ***** at the end of the day.

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

There were people on here who, long before the heart operation, were saying Bryan only got given chances because he was an academy product, same stuff got said about Reid.

The fact he was from the academy was being used as something to knock him for.

Who cares. Good luck to the lad with his career, wish him all the best, but the Joe and Bobby love in we continuously see on here and by the club, is cringe 

He’s a decent player, but let’s not make out he is the next Ashley Cole. Two cracking goals in the play off final only paper over the fact he received a fair bit of criticism last season from Fulham fans 

Think there are a few sensitive souls on here too.

I suspect this was more of an sardonic aside that Joe gave - to highlight how daft some fans on social media are - and the reporter reckoned it would be the sort inflammatory tone to go with get readers.  In nearly every interview I've seen he's quite aloof and sarcastic so he's quite easy to misread.

Great player.  Enjoyed his time with us.  Pleased he's showing the world his class.  Good luck to him.

one thing Joe never came across as was arrogant  or considererd himself above anyone intellectually during any of the conversations i had with him.. yes he was well spoken and well educated but that was down to his parents upbringing,nothing he could do about that. we had a few laughs and he even waited for me to go and get  my shirt once so he could sign it at tesco.  the article doesnt sit right with me as he didnt speak like that then unless london life has changed him.

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I’m glad a respected poster like yourself has said this. I personally thought the performances and effort put in by those two post Man City game were a disgrace 

As said above, the love in on here at times is a little bit embarrassing. Almost as embarrassing as when the club did the ‘Premier League is calling’ post....

Archived