IGNORED

Joe Bryan Interview in The Times

Robin101

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Why? He hasn't said anything wrong…

The journalist has twisted his words, that's what they do!

I'd be surprised if he didn't get sign off on the article prior. 

He also didn't praise Bristol City fans, merely complained about the few.

1 minute ago, Shtanley said:

Only in response to people booing and jeering him.

It may of started that way (I didn't personally here the booing and jeering) but the fact most joined in showed he is liked by the fans. Plus it was re-sang after the game as he left the pitch.

I think people are being overly sensitive about this.  He says he had “a few tweets”.  He didn’t write the headline which is just trying to give the story an angle and tempt in readers and perhaps misjudges what was said.  He’s always pretty dry with his humour and I think sometimes that gets misconstrued.

What a bizarre response by some people.  He had some fans telling him he was only in the team as his Dad saved GJ's life.  'Some fans' could be two fans or ten fans.  I doubt it was more than that.  Does he NEED to add a caveat that most fans were supportive of him?  No.  He may even have done so but it wasn't reported.  Why does it matter though?

If you weren't one of the fans saying these things then he isn't referring to you.  All fans have knobheads, including Bristol City.  It is what it is.  No need to get upset.

Also we don't know the context of how it was said - it could well be something the journalist said to Bryan as an icebreaker

"I hear your father is a surgeon and operated on one of your former managers, what was that like for you?"

"Well funny you should say that, I actually got some stick from the fans over that!"

etc etc..

It could be just a tiny part of their chat which became one of the main points of the interview. I doubt Bryan went in there with the intention of exposing that story as a massive grievance - probably expected to talk about his playoff final success with Fulham.

He also mentions his dad giving him negative comments (but I am sure he still loved his Dad and the vast majority of us city fans).

He does need to remember that a good bunch of the negative comments on social media are by pillocks who are only pretending to support our club, but probably are rovers or Cardiff fans in reality. 

Its called trolling and should be ignored...

31 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

So he got tweets saying that, he's now brought it up in an interview.

Why are people upset by this?

Agree totally. We accuse Joe of being over sensitive to some of the comments , and then some of our fans on this forum act in exactly the same way to comments in an article.

For all the big pay packets and odd glory days footballers get its easily forgotten how much sacrifice has to be made in the very early years until getting to a reasonable standard - if you get there at all. 

I used to work with someone who’s lad played in the City under 9’s the amount of travelling and cost he had to provide to support his lad’s potential (with less time for other siblings) was unbelievable so fair play to the lucky ones who do make it eventually. 

Even if it is well paid, it’s a short career with the constant threat of injury which could force you into an ‘ordinary’ job at any time. 

Best of luck to you Joe, enjoy it whilst you can. 

46 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

There's your answer, trolls on social media hiding behind accounts to try and get a rise out of a player for 'bants' not regarding how it makes the player feel.

I know what you are saying and agree but on this occasion, the lad asking didn’t provoke him in any way. The response seemed more like it was aimed at the club/LJ. 

I actually have a huge amount of respect and time for Joe, my boy has been mascot 6-7 times and walked out with Joe on 4 of them, each time making my nippers day special. 

Let's send Joe some nice tweets, then. Tell him great he is, how much we miss him etc, and be very clear that he was only picked because he was the bestist player we had down the left. Then he'll tell the next newspaper that interviews him, and the headline will be: Bristol City fans were weally nice to me (after they had been weally howibble)

2 hours ago, Robin101 said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/fans-said-i-was-only-picked-because-my-dad-saved-the-bosss-dads-life-6k28bjwz5

Club doesn't come across overly well in this. However, perhaps my memory is failing me, but I can't recall Joe Bryan ever coming in for abuse from City fans? He was always an extremely popular local boy done-good during his time here wasn't he? Correct me if I'm wrong!

Reading some of our fans on social media i wouldnt put it past them,

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

So he got tweets saying that, he's now brought it up in an interview.

Why are people upset by this?

It’s such a shame that an almost negligible minority are given oxygen by Joe and exploited further by the Times.

Both of whom I would expect much better from.

The actual truth of the situation is that Joe is a Bristol boy who is adored by city fans.

Thats probably didn’t for as well so it’s far better to drive a different narrative.

5 minutes ago, 2015 said:

What absolute rubbish that is. He was a fan favourite from very early on. Disappointing but oh well, nothing surprises me today

I get the impression that despite Bryan's important goals, fans generally warmed to Bobby Reid much more for some reason pre-Cardiff. I also think our support was more fond of Flint, Smith & Wilbraham than Bryan which is somewhat surprising given that Bryan is an academy product. 

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

I get the impression that despite Bryan's important goals, fans generally warmed to Bobby Reid much more for some reason pre-Cardiff. I also think our support was more fond of Flint, Smith & Wilbraham than Bryan which is somewhat surprising given that Bryan is an academy product. 

I just find it odd considering he came and watched us at QPR after signing for Fulham and says that now.

I never knew a City fan who did not like or rate Joe

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If you turn it into a competition then obviously you create a create a hierarchy.

The truth is Joe Bryan and is adored by many.

Its like asking me to rank Ben and Jerry’s ?

You’re bound to get a winner, buts it’s not like I don’t love them all?

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

I just find it odd considering he came and watched us at QPR after signing for Fulham and says that now.

I never knew a City fan who did not like or rate Joe

Don’t underestimate the nature/style of reporting. 

A throw away comment around social media trolls and all of a sudden we have a lead.

1 minute ago, 054123 said:

If you turn it into a competition then obviously you create a create a hierarchy.

The truth is Joe Bryan and is adored by many.

Its like asking me to rank Ben and Jerry’?

You’re bound to get a winner, buts it’s not like I don’t love them all?

Obviously lots of fans like him but I never got the impression he was ever a 'fans favourite' in the typical sense. It doesn't really matter and is obviously subjective but you'd assume a home-grown academy product who scored the goals he had would be hero worshiped here. I don't think he is really. 

Archived