IGNORED

Captain for the season

redpole

Deano said Monday night when asked about the captaincy that he hadn’t spoken to the players as yet. To me that hinted that there might be a confidential vote on which player each individual would want as captain.. That’s what happened when Bailey Wright was voted in as captain.

Sensible way of choosing the club captain.

It has to be Kalas for me with Taylor Moore as vice-captain purely as he is one of the few players we have pretty much guaranteed of his place in the starting lineup. Other candidates would be Bentley, Moore, Brunt, WIlliams and Diedhiou however none of them are either assured of their place in the starting 11 or have been here that long.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think it makes no difference. We need a number of leaders in the team. Whoever has the armband has no more importance than one of the other leaders. They need to all be communicating.

This seems to be the modern way of thinking but I couldn't disagree more.

A good Captain who leads by example and is respected by his team mates makes a very positive difference.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Deano said Monday night when asked about the captaincy that he hadn’t spoken to the players as yet. To me that hinted that there might be a confidential vote on which player each individual would want as captain.. That’s what happened when Bailey Wright was voted in as captain.

Sensible way of choosing the club captain.

I just assumed it meant - I dont want my players to find out who the captain is through a radio interview rather than hear from me first, but interesting take I hadnt thought of that. 

7 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I just assumed it meant - I dont want my players to find out who the captain is through a radio interview rather than hear from me first, but interesting take I hadnt thought of that. 

I agree.

I would rather the manager knows who wants the job and decides himself rather than a player vote.  What if the players choose someone you ain’t gonna give minutes to....any an easy way to create divides.

Accountability and decision making lies with the Head Coach....imho this is not one to delegate to a vote.

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I agree.

I would rather the manager knows who wants the job and decides himself rather than a player vote.  What if the players choose someone you ain’t gonna give minutes to....any an easy way to create divides.

Accountability and decision making lies with the Head Coach....imho this is not one to delegate to a vote.

That’s exactly how Bailey Wright became captain. The players were asked who they thought should be captain and BW was the guy they respected most.

No point the head coach appointing a captain who is not respected by the other players - that could cause problems within the squad so it makes sense to evaluate who is the most respected player is amongst the squad.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s exactly how Bailey Wright became captain. The players were asked who they thought should be captain and BW was the guy they respected most.

No point the head coach appointing a captain who is not respected by the other players - that could cause problems within the squad so it makes sense to evaluate who is the most respected player is amongst the squad.

Shouldn’t the head-coach understand who his squad respect?

Of course, a captain in today’s game could be a figurehead of the group, rather than a playing captain who leads on the pitch.

If you want a “club captain” as I describe above, I’m happy with a vote.

If you want a captain on the pitch, I would expect the head-coach to pick it.  I see it as abdication of his role to allow it to be a player vote.  Maybe I’m old school? ?

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Robbored why the quizzical emoji?

Was a vote for Bailey Wright a good one, when he wasn’t first choice?

Wright was the most respected in the squad and it made perfect sense to appoint him as captain. The fact that he later lost place thru a drop in form wasn’t foreseeable at the time. Other players reacted positively to him both on and off the pitch - that would not necessarily happened if the head coach appointed the captain who didn’t have the same respect.

If BW wasn’t first choice then who was? 

If I was choosing a captain it would be Taylor Moore.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If you want a captain on the pitch, I would expect the head-coach to pick it.  I see it as abdication of his role to allow it to be a player vote.  Maybe I’m old school? ?

I don’t know how other clubs select their captain so can’t comment on whether you’re old school or not...........:cool2:

For all I know they choose the most respected and trusted player that can get the best out of the others  not necessarily the most gifted player who might be admired by his team mates but not a particularly good roll model.

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Wright was the most respected in the squad and it made perfect sense to appoint him as captain. The fact that he later lost place thru a drop in form wasn’t foreseeable at the time. Other players reacted positively to him both on and off the pitch - that would not necessarily happened if the head coach appointed the captain who didn’t have the same respect.

In fairness, I was happy with 17/18, because he played almost every game until his commitment and playing through injury cost him his WC place for Australia

I was thinking more 18/19 when he barely played.  He then got labelled club captain, which I don’t have an issue with, but I would’ve preferred a playing captain to be named.

If BW wasn’t first choice then who was?

in 18/19, Pack, Smith possibly.  They had the armband in Wright’s absence.

If I was choosing a captain it would be Taylor Moore.

He’d be my vice, behind Kalas.  He definitely has some leadership qualities.

Archived