IGNORED

Hip Hop

ZiderEyed

@Notbarrymanc @jaydee=inspiration

Off the back of the Dilla thread thought I might start a Hip Hop one for the small cross-section of City fans/HH enthusiasts. Here's 2 tracks I've been spinning a lot, both out the BLAH! camp:

Not the kind of traditional boom bap Dilla is known for, far more gritty and underground, but very much and old school sort of vibe to it. 

Some UK favourites... 

oldie who’s still a goldie

And from the new generation, my cousin went to school with this guy

he’s now done a song with method man and has done his third album ?

51 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

@Notbarrymanc @jaydee=inspiration

Off the back of the Dilla thread thought I might start a Hip Hop one for the small cross-section of City fans/HH enthusiasts. Here's 2 tracks I've been spinning a lot, both out the BLAH! camp:

Not the kind of traditional boom bap Dilla is known for, far more gritty and underground, but very much and old school sort of vibe to it. 

That second one is great ?  Can’t find it on Spotify tho..

Just now, Notbarrymanc said:

Some UK favourites... 

oldie who’s still a goldie

And from the new generation, my cousin went to school with this guy

he’s now done a song with method man and has done his third album ?

Big HF fan, shocked at how far Ocean Wisdom has managed to get. Shame he left HF but always good to see someone with his talent excel. Absolute tune that. Cappo is one I always have my eye on too.

Jehst, Chester P and the rest of the UKHH graduates are very much my babies. I maintain absolutely that those two are the best the UK ever produced! I'll buy a pint for anyone who can name me a better UKHH artist haha

everyone’s favourite postman ?

I saw him last year and he’s still got it. Unfortunately, his output never quite matched the return of the drifter, which is understandable as it’s not far off perfection, but still, I’ve always been a bit disappointed by Jehst. 

for me it’s all about Chester p. And I’ve got a lot of time for the elementz in production. I think that would be my dreamteam 

ps we could do a mini series about what they did next. Mc dynamite is a sommelier at a high end restaurant in shoreditch these days. Chester p stayed true to his roots and is just a drunk ?

1 hour ago, Notbarrymanc said:

I saw him last year and he’s still got it. Unfortunately, his output never quite matched the return of the drifter, which is understandable as it’s not far off perfection, but still, I’ve always been a bit disappointed by Jehst. 

for me it’s all about Chester p. And I’ve got a lot of time for the elementz in production. I think that would be my dreamteam 

ps we could do a mini series about what they did next. Mc dynamite is a sommelier at a high end restaurant in shoreditch these days. Chester p stayed true to his roots and is just a drunk ?

Found Return of the Drifter on white label in Weston last year for 15 quid, needless to say I snapped it up!

Saw him at the Fleece last year on his tour too. I really enjoyed Billy Green fwiw, was an amazing album considering the evolution in content from him. Although you’re right and he never really reached the heights his obvious talent promised.

Wiccaman Theory might be my favourite ever HH track mind - Chester is a genius.

Cue the uneducated post by me here. 

Always wondered where the line was drawn between whether a song is considered hip hop or rnb. 

This is one of my favourite all time songs. I have a great nostalgia hit when I hear this song and plus, it's a really great song. 

Now, some consider this rnb, others put it in a hip hop category. Would this be acceptable in this thread? 

31 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Always wondered where the line was drawn between whether a song is considered hip hop or rnb. 

This is one of my favourite all time songs. I have a great nostalgia hit when I hear this song and plus, it's a really great song. 

Now, some consider this rnb, others put it in a hip hop category. Would this be acceptable in this thread? 

They call it G funk

On 12/09/2020 at 13:44, The Batman said:

@Smokeyis spot on, but it's definitely more widely seen as Hip Hop imo.

Extremely famous track that. The West Coast of the US tended to produce more stuff like this (think gangsta rap), whereas the east coast has a more definitively Jazz influenced sound. It's the almost polar opposite of the 60s/70s of rock.

NY in particular has a distinctly jazzy tone. A Tribe Called Quest epitomise that for me. 

You might like this. Mobb Deep were NY, but fused the gangster stuff with the smoothness of the East Coast HH style. Prodigy, of Mobb Deep, died in 2017.

On 12/09/2020 at 23:02, Just8 said:

Just loving RTJ4 by Run the jewels at the moment. Hauntingly topical and some great collaborations.

The more recent RTJ stuff doesn't grab me like RTJ2 did. The sound just doesn't catch on like that album did.

I'm into some weird shit at times though.

Like Scarlxrd... which maybe just overlaps out of hip hop a bit too much to be relevant here?

On 11/09/2020 at 18:41, Notbarrymanc said:

Fair play to him man, chances of people making proper money out of music even back then and more so now are slim at best. No shame in a 9-5, guys made more of his life than 99% of us. The quality of those tunes back then, both in production and mc'ing were second to none. @Notbarrymanc Yeah mudfam with Chester and Skinny put out some bangers back then. Mark B production was always a sign of quality.

On 11/09/2020 at 22:35, Pickle Rick said:

A couple new age artists I've been listening to.

Pop Smoke unfortunately died at a very young age but was coming up.

Massive on hip hop. And I don't think there's anyone I know who likes all the stuff I like!

Datpiff.com is a main source.

Pop Smoke was defo one of the best mc's to come up in the last 10 years, his cadence, timing, flow were way in front of anyone else. Most of his beats were pretty tight as well, like the above.

Don't really listen to too much of the newer stuff nowadays, like trap etc, prefer the UK grime stuff.

This guy really caught my ear quite a few years back, what happened to him? For me he had the whole package; his own distinctive sound, an amazing flow over his own beats. His first lp was so solid. Wonder if ASAP stole some of his thunder?

Archived