IGNORED

Central midfield

Eddie Notgetinya

3 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

All these players and we start a centre midfield three with a number 10 and a striker ?‍♂️. No wonder they are being walked all over.

Poor management especially with an inexperienced back three containing Vyner AND Moore.

It has to be Williams plus 2 of either Morrel, Walsh or Brunt.

All these players unavailable.  Williams, Walsh injured; Nagy, Morrell presumably not considered because been away on international duty.  I get that if they haven’t trained with the squad much.  Bakinson only midfielder on the bench, which says everything about availability.

4 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

All these players and we start a centre midfield three with a number 10 and a striker ?‍♂️. No wonder they are being walked all over.

Poor management especially with an inexperienced back three containing Vyner AND Moore.

Williams and Walsh are injured (Morrell may be as well - haven’t heard) and Brunt hasn’t had a preseason. Not sure why Nagy isn’t on the bench though. 

Just now, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

All these players unavailable.  Williams, Walsh injured; Nagy, Morrell presumably not considered because been away on international duty.  I get that if they haven’t trained with the squad much.  Bakinson only midfielder on the bench, which says everything about availability.

Would really like to hear the explanation for Morrell not being involved at all.

He last played on Sunday (a whole week before today) just 50 miles from home.

No tiring travelling therefore & it seems incredible to me that he didn’t make the squad.

12 hours ago, JonDolman said:

It's just going on what it looks like Holden wants.

How many midfielders do we need to compete for those 3 places?

He said on the radio he prefers working with a smaller squad.

Who do we sell or loan out?

Let's be honest the injuries we have- FFS already Baker, DaSilva, Williams, Walsh, O'Dowda- we NEED a big squad.

Especially as some don't fit the system, some are out of contract next summer- well okay lots- don't see why Nagy thusfar is or should be up for sale.

@Eddie Notgetinya 

Why not Nagy? Surely as part of a 3 he's more suited than Weimann certainly.

5 hours ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Do you chat shit for a living . If so ,can I come and live in your mansion ?

21 hours ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

So, 3-5-2 is the system. DH has said he wants to trim the squad, and he will need to if the atmosphere in the camp is to be a good one. With wingers seemingly out of the equation there is now a massive number of players fighting for 3 places in central midfield. Some are capable of playing in other positions so it makes sense to retain them, but, there are better players keeping them out of those positions which essentially leaves the following TWELVE players fighting it out:

Morrel - Vulnerable if Walsh signs new deal

Williams - Safe

Brunt - Safe

Walsh - Safe as long as he signs the new contract which DH sounded confident he would and even said he was a big part of our plans.

Nagy - Vulnerable, maybe hasn't settled well and would be a high earner...shame as probably the most accomplished of all our midfield options.

Massengo - Safe (On the basis he started today)

Paterson - Safe

Weimann - Surely won't be considered a midfielder once injuries are recovered, new signings are up to speed and internationals back available.

Palmer - As good as gone if we can find anyone to pay a fee and take his wages...real shame as he is a talent and offers something different to the rest.

O’Dowda - Vulnerable if Eliasson signs his new deal.

Eliasson - Up to him, on his day he is among the best wingers in the league, gut feel is he wants to go.

Bakinson - 50/50 whether to send him out on loan, it would be the easy option but DH seems to really like him.

Tommy Rowe and James Martin also not on your list, some real difficulty decisions for Holden in trimming our midfield numbers. My view is Eliasson, Palmer, Nagy and possibly Morrell may go permanently with Morton also on loan.

29 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Tommy Rowe and James Martin also not on your list, some real difficulty decisions for Holden in trimming our midfield numbers. My view is Eliasson, Palmer, Nagy and possibly Morrell may go permanently with Morton also on loan.

Think Rowe can now be classed as left wing back cover, especially with Dasilva injured.

Strange that Rowe came to us predominantly as a midfielder yet has only started 1 game there, as opposed to 24 as LB or LWB.

22 hours ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

So, 3-5-2 is the system. DH has said he wants to trim the squad, and he will need to if the atmosphere in the camp is to be a good one. With wingers seemingly out of the equation there is now a massive number of players fighting for 3 places in central midfield. Some are capable of playing in other positions so it makes sense to retain them, but, there are better players keeping them out of those positions which essentially leaves the following TWELVE players fighting it out:

Morrel

Williams

Brunt

Walsh

Nagy

Massengo

Paterson

Weimann

Palmer

O’Dowda 

Eliasson

Bakinson

I would say we can't judge or 2nd guess what Holden's plans are until everyone is fit , but my first guess would be;
Brunt could play left CB. Giving that ball playing defender we need.
Sadly because of the complete lack of game time he's had I'd say Palmer will be off, he could have been back up to Pato, but he would have played by now, had he been in DH's thoughts.
Eliasson could go for 3 reasons, last year of contract, we don't play wingers, could get decent money.
COD could be kept as rotation for Pato, has played CMF and can carry the ball well. Could just as easily go due to same reasons as NE.
Supposing  Weimann is standing in for regular MF, we have 6 players rotating 2 positions, maybe 3 if Pato tires/loses form. Still too many. My guess, again due to not playing much is Nagy will go. HNM has had lots of interest through Europe and more recently England, but to get top money he needs to play. 
Personally I'd be happy to try Paterson/Palmer behind Wells, allowing us to play a MF3 of Williams, Walsh & Morrell, not sure that will happen though. I also think we have one too many strikers, for me AW would be the odd man. Wells will be the main man, Fam & Martin to rotate with Semenyo the option. Weimann looks to be Holden's favourite at the moment though.

Like I say, we'll have to wait for everyone to be match fit to give us a clue

14 hours ago, sinenomine said:

I cannot fathom OTIB's desire to write off Nagy as either not good enough or "to sell". 

He had an injury hit first season disrupted by a global pandemic in a new country with a manager who has been lambasted for not utilising his players in a suitable fashion. 

We haven't really seen much of Nagy yet, but there's been enough flashes there to make me think he could be a very good player at this level.

It's been a long time since we've had a player comfortable with the ball, willing to show for the ball but (unlike Pack, who would do those things) also capable of changing the pace of the play. 

I thought he looked good alongside Korey end of last year, and then dropped out of contention. I think that may point to the fact Holden doesn't fancy him. 

1 hour ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Could he make it for a 3pm kickoff straight from his Saturday morning cooking show? Uses a lot of butter too, dunno if the physios will fancy him.

20 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Would really like to hear the explanation for Morrell not being involved at all.

No tiring travelling therefore & it seems incredible to me that he didn’t make the squad.

I get the point that Morrell and Nagy didn't get back into training until Thursday and they've not had the benefit of squad training whilst being away, but they are match fit and career midfielders - to put Weimann in midfield in front of Morrell/Nagy is just poor decision making. 

It leads me to suspect that he may have been over confident and underestimating Coventry with that midfield - or just didn't recognise their threat.

It was a similar game to Exeter with that midfield, only Coventry are much better.

Hopefully we can look forward to a midfield which is set up for the championship from now on and stop fannying about with Weimann in midfield.

21 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Tight calf as per Holden.

Nothing mentioned on Nagy. 

Archived