IGNORED

Opening day memories.

BCFC1512

16 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Good and Bad.

I remember a summer of hope the. Conceding after 10 seconds against Blackpool haha, the David James year then getting dicked 0-3!!

my fav has to be Northampton away Tony Thorpe hatrick!

I remember reading on here that we kicked off a little early against Blackpool, so we were technically 1-0 down before the season started! 
The Thorpe hat trick was a good one, I was out at a family do and got to a radio about 3 30 to find we were already 3 up. 
Was it Notts County we beat 5 - 0 the season we had the much vaunted “Lee Amigos”, I think they all scored, even Lee Miller.

9 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Good and Bad.

I remember a summer of hope the. Conceding after 10 seconds against Blackpool haha, the David James year then getting dicked 0-3!!

my fav has to be Northampton away Tony Thorpe hatrick!

I remember that one well.....I was in the Atyeo that afternoon. I was listening to Radio Bristol as I was driving in, and was hearing about how few goals some sides had conceded the previous season, a gorgeous August day...and then...here we go. One down. Other memorable openers include a trip to Bury (Super Bob getting the winner) and randomly an all action affair (in the Dolman and on the pitch) against Pompey. 

14 minutes ago, grifty said:

5-0 v Notts County - the Lee Amigos!

I remember being 5-0 up at ht against Notts Country and got chatting to Tony Robinson in the old SC bar during the break who was full of enthusiasm at the score and I said that Notts County were poor...

Was that a first game of the season?

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Remember a mate  outside the ground before we played milwall , who’d just been promoted saying . Right lads , I’ve got a feeling we won’t lose at home all season . Millwall played us off the park and won. We got relegated ?

Albert looked a class above anyone else in a red shirt that day first time I had seen him play and what a delight it was.

For some reason the match that stands out for me was away to Grimsby in 97. This is probably because Grimsby is such a grim place. Steve Torpey scored on his debut and was then taken of with (I think) concussion. He looked a good player but never quite managed to score sufficient goals 

44 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Remember a mate  outside the ground before we played milwall , who’d just been promoted saying . Right lads , I’ve got a feeling we won’t lose at home all season . Millwall played us off the park and won. We got relegated ?

We were so poor haha

15 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

For some reason the match that stands out for me was away to Grimsby in 97. This is probably because Grimsby is such a grim place. Steve Torpey scored on his debut and was then taken of with (I think) concussion. He looked a good player but never quite managed to score sufficient goals 

I am sure it came out that he never really recovered from that concussion and still had pain when heading a ball for a long time after.

The 4-2 at home to Blackburn was a brilliant game and Nicky Morgan’s header after Dave Smith belted down the wing is one of my favourite ever goals. 

3-0 at Northampton when Thorpe got the hat-trick was a good one too. 

The 3-0 defeat v Millwall was awful. My optimism after Coppell was appointed evaporated that day with the performance and seeing his body language. 

In that 5-0 Notts County game I’m sure Mickey Bell had a perfectly good goal disallowed so it should have been six. 

The Reading “Lavin” game was memorable cos of the kicking-the-ball-at-the-crowd incident and the feisty atmosphere. 

It was the second rather than first game, but I remember QPR equalising against us at Loftus Road in the 90th minute in the 1998-99 relegation season. That seemed to set the tone for that season. I always thought that had we held out in that game and got the win, our season might have turned out differently. 

32 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Reading away. The Gerald Lavin game. Can’t remember the score but it was a great day out. The concourse was absolutely rammed pre-game. 

Lost 2-1, played an hour with 10 men, Tinnion equalised at our end, they then got a late winner.

Akinbiyi played up front on his own for an hour after Lavin was sent off & was incredible.

As you say, absolutely huge away following.

Archived