IGNORED

Opening day memories.

BCFC1512

2 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Good and Bad.

I remember a summer of hope the. Conceding after 10 seconds against Blackpool haha, the David James year then getting dicked 0-3!!

my fav has to be Northampton away Tony Thorpe hatrick!

Memory fades but wasn't the James 3-0 part of two opening day loses in a row 3-0? 

1 v Reading possibly 

1 v Leeds 

Not a 100% but something like that. 

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

For some reason the match that stands out for me was away to Grimsby in 97. This is probably because Grimsby is such a grim place. Steve Torpey scored on his debut and was then taken of with (I think) concussion. He looked a good player but never quite managed to score sufficient goals 

Yes, a very hot day I remember ,people water skiing off Cleethorpes !

2 minutes ago, BristolCity1992 said:

5-0 Vs Notts County which has been mentioned a few times sticks in the mind.

Was the win where Trundle scored a beauty our first game back or the first at home? 

Is that the Scunthorpe game? He scored 2 quality goals that day. I think it was our first at home, second game of the season. 

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Remember a mate  outside the ground before we played milwall , who’d just been promoted saying . Right lads , I’ve got a feeling we won’t lose at home all season . Millwall played us off the park and won. We got relegated ?

We didn’t get relegated that season..or have we lost 0-3 at home to Millwall on the opening day a few times ?

Lots of fun and high jinx over the last 30 years.

For all of that though, don’t let recency bias allow you to ignore the nature of our 3-1 thumping of Barnsley in 17/18.

It was some of the best football I’d seen in 30 years.

The subsequent 4 month spell was arguably the best football and team I have ever experienced.

43 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Thought it was Ipswich and millwall??

The scores stick in the mind... 

The 1st because of the sheer positivity going into the season. 

The second because as soon as saw the team sheet with no new signings in the 1st 11. Starting the same 11 that were involved in the season before was just a feeling of "this isn't good" 

Sadly for me it’s the 0-3 v millwall. A dear mate of mine was days away from saying goodbye to this world due to cancer. He brought his season ticket with me at early bird prices in February, but never got to use it. I can remember texting him at the start of the game ‘wish you were here’ at 3 down I text ‘glad you’re not!!’ He was gone 5 days later, one hour past his 32nd birthday. 
Sorry, getting all emotional. Opening day for you. 

August 1978 listening to the radio with fans from an assortment of other clubs. "Bristol City 2" I threw my arms in the air; "Wolves 3" At which point all others in the room laughed. The Ref had awarded four pens that day.

Our 2nd season in Div 4 City 4 - Mansifeld 0

Here's one I almost forgot.

7th August 1999 - Reading 2 - Bristol City 1.

Made famous by Gerard Lavin losing his head and belting the ball into the reading fans, breaking a womens wrist in the process.

One of the strangest games I've ever been to.

Spent about an hour waiting on the supporters coaches to be let out of the Majeski by the police as it was kicking off somewhere near the ground.

Archived