IGNORED

Opening day memories.

BCFC1512

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Nice sunnyday it was latern, think your thinking of the blackpool away game?

It was in the era, when they pulled wills down on winterstoke road, give or take a year.

There was definitely an opening day game v Blackpool sometime in the past where there was a biblical thunderstorm just before kick off which put the game in doubt for a bit - we may have even kicked off late. I remember getting absolutely drenched queueing to get in the Atyeo with no coat as it was August!

We have actually played them quite a bit in August down the years, since 1990 we`ve had them at home in 95., 96, 97, 02 & 06 and away in 90, 07 & 08. Since we`ve not played them since 2013 to play the same side eight times in 23 years in what would probably have been either the first or second game of the season is bizarre.

On 12/09/2020 at 09:21, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I remember that game as I worked with the steward in yellow , who to be fair didn't hide away when it all kicked off.

Turncoat mind.

On 12/09/2020 at 09:21, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I remember that game as I worked with the steward in yellow , who to be fair didn't hide away when it all kicked off.

Turncoat mind.

On 12/09/2020 at 11:50, cidercity1987 said:

3-1 against Barnsley the other year. 3 early goals and in cruise control, we looked really good and 3 -1 flattered them. That was during the peak of Johnson Ball.

That season, until Christmas, was epic. Best City season for decades at that point.

Let's forget about the second half of the year though!

Thinking back to a couple I missed- differing emotions after the results!

2003- On holiday to Cornwall, didn't find out until the evening when looked at the Hotel Ceefax- 5-0, what a start!

2010- Didn't have a season ticket that year, and it caught me on the hop- obviously sold out before the game didn't it! Not the worst to miss, as it turned out...though it was a) The competitive debut of (Calamity?) James and Coppell's one and only competitive home game!

One that may not be remembered so much but 2007 vs QPR. Sunny Saturday, atmosphere good- our first game back at that level in 8 long years- or after 8 in the third tier! Murray scored a late goal to make it 2-1 IIRC, an aging Murray but he did it.

Now we were pegged back to 2-2 but we showed we could compete, we could play alright vs a Championship regular. In short, we we were back.

4 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

No millwall fan worth his salt would have been at reading that day.

I recall they were at cardiff, cause a train packed with them, went through bath.

Due to solar eclipse holiday makers (?) booking the trains, we’d decided to get the national express up and arrived at about 9.30.

We had been wandering around for about 10 mins when a group our age ‘had a go’ at us, very unusual for Reading. 

Before things got too heavy, a load of blokes came round the corner and to our surprise it was even more city. 

It was my first away trip to Reading and it was nothing like I expected!

The Edwards bar sticks in the memory.

Is Tony Thorpe hat-trick the fastest hat-trick from the beginning of the season?  Can only have been about 25 minutes.  I was sitting in the main stand with some friends who lived in Northampton, and before the match started I admitted (quietly) to the stranger on the other side of me that I was a City fan.  So am I, he replied (equally quietly).

Also, going back to the murky depths of my childhood, Chris Crowe scored the first goal anywhere in all four divisions one year, when all matches kicked off at 3.00 on Saturday.  I remember the feeling of pride when his photo came up on Grandstand.  Wasn’t as quick as Pato’s goal on Saturday though!

Archived