IGNORED

Bristol City v Coventry City Match Day 1

Good morning folks. It's a beautiful autumnal day and proper football is back (not the cup, that doesn't count, it's always Plymouth/Gillingham, insert cup cliches here... etc...)

But no, this is Dean's first proper bite of the Championship pie as the Gaffer and also likely we will see a new face in the squad...

I listened to Dean's interview the other night and he confirmed that some of the newbies aren't match fit and that will such a compacted season ahead, we will have to accept squad rotation. That being said, I expect a different line up to the one seen last Saturday. 

He also confirmed that Max is the number 2. I know I'm not alone here when I say how much I rate Max for both technical ability and his persistence/determination so I fully expect to see him between the sticks more this season.

Today's opponents are Coventry. Now when I think of Coventry, I think of the 90s highs of sticking panini stickers of Peter Ndlovu, Dion Dublin and Steve Ogrizovic into the PL sticker book. Since that time Coventry fell hard and notwithstanding all the stadium debacle, are creeping back up after winning L1 last season.

According to 11v11, we last played them 5 years ago in a goalless draw. However, it was the result that confirmed us as L1 champions. 

Today they will be without defender Declan Drysdale (he's banned for being a naughty boy) but veteran Kyle McFazdean will be ever present at CB. Also one to watch is striker Tyler Walker, son of England CB Des, whom scored on his debut last week. 

I smell a score draw. We need Big Fam to get the better of McFazdean. 1-1.

COYRS!

Good to have the season back. I remember the period under GJ where we had some great matches vs Coventry. Firstly in the FA cup then after promotion.

I quite like them as a side because of those games.

I think today will be a tricky game, you don’t really want to play a newly promoted side on opening day, although at least they won’t have any travelling away support. Coventry are usually good noisy away fans who travel in numbers.

Expecting a win though. An optimistic 3-1.

Wells x2 and Kalas from a Brunt corner. 

Just now, citywest30 said:

A 3-1 win for me too.

Had a soft spot for Cov since their FA Cup win vs Tottenham when I was younger. Houchen, Ogrizovic and Kilcline. Now there was a hair cut and tache!

Me too, my mate played for them in late 80s.  Was a regular in the pub with Killer after training finished!

1 hour ago, citywest30 said:

A 3-1 win for me too.

Had a soft spot for Cov since their FA Cup win vs Tottenham when I was younger. Houchen, Ogrizovic and Kilcline. Now there was a hair cut and tache!

Played cricket with Oggy, he was quick and nasty, he also played for Shropshire and if it hadn't been for football would have been a pro cricketer.

7 minutes ago, grifty said:

Reading the Coventry forum, they say their play style is possession based building from the back, but their defenders rant great on the ball and if we press up high and put them under pressure, it could fall apart.

If Rose is out (made an hour comeback v Solihull on Tuesday) that’s a big loss for them.

Archived