IGNORED

Bristol City v Coventry City Match Day 1

Just now, Selred said:

For a start Elliasson isn't a wing back. Hunt got 2 assists last week. 

Moving into midfield, Williams and Walsh are injured. Brunt isn't fit. Nagy and Morrell just played 180 minutes of international football and only had 1 day to train with the squad since they returned. 

It's really not baffling. 

Hunt isn't a wing back, he's an ok full back who can do the overlap on occasion.  Rowe isn't a wing back.

Playing with wing backs essentially works if you have players in those roles who can do a two jobs well up and down for 90 minutes because it allows you to overload the middle of the park, it doesn't work well when you don't have exceptional players in those positions.

We don't today, so why are we playing wingbacks?

Just now, Coxy27 said:

In this instance, it's not that baffling really is it.

Wing-backs: Sessegnon joined very recently and is still settling into the tactical shape and getting to know his teammates. Eliasson isn't a wing-back, and also, he's not signed a new deal and is probably quite likely to leave. Personally wouldn't play him wing-back anyway though.

Central Midfield: Walsh and Williams injured, Nagy, O'Dowda and Morrell recently back from internationals and won't have had the same pre-season and training with the tactics as others, Brunt in the same boat as Sessegnon above.

It's blindingly obvious this won't be our starting eleven for the season, but Holden clearly feels his hand has been forced for this game.

Relax and support the team. The starting line-up will improve significantly, this is just one game.

I'm questioning choosing to play with wingbacks not suggesting that Eliasson is one.

We've chosen a formation that puts two average players under lots of pressure and leaves out our most creative player - Eliasson - because there's no role for him.

We've also left out Palmer and instead put a forward in midfield. 

It's quite odd and I think it will lead to an inability to create.

I hope I'm wrong.

9 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Each time we signed a new player over the last few weeks, DH gushed at how great they were and how they would add to the quality of the team and then he doesn't start any of them for our first game! 

I'll wait and see what happens come 4.45 but FFS he is trying our patience already!

For the 838million time, and DH said himself, most of the new guys aren’t first team ready and Nagy, Morrell Are also not quite ready. 

AGAHAHHA omfg

Archived