IGNORED

Jon Lansdown

E.G.Red

23 minutes ago, Packman said:

Sounds like he put a lot of work into the new kits and the Ashton Gate 8 artwork etc so fair play to him for that. He's done a great job imo.

Does it really need the chairman to be so hands on with kit design?? Its almost like he was given a packet of crayons and told to come up with a kit while daddy and mark go about being the football people

• Admin
48 minutes ago, Packman said:

Sounds like he put a lot of work into the new kits and the Ashton Gate 8 artwork etc so fair play to him for that. He's done a great job imo.

Indeed, but isn't it a bit odd that a Chairman is getting involved in kit designs and artwork?

Especially when he had no knowledge of some of the questions he was asked.

2 minutes ago, Packman said:

You can't say he's not learning from his mistakes though, and he's clearly listening to the fans, great leadership.

Or, it could be a case that 'you've dropped a massive turd with the last two kits, find a supplier who can do the job to a high standard without us farting about with shirts people don't like, just look at the colours the fans want and leave it to someone else'.

On 12/09/2020 at 16:48, joe jordans teeth said:

Exactly he’s there not because of his ability but because who his father is,that is shocking in any business and football is a business 

Father's have passed their businesses down to their sons for thousands of years - what's wrong with that? What should SL do with BCFC? Give it to the Cats Home?

6 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

If Jon was any sort of chip of the old block he would be in Financial Services making the next Billion.

He’s probably thought “sod that for a game of soldiers” and who can blame him. He’s chairman of the club he’s supported all his life. Like him or not, he’s there to stay and that’s not entirely a bad thing. 

7 minutes ago, ontariored said:

Think it proves we are a bit top heavy in management i.e. Jon Lansdown and Mark Ashton while laying off the other staff. Oh well Lansdown senior has to find junior a job I suppose......

2 senior managers in an organisation the size of city isnt top heavy mate. I bet you John just orders the loo roll and leaves the rest to MA

On 12/09/2020 at 16:11, Nibor said:

Football chairman is nothing like a chairman in a regular business.  They are typically much more involved and he's the owner's son, if he doesn't know exactly what the picture is with the finances why is he there at all?

If you had invested over £100million of your cash into a business, would it not seem reasonable to put a family member into that business to safeguard that investment and to make sure that unconnected people are not being stupid or taking advantage?  If that person is also learning about the concept of running the business that he will one day inherit, does that not seem like a reasonable proposition?

10 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

If you had invested over £100million of your cash into a business, would it not seem reasonable to put a family member into that business to safeguard that investment and to make sure that unconnected people are not being stupid or taking advantage?  If that person is also learning about the concept of running the business that he will one day inherit, does that not seem like a reasonable proposition?

If I had invested more than £100m in a business I'd want to have someone with the right skills and experiences representing my interests. 

JL does not seem to be comfortable doing the chairman's job, he seems more comfortable getting involved with kit designs and so on.

Given the question "Any news on contracts for Fam and Nic?"

The answer should have been something like "Both players we'd like to stay on, we're actively discussing them and hope to resolve in the next few weeks but as I'm sure you understand the details are confidential" not "Dunno I'm the wrong person to ask guv".

There's nothing wrong with him learning how to run the business, but you don't teach by dumping someone into the top of a hierarchy.  I think he's really just there as SL's mouthpiece and it does him and the club a disservice.

29 minutes ago, Nibor said:

If I had invested more than £100m in a business I'd want to have someone with the right skills and experiences representing my interests. 

Or someone with a vested interest in making the business sound because he will inherit it one day.  He has a great incentive to look after his own interests!

JL does not seem to be comfortable doing the chairman's job, he seems more comfortable getting involved with kit designs and so on.

"Seem" is a word that is carefully judged to disparage SL. I think he is coming along just fine. He is a young man finding his way in a very complex business environment.

Given the question "Any news on contracts for Fam and Nic?"

Unless he had just come out of a meeting with MA he would not have been up to date with latest developments. Whatever he said would have led to criticism from the usual suspects.

The answer should have been something like "Both players we'd like to stay on, we're actively discussing them and hope to resolve in the next few weeks but as I'm sure you understand the details are confidential" not "Dunno I'm the wrong person to ask guv".

Honesty can be disarming!

There's nothing wrong with him learning how to run the business, but you don't teach by dumping someone into the top of a hierarchy.  I think he's really just there as SL's mouthpiece and it does him and the club a disservice.

He has good people around him and the guidance of his father whilst he gains experience.  He will become better with time and whilst that is happening he is gaining skills and experience in a cut throat business, which is infected with hostile supporters.  Listening to the comments from people on here, it is a wonder that anyone wants to work in such an environment.  Maybe supporting him and having a degree of empathy for his situation would be the kind and reasonable way for fans to react.  Kindness and reason are sadly in pretty short supply on this forum. 

1 hour ago, Bat Fastard said:

I agree with this but it's not always the best case for a business, it still needs to run to the best at the end of the day and passing it down family members isn't always assuring that. Of course football is a slightly different situation and I think SL has done the right thing. 

Disclaimer - I am not Jon Lansdown

However, unless anyone on here is on the board, or has worked closely with him, how can you judge him? I have worked with amazing colleagues, but if you put them in front of a camera (or customer) they just don't connect. But their skills are so important behind the scenes. 

I have never met him, but some of the stuff I have read on here is not in the best taste, in my opinion. Apart from the comic sans training wear, which is fair. 

4 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Disclaimer - I am not Jon Lansdown

However, unless anyone on here is on the board, or has worked closely with him, how can you judge him? 

Its allowed to have an opinion. As to your point about not being a good public speaker - a Chairman should have those skills really. To appear so awkward when talking is not exactly inspiring from any Leadership

12 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I agree with this but it's not always the best case for a business, it still needs to run to the best at the end of the day and passing it down family members isn't always assuring that. Of course football is a slightly different situation and I think SL has done the right thing. 

I can fully see the reasons for appointing JL to this position.  At some time in the future (hopefully several decades into the future) SL will no longer be involved and, as fans, we would have the prospect of seeing our club sold - or go on being run by the Lansdown family. The known quantity and continuity of outlook would be an attractive aspect of this change in my humble opinion. I am an old git and will not be around in any case.  Cardiff and Birmingham are but two clubs who have had to undergo difficulty with changes in ownership.  I like the Lansdown family and feel the Jon is "one of us" - a Bristol City fan. I would prefer him to run the club than some outsider with unclear motives.

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Its allowed to have an opinion. As to your point about not being a good public speaker - a Chairman should have those skills really. To appear so awkward when talking is not exactly inspiring from any Leadership

Maybe he would perform better if he thought he was talking to friends and fellow supporters rather than hysterical critics?

8 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Totally agree, I just wondered what the opinion is based on. To argue that based upon him being a little awkward in public speaking equates to working in B&M/not fit for the role he is in is quite a leap tho. Ashton and SL to some extent are pretty polished public speakers, so maybe we do not need another. 

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

Maybe he would perform better if he thought he was talking to friends and fellow supporters rather than hysterical critics?

I wouldnt call Twentyman a hysterical critic. Interviewer who is very direct certainly, but not hysterical. You seem to be suggesting people should be asking him tough questions, which is silly

Just now, TonyTonyTony said:

I wouldnt call Twentyman a hysterical critic. Interviewer who is very direct certainly, but not hysterical. You seem to be suggesting people should be asking him tough questions, which is silly

Not talking about GT but the largely hostile audience.  If he felt confident that he was talking (via interview if you like) to friends as opposed to critics (very often politically tinged critics) then he might be rather more relaxed.  I think he is a fine young man and hope that SL is very proud of him.  

I thought he spoke fantastically well on the OSIB podcast episode and I think he does come over well sometimes. He’s more of a fan than a businessman as I bet he would say himself. But he has to start somewhere and he’s only going to get experience by getting grilled by Twentyman and the like. 

To be fair, I think J.L gets a lot of unjustified stick. He may not be media savvy but I don't think I could handle another Mark Ashton. We don't know what he does on a day to day basis so non stop piss taking about crayons is

a little bit childish. He has made mistakes before but if he learns from them, it's all good. At the end of the day, he's a fan like us.

18 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I can fully see the reasons for appointing JL to this position.  At some time in the future (hopefully several decades into the future) SL will no longer be involved and, as fans, we would have the prospect of seeing our club sold - or go on being run by the Lansdown family. The known quantity and continuity of outlook would be an attractive aspect of this change in my humble opinion. I am an old git and will not be around in any case.  Cardiff and Birmingham are but two clubs who have had to undergo difficulty with changes in ownership.  I like the Lansdown family and feel the Jon is "one of us" - a Bristol City fan. I would prefer him to run the club than some outsider with unclear motives.

Absolutely, the connection to fans is highly important 

Archived