IGNORED

Jon Lansdown

E.G.Red

35 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I can fully see the reasons for appointing JL to this position.  At some time in the future (hopefully several decades into the future) SL will no longer be involved and, as fans, we would have the prospect of seeing our club sold - or go on being run by the Lansdown family. The known quantity and continuity of outlook would be an attractive aspect of this change in my humble opinion. I am an old git and will not be around in any case.  Cardiff and Birmingham are but two clubs who have had to undergo difficulty with changes in ownership.  I like the Lansdown family and feel the Jon is "one of us" - a Bristol City fan. I would prefer him to run the club than some outsider with unclear motives.

For the first time ever I agree with you ?

The role of the chairman should be to pump money in, to hire someone to run the football side of things and to fire them if they don't meet realistic goals.

I don't care that he doesn't know exact contract details, I'd have liked him just to tell Geoff what his role is, which is setting a budget and letting the "football people" get on with spending it while holding them to account for their actions. I don't want to hear from him often, he's not a good speaker, he's just not confident is he? Us commenting on it doesn't help, but you know...

I'll take the ugly anniversary kits and copy paste Brentford logos, if it means he's invested and excited about the club and continues to support it..when..you know..not being too crass.

• Admin
40 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I can fully see the reasons for appointing JL to this position.  At some time in the future (hopefully several decades into the future) SL will no longer be involved and, as fans, we would have the prospect of seeing our club sold - or go on being run by the Lansdown family. The known quantity and continuity of outlook would be an attractive aspect of this change in my humble opinion. I am an old git and will not be around in any case.  Cardiff and Birmingham are but two clubs who have had to undergo difficulty with changes in ownership.  I like the Lansdown family and feel the Jon is "one of us" - a Bristol City fan. I would prefer him to run the club than some outsider with unclear motives.

I do agree, but promoting straight into being Chairman was a big call. 

Gaining footballing experience would have been a priority before "jobs for boys" being implemented

21 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Absolutely, the connection to fans is highly important 

Out of interest how has this been implemented in any way up to now?

Our SC&T are pulling their hair out trying to get our club to get involved with fan engagement

Just now, phantom said:

I do agree, but promoting straight into being Chairman was a big call. 

Gaining footballing experience would have been a priority before "jobs for boys" being implemented

Out of interest how has this been implemented in any way up to now?

Our SC&T are pulling their hair out trying to get our club to get involved with fan engagement

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I thought that Jon worked for/in the club for a while before becoming chairman.  I think this probably has something to do with the fact that his dad cannot be on hand and that there are hundreds of millions of reasons for having a trusted family member with a vested interest involved.  He has probably been gaining experience all his life and will continue doing this until he croaks!

On 15/09/2020 at 12:51, Scrumpylegs said:

Father's have passed their businesses down to their sons for thousands of years - what's wrong with that? What should SL do with BCFC? Give it to the Cats Home?

I'm pretty certain SL will sell out should we ever establish ourselves in the top flight. He, or his family, would finally get his ROI then.

As it seems unlikely we will reach those heights under his watch, we're probably set for another two decades of inertia or worse. 

For the record, I've crossed paths with JL a few times and he's nowhere near as shrewd or sharp as his old man. 

20 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Can you tell me what difference it makes that he finds it hard to speak on camera? 

He does a handful of interviews a season. Ashton does the same. One is super confident, one has a speech disorder. 

I could not care less how good either are at talking on camera. I actually find Lansdown to be a likeable guy. Even if i didn't like him it would not really make any difference. 

So we can only comment on what we see, so the problem isn't that he messes up his words when talking about a kit. It's what people project onto how he deals with people in private. His poor public communication could be seen as evidence for poor private communication. And we don't have anything to counter that. At least 99% of us don't, because obviously that's the only time we see him.

Is he as weak when dealing with Mark Ashton as he is with Geoff Twentyman? Is he able to, in a situation where he's meeting someone for the first time like a manager in an interview situation, able to ask them questions and talk confidently when asked questions? Maybe, we hired Dean Holden, because JL was more comfortable with him, and was scared and stumbling with Hughton? Perhaps a quality manager was put off by a chairman who acts like JL? That's total speculation, unfounded. They're not my views.

But I'm more confident, in someone who's confident, calm and collected in a pressure situation, than someone who isn't. So people who want the club to be run well (we all do) have a reason to be nervous about JL because of the way he talks in public. So that's why it matters to some people.

Archived