IGNORED

Tyreeq Bakinson

Red Army 75

It is a difficult one. Part of me thinks sending him to, say, Argyle till January would be a good move for both club & player but I would also like to see him here. He`s only 21(?) so plenty of time for him I guess - get him tied down to a decent long contract though would be prudent.

At the very least we should wait until closer to the end of the window before deciding - imagine if we loan him out and then Williams`s injury turns out to be more long term for instance.

I’m really happy to see he has his own thread. I was impressed yesterday and look forward to seeing more of him in the future. Could be a loan will be good for him until Jan as others have suggested if he can’t get regular games here.

One thing for sure is I want us to be able to hold onto players like this and not have low end Premiership clubs waving their money around. Of course we need money, but we need talent too so we ourselves can progress.

15 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Just on that showing today he jumps ahead of massengo and he may progress quicker by staying here and getting games rather than league 1 . He looks ready for the championship . Massengo may benefit for a year of bossing games in league one . Or Nagy might want to go. He didn’t settle last season 

Massengo played for 60 minutes against a Coventry midfield that were fresh and had Ben Hamer pulling the strings. Bakinson came on against a clearly tiring Coventry with Hamer being subbed off. It would be interesting to see the reaction on here if we had started with Bakinson and brought Massengo on in similar circumstances.

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Massengo played for 60 minutes against a Coventry midfield that were fresh and had Ben Hamer pulling the strings. Bakinson came on against a clearly tiring Coventry with Hamer being subbed off. It would be interesting to see the reaction on here if we had started with Bakinson and brought Massengo on in similar circumstances.

Gustavo Hamer.

I believe Ben Hamer is our prior loanee keeper who is prone to the odd error or fifteen

9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Massengo played for 60 minutes against a Coventry midfield that were fresh and had Gustavo Hamer pulling the strings. Bakinson came on against a clearly tiring Coventry with Hamer being subbed off. It would be interesting to see the reaction on here if we had started with Bakinson and brought Massengo on in similar circumstances.

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

You’re missing the point a bit. His all round game was superb. Forget opposition or time of game. You need to look how he receives the ball for such a young player. It’s obviously natural for him to take ball on the oppositions weaker side . He automatically shields it with his body. No one else in our team does this. Top players do this. He shifts the ball quickly as well and uses it wisely . Not trying to make Hollywood passes , simple but positive passes., effortless as well . The kid is different class. Sign of quality is, even when he has 2 players closing him down he’s still got plenty of time . This lad is genuine quality 

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

You’re missing the point a bit. His all round game was superb. Forget opposition or time of game. You need to look how he receives the ball for such a young player. It’s obviously natural for him to take ball on the oppositions weaker side . He automatically shields it with his body. No one else in our team does this. Top players do this. He shifts the ball quickly as well and uses it wisely . Not trying to make Hollywood passes , simple but positive passes., effortless as well . The kid is different class. Sign of quality is, even when he has 2 players closing him down he’s still got plenty of time . This lad is genuine quality 

You seem to be under the misapprehension that I posted a criticism of Bakinson, my point is that I see the same qualities in Massengo, but young players sometimes need the right conditions to shine consistently. I rate Bakinson very highly too, just pissed off with people writing off a talented 19 year old after a poor 45 minutes. 

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

You seem to be under the misapprehension that I posted a criticism of Bakinson, my point is that I see the same qualities in Massengo, but young players sometimes need the right conditions to shine consistently. I rate Bakinson very highly too, just pissed off with people writing off a talented 19 year old after a poor 45 minutes. 

No, I didn’t take it as Criticism of Bakinson or massengo . There’s definitely a player in han Noah and it maybe knee jerk in my part a bit but I just think tyreeeq is ahead of him in development at this stage. Two completely different players and players develope at different rates . I just think massengo would benefit with a full season somewhere whereas Bakinson looks ready in his all round game to be part of the squad.   

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

No, I didn’t take it as Criticism of Bakinson or massengo . There’s definitely a player in han Noah and it maybe knee jerk in my part a bit but I just think tyreeeq is ahead of him in development at this stage. Two completely different players and players develope at different rates . I just think massengo would benefit with a full season somewhere whereas Bakinson looks ready in his all round game to be part of the squad.   

Fair enough. Bakinson is 22 next month so it would be surprising if he wasn’t further ahead of Massengo. I don’t think Massengo should go out on loan purely because I think we are trying to groom him for that DM position and in the lower leagues they tend to look for the allrounder in midfield.
I think he will benefit more from being around the squad and being coached by our team who are experienced in youth coaching. 

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Fair enough. Bakinson is 22 next month so it would be surprising if he wasn’t further ahead of Massengo. I don’t think Massengo should go out on loan purely because I think we are trying to groom him for that DM position and in the lower leagues they tend to look for the allrounder in midfield.
I think he will benefit more from being around the squad and being coached by our team who are experienced in youth coaching. 

Age doesn’t define progression 

It's really heartening that we're giving glowing reviews about Bakinson (last week or was Massengo lest we forget). He's come from nowhere in pre-season and impressed first the coaches, then the fans. Well done fella!

A Bakinson and Massengo combo would be really interesting alongside Paterson.

With Morrell, Walsh and Williams, I guess it will be the preserve of the league cup!

24 minutes ago, mozo said:

It's really heartening that we're giving glowing reviews about Bakinson (last week or was Massengo lest we forget). He's come from nowhere in pre-season and impressed first the coaches, then the fans. Well done fella!

With Morrell, Walsh and Williams, I guess it will be the preserve of the league cup!

When bakinson came on against coventry, i was doing my nut when it was maggengo going off,,, they were still cutting through our midfield at that point.

we have played exeter and a newly promoted coventry team, and Northampton are up next,,, if we go to stoke with a midfield 3 of weimann paterson plus one its asking for trouble.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Not forgetting Paterson forgot he was a supporting midfielder after his goal, totally forgot to support Massengo!

I'd have considered Martin for Diedhiou and Bakinson for Wells or Weimann.

That'd hardly have been a complete change of system @JonDolman more like a necessary tweak to combat some significant trouble in midfield. 

Plenty of managers make such tweaks, notably Bielsa with Leeds last season at HT when they were beating Fulham 1-0 (I think) but had a lot of problems at the back and in midfield.

Think they took a striker or attacking midfielder off and we're much better, greater control and security.

Change to a back 4, one up front or match up entirely that'd be a drastic change but that kind of tweak, not so much!

Could I just suggest people don't go overboard and expect him to be class week in, week out?

Freddie Hinds did very well in the first two rounds of the League Cup in that incredible run and there were people lauding him as Premier League potential.

He's 21 and will have good games and bad games. An excellent performance doesn't make him a world beater and a bad performance won't make him a panel beater (no disrespect to panel beaters of course).

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

It did really work though to be fair.

I loved it that Holden didn't completely change system like no doubt LJ would.

Just a slight change in positioning helped. Also Coventry had tired and Bakinson being so good. A mixture of all those things meant we looked the better team 2nd half. 

If Coventry go on to have a decent season then that win will look very good. Would not surprise me if they do pretty well.

For me the midfield was a big problem. But we also really missed Dasilva. And the strike partnership of Wells and Fam has never looked right.

We won yet there's so many things we can improve on. Dasilva when he's back will be massive. We hardly got any attacks going down our left without him.

Williams, Brunt, Morrell, Walsh as options. Midfielders who can tackle. But plenty of ability going forward too.

And up top it might be that Weimann or Martin work a lot better with Wells than Fam does.

And of course Mawson who is a real top centre back to replace one of Moore or Vyner.

Sessegnon too I think hopefully will be an improvement on Hunt. 

So many ways we can improve on that.

The Weimann and Pato midfield experiment was unconvincing in the post lockdown games and has been unconvincing so far this season. I'll be amazed if it eventually convinces!

It's something that is very much a Holden move and one I can't get on board with atm. 3-5-2 is fine, but not like this.

16 hours ago, mozo said:

The Weimann and Pato midfield experiment was unconvincing in the post lockdown games and has been unconvincing so far this season. I'll be amazed if it eventually convinces!

It's something that is very much a Holden move and one I can't get on board with atm. 3-5-2 is fine, but not like this.

I agree, Pato and Andi W will always naturally move forward and/or wide, leaving the remaining midfielder exposed and we then lose that area of the pitch.  I think we need two more defensively minded/disciplined players in the midfield and try to get the creativity from the remaining more attacking midfielder or the wingbacks pushing on.  

Archived