IGNORED

Holden

joe jordans teeth

I haven’t heard it yet BUT I will say LJ did sometimes criticise team performances and promise changes and sure enough they followed BUT not to the players who were actually poor - it was always the likes of Afobe, Palmer and Rowe who were benched and not Wiemann, Diedhiou etc.

Martin offered more then Diedhiou within 2 minutes than Fam did for however long he was on.

Bakinson was so much better than Massengo but anybody will struggle with two attacking midfielders alongside him so the actual issue is not Massengo should not necessarily start but more who plays with him in there.

So if Wiemann and Diedhiou start Wednesday then whatever he says no matter how honest will be irrelevant - action over words !!

I want to see him fix the problems. LJ often analysed the game correctly but kept making the same mistakes.

Why did we come out playing that way after the goal? Why didn't he react when it only a matter of time until they scored?

Those are tclassic LJ moves. Team completely ignoring the training. Manager just watching the game fall away. So let's see Dean not make those same mistakes again. The smartest people learn from other peoples mistakes, the smart learn from their own.

Let's see it. I want to see it.

23 minutes ago, Selred said:

Same as Kalas (see his interview on the City twitter). 

So refreshing to have the honestly!

Worth listening to his BBCRB interview on BBC Sounds app if you get the chance.  Very humble, aware and equally impressive.

1 minute ago, Prinny said:

I want to see him fix the problems. LJ often analysed the game correctly but kept making the same mistakes.

Why did we come out playing that way after the goal? Why didn't he react when it only a matter of time until they scored?

Those are tclassic LJ moves. Team completely ignoring the training. Manager just watching the game fall away. So let's see Dean not make those same mistakes again. The smartest people learn from other peoples mistakes, the smart learn from their own.

Let's see it. I want to see it.

Yep, that is key.  The wrong thing to do would be to let 3 points gloss over what was not very good at all for a large part of the game.

For me watching on Robinstv, it was frustrating because you have to follow the ball.  I want to see the whole pitch to understand why we were getting “done” time and time again.

33 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

How refreshing to hear a manager see the same game as the rest of us rather than just come out with some old bollox 

I tweeted pretty much this earlier,  little similar to Chris Wilder who I enjoy listening to, lets hope he has the same effect on the team as Wilder did.

Interviews mean nothing, what matters is being able to identify strengths and weaknesses in the team, today anyone could see the midfield was overrun and this was down to the midfield selection.

Patterson in midfield can work but we need two other midfielders who can track down players and push the game if he's in there, Weimann is not a midfielder in any way shape or form. I do not understand why we have so many midfielders and essentially play strikers there instead leaving a youngster like Massengo to have to overwork himself and become flustered and overrun because too much is being asked of him.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Worth listening to his BBCRB interview on BBC Sounds app if you get the chance.  Very humble, aware and equally impressive.

Yep, that is key.  The wrong thing to do would be to let 3 points gloss over what was not very good at all for a large part of the game.

For me watching on Robinstv, it was frustrating because you have to follow the ball.  I want to see the whole pitch to understand why we were getting “done” time and time again.

I want to hope a lot of it is personnel.

Mawson Dasilva coming in needs to fix the left side. Moore can then fight with Vyner for that RCB role.

2 of Morrell, Walsh, Nagy, Williams, whoever need to come in to complement Paterson.

And Martin is a better platform than Diedhiou. People should be able to see this immediately.

So that's 5/6 changes before we see the team at its best. and if that's crap, then it's probably the ideas or the people judging the talent which need to be got rid of.

It's so not surprising that a team full of LJ players, played like an LJ team, is it? I want to see the Holden team before I really judge.

Was refreshing he didn't try and bullshit us knew what was wrong and set to put it right giving the players 5 minutes to sort it themselves

Good management to be fair, but its how he sets up the next game, if he sets it the same as today with the same personal I will be worried,

3 minutes ago, Prinny said:

I want to hope a lot of it is personnel.

Mawson Dasilva coming in needs to fix the left side. Moore can then fight with Vyner for that RCB role.

2 of Morrell, Walsh, Nagy, Williams, whoever need to come in to complement Paterson.

And Martin is a better platform than Diedhiou. People should be able to see this immediately.

So that's 5/6 changes before we see the team at its best. and if that's crap, then it's probably the ideas or the people judging the talent which need to be got rid of.

It's so not surprising that a team full of LJ players, played like an LJ team, is it? I want to see the Holden team before I really judge.

I was surprised as many that Weimann played in their today....but I do think it’s the first time him and Pato in the 3 hasn’t worked under Holden.  We do have the personnel to not have to do that again though, so hopefully the analysis will help confirm that.

Pato is such a good player, but I also think the 20 second goal went to his head and he didn’t help shape either until the 39th minute when he realised he might need to come short to actually get on the ball.

Weimann actually did some better work second half (albeit not enough overall) when he played almost like a Left Midfielder but tucked in, rather than ahead of Massengo.

Two games started for Diedhiou and Wells together, Fam looked less sharp this week than last week.  Platform is a good way to describe Martin...he gave us much more today.  I feel between him and Weimann, they will partner Wells better over the course of the season than Diedhiou will.  Then again I think Fam won’t be here by the end of the window anyway.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was surprised as many that Weimann played in their today....but I do think it’s the first time him and Pato in the 3 hasn’t worked under Holden.  We do have the personnel to not have to do that again though, so hopefully the analysis will help confirm that.

Pato is such a good player, but I also think the 20 second goal went to his head and he didn’t help shape either until the 39th minute when he realised he might need to come short to actually get on the ball.

Weimann actually did some better work second half (albeit not enough overall) when he played almost like a Left Midfielder but tucked in, rather than ahead of Massengo.

Two games started for Diedhiou and Wells together, Fam looked less sharp this week than last week.  Platform is a good way to describe Martin...he gave us much more today.  I feel between him and Weimann, they will partner Wells better over the course of the season than Diedhiou will.  Then again I think Fam won’t be here by the end of the window anyway.

Don't think it worked vs Swansea and they were the best team we faced under Holden. But they also had Smith there 4 games IIRC to help organise.

If we do like for like Massengo --> Morrell both continuity players

and                            Weimann --> Williams (Nagy for now) for want of a better term, both runners.

It should automatically be better just by pure upgrading. I don't know how vocal Williams is but Morrell definitely talks (guessing more than Massengo) and organises so that should help too with shape and discipline.

It's all about the next game Holden has rightly pointed out what was wrong but let's see if he makes that positive change,We can't continue to play two attacking players in the middle we need control to hold to pass and tackle at least two generals in the middle with maybe Paterson playing off them,Didn't see us boss the game and seen this far to much over the last few years.. 3 points great and in that respect a massive boost but overall display not so impressive.

53 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Was refreshing he didn't try and bullshit us knew what was wrong and set to put it right giving the players 5 minutes to sort it themselves

Good management to be fair, but its how he sets up the next game, if he sets it the same as today with the same personal I will be worried,

Can only go on today of course  and the cup game will see massive changes obviously but making subs before the 80th minute was a new one on me after the last few years 

1 hour ago, Prinny said:

Don't think it worked vs Swansea and they were the best team we faced under Holden. But they also had Smith there 4 games IIRC to help organise.

perhaps that was the trade off last week and this week with Massengo - play a bit more experience alongside him, e.g. Weimann as he doesn’t organise.  It didn’t work today.  I don’t think Massengo is really a DM either, but that’s another discussion!

If we do like for like Massengo --> Morrell both continuity players

and                            Weimann --> Williams (Nagy for now) for want of a better term, both runners.

It should automatically be better just by pure upgrading. I don't know how vocal Williams is but Morrell definitely talks (guessing more than Massengo) and organises so that should help too with shape and discipline.
For me, we’ve “got by” with Pato and Weimann in midfield.  Pato getting a free ride from OTIB tonight because he scored and assisted but for minutes 2-39 he was also a bit of a passenger too.

Ultimately as a team we weren’t great and it exposed a few individuals.  There’s probably a converse argument that says a few individuals not playing well affected the team.

One for the pros to work out why over the next couple of days.

I will be much happier when I see “proper” midfielders in our midfield, and Weimann fighting for his place up top.  He’s done ok in there, but I saw it is temporary.

Let’s see what Holden plays next Saturday (Northampton will be a mix to get players some minutes).

Good interview from Deano.  Very honest and watched the same game as me.  Thanks for flagging it up.

Slightly concerned he felt Massengo could cope on his own with Weimann and Pato are so forward looking.  

What was good is he saw this (and Fam's poor showing) and brought on the right players to fix it.  Bakinson outstanding and Deano rightly lavished praise on him.  

Agree, Northampton is about minutes and fitness. Pre season game effectively.

Putting people in a position to succeed is the key thing. Is Massengo being put in that position?

Caus I agree I don't want him holding as the one. But I don't want any continuity player doing that. Wales don't make Morrell do that.

If we say our midfield feels like

Massengo

Weimann

Paterson

At the moment

When it should/could be

Continuity Runner

Creative

Massengo Weimann

Paterson

Which we went to more as you say with Weimann stepping into actual midfield, and it was much more effective even if he's not good at it, being in the right place made it better.

And the third CB can step up into midfield if both continuity and runner are attacking.

Dunno, seems pretty basic, we saw the correction so I'm hopeful for the future.

10 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Agree, Northampton is about minutes and fitness. Pre season game effectively.

Putting people in a position to succeed is the key thing. Is Massengo being put in that position?

Caus I agree I don't want him holding as the one. But I don't want any continuity player doing that. Wales don't make Morrell do that.

If we say our midfield feels like

Massengo

Weimann

Paterson

At the moment

When it should/could be

Continuity Runner

Creative

Massengo Weimann

Paterson

Which we went to more as you say with Weimann stepping into actual midfield, and it was much more effective even if he's not good at it, being in the right place made it better.

And the third CB can step up into midfield if both continuity and runner are attacking.

Dunno, seems pretty basic, we saw the correction so I'm hopeful for the future.

I’m a big believer in not getting too far ahead of / past the ball until good possession is secured.  I appreciate sometimes you’ve got to take risks / be proactive, but at 1-0 up inside 25 seconds, for me it was get good shape, don’t give Coventry any encouragement and make them think “boy, this Champ is a step up”.  Instead we allowed them to get into the game and they caused us all manner of problems between the lines.  That’s not saying go defensive, but get into good habits.

I think over the next month we will start to see the midfield form.  It still seems a bit temporary.

Archived