IGNORED

Weimann

Roymand 1

He’s a forward, not a midfielder (and never will be). The sooner Holden wakes up and sees that, the better. 

If he insists on playing him in midfield, we will get overrun in there more times than not this season. He’d also be blocking the path for Morrell, Bakinson etc. Get rid if that’s the case.

I really hope that it's a case of filling in while others are injured. I like to think that Williams will be that holding MF when fit, with Morrell/Walsh/Bakinson fight for the other spot instead of AW. I think Morrell could easily cover the deeper role too, so plenty of options without having to have Weimann playing out of position .

26 minutes ago, roybuff said:

What is every one thoughts of what he brings to the team

I think he does not suit us playing midfield role 

As seems unable to influence the game enough , just full of running no end product 

Goals 

Today, very little until the last 15 minutes.

Generally in the previous 6 games under Holden he has offered much more.

Having said that I was surprised to see him start there today, I thought it was a one-off last week.

You'd hope, Morrell, Bakinson, Brunt, Nagy etc will force that change sooner rather than later.

He's not a midfielder, he's not a good winger, at best he is a second striker/ striker so when we have Wells fit and ready to go Weimann shouldn't even be getting a look in. We have midfielders who can learn a lot by playing and will do a better job in their natural position, Weimann should be our backup for Wells, not a must start player at all.

18 minutes ago, chinapig said:

So LJ thought he was a right winger now Dean thinks he's a midfielder. When he joined he said he was told he could play up front.

Professional of him to play where he is told to without complaint perhaps but I hope he  will not play in midfield much longer.

He’s another Rowe,will do what they are told and put a shift in whatever position they play which makes them great squad players,should they be bloody starting then no is the answer 

I think Deano said to 20man that he primarily sees Weimann as a forward who can help in midfield if needed. 

When Morrell & Nagy have a few more sessions now they are back, and Walsh and Williams get fit, Weimann will resort to being our 4th striker. 

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

That's the strange thing. At 29 people still don't know his best position!

I don't think he's as good as some people think. But I also think he is versatile, doesn't get injured and runs more than anyone since Bobby.

Given his energy and fitness, when he signed I assumed he would take over Bobby's role. So naturally, LJ stuck him on the right wing.

52 minutes ago, tin said:

He’s a forward, not a midfielder (and never will be). The sooner Holden wakes up and sees that, the better. 

If he insists on playing him in midfield, we will get overrun in there more times than not this season. He’d also be blocking the path for Morrell, Bakinson etc. Get rid if that’s the case.

Well said

58 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

That's the strange thing. At 29 people still don't know his best position!

I don't think he's as good as some people think. But I also think he is versatile, doesn't get injured and runs more than anyone since Bobby.

I'd agree, I think he's a striker, just not a great one, his best quality is getting in behind the defensive line but we don't play a fast counter attacking football so his best strength is wasted and he is not good enough to build a team around anyway.
I honestly think Weimann gets in purlely on his effort and this is why I think Holden was the wrong man for the job, I think he'll put players in the team based on their personality more than their ability. If we have a player who runs a lot and is fit a lot he'll select them but that's not how you get a strong team, you get a strong team by developing a system and putting the right players in the right positions for those systems. If a player is lazy then yes, drop them and give someone else a chance but the line ups should be based on the system and gameplan and their ability to work within it, not grabbing square pegs and trying to force them into round holes. Lee Johnson did this and it really hindered the team and based on the selection today I do fear Holden may do the same based on the players he likes, rather than the ones who can get us playing how we should be.
I know it is far too early to be making those assessments as it's only been one game but we can only judge based on what we've seen and what we've seen today is a team that doesn't have balance with that starting line up and most could have guessed that would be the case before we even kicked off.

39 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

There is absolutely no way he can do Bobby's role imo. Bobby for us would take the ball and twist and turn his opponents. He liked the ball to feet or to win 2nd balls or to run onto a pass or to make selfless runs for the team not even to receive the ball. At this level he nearly had it all.

Weimann surely can't do those things Bobby could do. I thought the bits I saw of Fulham they were better with Bobby up top and Mitrovic not playing. That's the level I think Bobby is at. Top championship striker level.

Weimann is a good player, but I don't see the similarity between him and Bobby other than their high energy levels.

I was specifically thinking of leading the press but since he has never played there we will never know if he could do the other things you refer to.

He certainly isn't a right winger or midfielder, whatever successive head coaches seem to believe.

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Thought he was especially poor today.  He isn’t a midfielder. Really hope he will is on the bench soon. 5th choice striker and 7th choice midfielder for me 

Nail on the head.

I know we were short on numbers today but I would be very surprised if he got in midfield in any other team in the division. His work rate is commendable but you could train a dog to do what he does. He doesn't have the positional sense or quality on the ball to play in midfield.

I think he could be useful maybe as a squad player over the season, coming on up top to press defences and defending from the front when we are holding on to leads but he is just a runner. He doesn't even have a natural position.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I'd agree, I think he's a striker, just not a great one, his best quality is getting in behind the defensive line but we don't play a fast counter attacking football so his best strength is wasted and he is not good enough to build a team around anyway.
I honestly think Weimann gets in purlely on his effort and this is why I think Holden was the wrong man for the job, I think he'll put players in the team based on their personality more than their ability. If we have a player who runs a lot and is fit a lot he'll select them but that's not how you get a strong team, you get a strong team by developing a system and putting the right players in the right positions for those systems. If a player is lazy then yes, drop them and give someone else a chance but the line ups should be based on the system and gameplan and their ability to work within it, not grabbing square pegs and trying to force them into round holes. Lee Johnson did this and it really hindered the team and based on the selection today I do fear Holden may do the same based on the players he likes, rather than the ones who can get us playing how we should be.
I know it is far too early to be making those assessments as it's only been one game but we can only judge based on what we've seen and what we've seen today is a team that doesn't have balance with that starting line up and most could have guessed that would be the case before we even kicked off.

That's a hell of a lot of guesswork, based on little more than your evident displeasure at Holden getting the job.

3 hours ago, roybuff said:

What is every one thoughts of what he brings to the team

I think he does not suit us playing midfield role 

As seems unable to influence the game enough , just full of running no end product 

Goals 

I think you've summed him up perfectly. 

All action but no thought about where to go and at what pace. Never seems to slow down a bit so his brain can be working at the same speed.

Picks up his share of goals but when he gets a clear sight of goal from edge of box, like second half today, rarely keeps shot on target.

Neither a reliable striker or midfield. Useful player but we could do better.

Definitely not a CM. Never has been a CM and probably never will be.

His movement is good- he can press- should press, pairing with Martin in a 3-5-2 would be excellent in some games IMO. Played together at Derby and while Martin can hold the ball an bring others into play, Weimann can do a fair bit of the legwork. He also chips in with around when combined 15 goals and assists per season- well for us anyway, sure it's in that range.

Good to have but surely no more CM please!

Versatility is useful too- wide right or right sided forward- can combine with RWB in some phases to mitigate against being overrun or bypassed in that area- but in CM with ANOther and Paterson- not a slight on any of those 3- it just doesn't work!

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Certainly no better than COD, who seems to get a lot of stick

Definitely adds more value than COD.

Played his best games in a front 2 and when played as a wide midfield you can’t underestimate his work rate and if had to choose between them would be AW over COD.

Playing AW central midfield is ridiculous- can just about accept Pato there as long as the other mids are CMs.

5 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Very versatile very energetic and very underrated by our fans. Definitely not a centre midfielder though 

Nice one - he’s not underrated by me though, his premier league pedigree obviously frustrates him at times, his thinking and positional sense are, unfortunately, light years ahead of most of our players, through no fault of their own. Those who say he “just runs around a lot” are clueless ...

Archived