IGNORED

Weimann

Roymand 1

7 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Hes shit 

39 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

He's not though, is he?

No & it’s crazy to see anyone write off a professional player so easily.

Clearly not being played in position, yes can be frustrating to watch & could be a better finisher but fitness & work rate is exceptional.

Yesterday Coventry tired & it created the difference that won us the game due to the amount of running/work rate/fitness in 2nd half.

Weimann has many redeeming qualities in my opinion, but he's not a central midfield player- especially when we have lots of them available. I think he can bring energy and running to the forward line (even at wingback if we're chasing a game), but he shouldn't be playing where he is. And hopefully yesterday proved that to Holden

It worries me that Holden had 5 games at the back end of last season & pre season & still puts him in a midfield 3. Now there might be things going on behind the scenes that we don’t know about, which forced the choice. But if not, it’s not a choice I’d make. I totally get what he brings to the team, energy, work rate, speed, experience & I would imagine a great attitude, but not a central midfielder by any stretch. COYR 

2 hours ago, Simon79 said:

It worries me that Holden had 5 games at the back end of last season & pre season & still puts him in a midfield 3. Now there might be things going on behind the scenes that we don’t know about, which forced the choice. But if not, it’s not a choice I’d make. I totally get what he brings to the team, energy, work rate, speed, experience & I would imagine a great attitude, but not a central midfielder by any stretch. COYR 

For me that was the first time in 7 games under Holden that the Pato / Weimann +1 midfield 3 wasn’t good enough.

In fairness to Holden he did tweak it a bit at h-t with Weimann playing more to the left of Massengo than in front.

I’m hoping it results in Weimann moving out of midfield.  He’s done a reasonable sticking plaster job in there.  Yesterday wasn’t very good though.

Not aimed at you, But as a group of OTIBers, the eagerness to form clear opinions from one game is staggering!

Massengo, good last week, not good yesterday = get rid

Bakinson, 34 very good minutes yesterday = Vieira, Pogba, etc

Its early in the season, we’ve won twice, there’s a lot of work to do.  We’ve got likely first choice players out injured, we’ve got new boys just arrived, we’ve had an international break impacting preparation.  Let’s show some patience.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

For me that was the first time in 7 games under Holden that the Pato / Weimann +1 midfield 3 wasn’t good enough.

In fairness to Holden he did tweak it a bit at h-t with Weimann playing more to the left of Massengo than in front.

I’m hoping it results in Weimann moving out of midfield.  He’s done a reasonable sticking plaster job in there.  Yesterday wasn’t very good though.

Not aimed at you, But as a group of OTIBers, the eagerness to form clear opinions from one game is staggering!

Its early in the season, we’ve won twice, there’s a lot of work to do.  We’ve got likely first choice players out injured, we’ve got new boys just arrived, we’ve had an international break impacting preparation.  Let’s show some patience.

Not only that Dave but Coventry are fully comfortable playing 352 as they’ve been playing it for a couple of seasons now, compared to us whose been playing it since Holden took over. He himself alluded to this post match. We’re a work in progress with key players to return. 

I noted in various Mark Robins post match interviews he talked about his team needing to be more savvy saying City players (Especially Tommy Rowe) were throwing themselves to ground when touched by their man who was on a yellow early doors. Also said his team rarely get caught out by set plays (Kalas goal) & it’s something they need to be better at the higher you go up the football pyramid (very true). Also like v Exeter our superior fitness told with the ability to bring on quality from the bench is a game changer. 

22 minutes ago, redcherryberry said:

Not only that Dave but Coventry are fully comfortable playing 352 as they’ve been playing it for a couple of seasons now, compared to us whose been playing it since Holden took over. He himself alluded to this post match. We’re a work in progress with key players to return. 

I noted in various Mark Robins post match interviews he talked about his team needing to be more savvy saying City players (Especially Tommy Rowe) were throwing themselves to ground when touched by their man who was on a yellow early doors. Also said his team rarely get caught out by set plays (Kalas goal) & it’s something they need to be better at the higher you go up the football pyramid (very true). Also like v Exeter our superior fitness told with the ability to bring on quality from the bench is a game changer. 

My pre-match preview talked about it being tight for 55-60 minutes but then quality telling.  Ok, we were poor for 45 mins, but fitness told in the end....as did our quality, we had a few more chances in the final 30 mins.

6 hours ago, Red Alert said:

No & it’s crazy to see anyone write off a professional player so easily.

Clearly not being played in position, yes can be frustrating to watch & could be a better finisher but fitness & work rate is exceptional.

Yesterday Coventry tired & it created the difference that won us the game due to the amount of running/work rate/fitness in 2nd half.

What changed the game yesterday was Massengo going off and a midfielder coming on who actually wants to play the ball forwards, and muscle in on some tackles. They visibly weakened with Bakinson in there.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nail on the head with this one Dave.

I was shocked by the massive over reaction on here yesterday. Even by OTIB standards it was embarrassing. So many opinions even formed before half time as well. As you say, staggering!

Lots more patience and realism required for sure.

41 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

Nail on the head with this one Dave.

I was shocked by the massive over reaction on here yesterday. Even by OTIB standards it was embarrassing. So many opinions even formed before half time as well. As you say, staggering!

Lots more patience and realism required for sure.

I wasn't shocked, par for the course on here. And none of them ever admit they overreact either.

One thing I really want to see under Holden is more of an emphasis on keeping/losing the shirt. By which I mean that, in the League Cup last week, Massengo started and the played well, hence earning the right to start yesterday. But he struggled and it seems Bakinson did well, so now that shirt should be Bakinson's to lose.

Similary with Weimann, he's not a midfielder and I don't really want him playing there in the long run but, during the tail end of last season and last week, he got assists in that position and the team did well so the shirt is his to lose.

I couldn't watch yesterday but it sounds like he didn't do so well yesterday. Maybe some other players get tried for the League Cup game or maybe he gets another go but I'd hope his performances and those of others who come on from the bench or rotate for him, dictate who starts.

Walsh and Williams are injured but Morrell must be close to a starting spot. I think Nagy has got a lot more to offer and I hope he gets a chance soon but, at the same time, whether or not Weimann starts is not just about Weimann. It's also about how well other players do when they come in. And, so far, that is a big unknown. I don't really want Weimann in midfield in the long-term but ultimately he is currently there because last season he was effective whilst other bona fide midfielders were not. 

4 hours ago, redcherryberry said:

Importantly Cov are one of the only teams in the league that will effectively play 4 players in centre midfield in their well versed 3-4-2-1 formation and they'll out number and cause alot of problems to a lot of teams especially in terms of controlling the midfield this year so while we definitely should have enacted our plan to counter their system better in the first half it may not be the best game to judge Massengo in particular, especially as he was not playing alongside another recognised centre mid. It just highlights to me how well Bakinson did when he came on to change the game like he did.

I agree with most of you that Weimann is much better playing up top. If Fam leaves as I expect now, he'll get plenty of game time up there. For me, we won't be at our fluid best until Walsh (or Nagy) come in to that centre midfield alongside a Morrell (or Bakinson) in the holding role and of course Paterson.

On 12/09/2020 at 23:28, BS4 on Tour... said:

Nice one - he’s not underrated by me though, his premier league pedigree obviously frustrates him at times, his thinking and positional sense are, unfortunately, light years ahead of most of our players, through no fault of their own. Those who say he “just runs around a lot” are clueless ...

Yeh, keep laughing @redordead1 and @SuperRed - here’s a few examples (check out the vid below) of how deadly Mr Weimann was when playing with players of similar ability in the premier league (including strikes away at both Liverpool and Arsenal) - as I said, those who think he “just runs around a lot” are clueless - have a peek here:

On 12/09/2020 at 17:47, And Its Smith said:

Thought he was especially poor today.  He isn’t a midfielder. Really hope he will is on the bench soon. 5th choice striker and 7th choice midfielder for me 

19 goals & twelve assists for us..

And that with in the majority being played out of position/employed as utility.....

You drip about 'how poor he was & then reinforce "he's not a midfielder??! - correct,,he's not.

Seems with Dean we have "continuation".

Same as it ever was.

Time to get back to your homework & stop chatting shit.

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

19 goals & twelve assists for us..

And that with in the majority being played out of position/employed as utility.....

You drip about 'how poor he was & then reinforce "he's not a midfielder??! - correct,,he's not.

Seems with Dean we have "continuation".

Same as it ever was.

Time to get back to your homework & stop chatting shit.

So in a 5-3-2 he would be in your team would he?  

No need for the last line Robert. It’s just a football forum. 

On 12/09/2020 at 18:07, Davefevs said:

Today, very little until the last 15 minutes.

Generally in the previous 6 games under Holden he has offered much more.

Having said that I was surprised to see him start there today, I thought it was a one-off last week.

You'd hope, Morrell, Bakinson, Brunt, Nagy etc will force that change sooner rather than later.

I think Holden said something in one of the interviews about Andi being key to the press and understanding the triggers.

With that in mind I see him being in the starting XI most weeks.

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

So in a 5-3-2 he would be in your team would he?  

No need for the last line Robert. It’s just a football forum. 

On the limited viewings of Weimann alongside Wells last season, it looks a more natural (and clever) partnership than Diedhiou and Wells. The Cheltenham friendly is worth a watch to see how their movement works.

I didn’t expect Weimann to play CM on Saturday, I understand why he did v Exeter.  So I hope with other players coming back to fitness we see Weimann back up top.

Fo Holden’s press, I think Saturday’s game v Coventry would’ve seen a lot of the issues solved by having Weimann up top to press their CBs.  Diedhiou ambled around, and it meant they played into our midfield with ease.

Couple that with our desire to want to play forward, fast if it’s on, then Weimann and Wells could be a strong combination.

I’m not discounting Martin’s role either....I think Martin, Wells and Weimann (with the continued development of Semenyo) permed into the striker roles is enough to make me feel its time to cash in on Famara.

15 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

To me Weimann is an enigma. He is in many ways, too good to leave out

Yet is not consistent (deadly) enough as a striker or as creative in midfield as we need. Plenty of energy but is it channeled correctly?

I think if you played him as an out and out striker (like we’ve done with Wells and Diedhiou) every week, he’d get 12, maybe 15 goals.  He’s much maligned for a player of his ability.  If he suits the initial press and team play better than Diedhiou and can get you the same amount of goals, wouldn’t it make more sense???

Archived