IGNORED

Fam Today

Silvio Dante

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think it was a really difficult POTS award.  I don’t think there was one standout last season...several players having good spells but then bad ones, e.g. Bentley, Eliasson.  I didn’t vote as a result, because I don’t think there was a worthy winner.  So I disagree he won it easily....but all about opinions.

Oooooohhhh!!  Exciting ⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

Ah, Robins Mole.  Pretty sure this guy was linked to Frozen Robin on OTIB.

He seemed to have a link to someone in the world of football, but also came up with some random crap too.

I think he also runs two or three Twitter accounts that quote each other in order to provide 'evidence'. All pretty sad tbh.

12 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

So we're prepared to sell a player for whom we paid £5M at a £2M loss? I know he's in the last year of his contract, but that would seem a very un-Ashtonian thing to do.   

A 15 goal a season striker at Championship level, who we have arguably improved since we signed him, aged 27, so pretty much in his prime. for a very attractive £3M. There's a few clubs here, never mind France, that would bite your hand off for that. 

Can't see it myself, though I'm not denying he seems likely to go somewhere, which is a pity, as far as I'm concerned.

15 goal a season striker but should have got more. He plays as if he's got an invisible trampoline tied to him. Likeable but not good enough.

17 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

So we're prepared to sell a player for whom we paid £5M at a £2M loss? I know he's in the last year of his contract, but that would seem a very un-Ashtonian thing to do.   

A 15 goal a season striker at Championship level, who we have arguably improved since we signed him, aged 27, so pretty much in his prime. for a very attractive £3M. There's a few clubs here, never mind France, that would bite your hand off for that. 

Can't see it myself, though I'm not denying he seems likely to go somewhere, which is a pity, as far as I'm concerned.

From an FFP point of view it’s a £2m profit!!

I know that’s not the be all and end all, but if true, it’s better than a £1.35m cost for the final year of his contract...plus say £650k in wages for him to go on a free.

Thats a £4m swing!

i will always have mixed views on him.  Great moments and not so great moments with him.

6 minutes ago, Desso said:

15 goal a season striker but should have got more. He plays as if he's got an invisible trampoline tied to him. Likeable but not good enough.

Which might or might not be a valid point - but it's not the one I was making. I wasn't debating his merits as a player or his value to our team. I was merely suggesting that City would be reluctant to accept £2M less than they reportedly paid for him. 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

From an FFP point of view it’s a £2m profit!!

I know that’s not the be all and end all, but if true, it’s better than a £1.35m cost for the final year of his contract...plus say £650k in wages for him to go on a free.

Thats a £4m swing!

i will always have mixed views on him.  Great moments and not so great moments with him.

I'm no accountant, Dave, so I'll take your word on that and can see the logic from a purely monetary point of view. And yes, he is, like so many others, a player who divides opinion. Personally, I regard him on balance as an asset and would rather he stayed, but that said, no player is irreplaceable. (Would we replace him, actually, or go with what we've got?) 

5 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Which might or might not be a valid point - but it's not the one I was making. I wasn't debating his merits as a player or his value to our team. I was merely suggesting that City would be reluctant to accept £2M less than they reportedly paid for him. 

LJ saw Fam as both a striker and a defender and his defensive headers were more effective that his headers at the other end.

Fam is not an instinctive goalscorer as Wells Is or Tony ‘tap-in’ Thorpe was and his goals per game ratio wouldn’t necessarily attract big money offers so it’s possible City might have to take a hit but as DaveFev explains that wouldn’t be such a heavy it. 

If City got back what they  paid for him - happy days!

52 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

I'm no accountant, Dave, so I'll take your word on that and can see the logic from a purely monetary point of view. And yes, he is, like so many others, a player who divides opinion. Personally, I regard him on balance as an asset and would rather he stayed, but that said, no player is irreplaceable. (Would we replace him, actually, or go with what we've got?) 

I tend to agree with most of your comment. Except that for us to win promotion, by play offs or automatic, we need a striker who is more clinical and consistent in finishing.

1 hour ago, CliftonCliff said:

He is an asset, it’s just this bloody contract situation.  In terms of deadlines I would give him until the end of the month with the impending European deadline due.  That would give us time to get a deal done abroad, and recruit, or look for a suitor in this country.

Deadline dates from EFL:

The window for international registrations closes at 11pm on Monday 5 October, with an agreement in place with the Premier League for an extended two-week domestic only window which will close at 5pm on Friday 16 October. 

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I tend to agree with most of your comment. Except that for us to win promotion, by play offs or automatic, we need a striker who is more clinical and consistent in finishing.

Do we really though?

Who was the last promoted side to go up with two prolific strikers/goalscorers during their promotion season?

We have Nakhi who we hope and expect to get around 20 this year. If you look at the promoted clubs from last year:

Leeds - Top scorer Bamford with 16 (and missed 30 odd big chances across the season), second top scorer Hernandes with 9.

West Brom - top goalscorers Robson-Kanu and Austin with 10.

Fulham - top goalscorer - Mitrovic with 26, second top scorer Cairney with 8.

Having started this, let me just say there’s a lot of conflation going on. To me - and setting Saturday aside (where undoubtedly Fam was poor) there are a few key questions being raised:

1. Should we sell Fam if we can’t agree a new contract?

The answer here has to be yes. The only way you could argue no is if it was thought that Fam was an integral part of a promotion challenge - and that brings us to (2)

2. If we didn’t have Fam, would you sign him as a nailed on top six (as that’s the aim) starter?

Answer here is no IMO. There’s not enough quality, consistency or finishing prowess. The only way you can argue otherwise is if your answer to (3) is yes, which is:

3. Even if Fam wouldn’t be a top six starter normally, would he be of intrinsic value to your particular system?

We’re looking at playing a 3-5-2 fast pressing system with a focal point who can hold the ball up well and bring others into it. Thats why people are saying Martin will play - not because of 30 minutes on Saturday. It’s his game, any Derby forum tells you that. When we played a fast pressing game prior (17-18) we did it best without Fam, which is why there are misgivings

That brings us to (4).

4. If you’re Fam, would you sign a new deal if you’re likely - not based on last year but based on system this year - as third choice?

If Fam will, great - and nobody has expressed a desire to get rid or questioned his attitude. But as a man who is now at the age where this is his last big move, you’d have to question if he’d want to. If he didn’t have these concerns - I’d imagine the contract would be signed by now.

Nonodys saying he was poor Saturday so get rid. People are saying the above which is far more nuanced than saying “he was POTY (incidentally, totally with @Davefevsthere) so why are you binning him on one game”.

30 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Perhaps. But as I pointed out on another thread a short while ago (and I think someone else - RR, maybe - has mentioned it above), good sides often tend to contribute goals from all around the team. In our double-winning season under Cotterill, every single outfield player got on the score sheet at some point, keeper apart. The season before they all left the club, Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid and Aden Flint scored 35 between them. I'd argue that's better than being over-dependent on one prolific striker, who of course might get injured. (In fact, in our case, would almost certainly get  injured!)

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think he'd get in the right kind of top 6 team. Certainly not a team like Brentford. 

Play Fam up top on his own in a quality team that play direct football. I think he'd be a right handful.

I think we'd only sell if we get a good enough offer. We'll probably keep him till January if a club don't come in with a high enough offer.

I don’t see us keeping until January if the contracts not signed - that simply isn’t how the club operate these days. The value depreciation between now and Jan would be huge

Let’s  say we could sell now for 5 but it goes to 3. Would you pay £2m plus wages for in effect a three month loan on a non guaranteed starter - as that’s how Ashton will view it.

Fact is, we’re not going to play him up top on his own or - hopefully - play direct so we’re not the top six side you’re looking for there (I’d also disagree - I think he’s best in a 4-4-2 and he’s not really a target man).

Logic just says to me he’s on his way, and again, it’s something that looks like it might time right for both parties.

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think he'd get in the right kind of top 6 team. Certainly not a team like Brentford. 

Play Fam up top on his own in a quality team that play direct football. I think he'd be a right handful.

I think we'd only sell if we get a good enough offer. We'll probably keep him till January if a club don't come in with a high enough offer.

Although Fam has qualities I don’t think he’d prosper as a target man in a direct team that lumped long balls at him. That’s not his style. He’s not that good in the air, he’s a bit lacking in pace and his ball control is average. He is a better fit in a front two of a team that plays a passing game 

That was a standard diediou performance. Utter utter garbage the worst signing per pound ever spent. League player. Weve had some bad players but have been free transfers or couple hundred grand not a record 5.2mill. Get rid of quick

On 12/09/2020 at 19:23, Hare Island said:

Clearly distracted and if he stays will likely be backup to Wells and Martin. If an offer comes in that’s decent we must take it 

Free a do

On 12/09/2020 at 20:10, maxjak said:

2 games in........and the criticism starts. Fam is not up to speed with his fitness, and Wells will play himself in after a couple of games.   If their not performing in 2 or 3 games time, then the fault finding would be justifiable.  But it's a bit early to start having a go?  But i guess thats the trend, to censure.........rather than analyse the reasons for their lack of performance?  ?

What on earth you on about. Its not 2 games in. Its 3 years in

3 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Perhaps. But as I pointed out on another thread a short while ago (and I think someone else - RR, maybe - has mentioned it above), good sides often tend to contribute goals from all around the team. In our double-winning season under Cotterill, every single outfield player got on the score sheet at some point, keeper apart. The season before they all left the club, Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid and Aden Flint scored 35 between them. I'd argue that's better than being over-dependent on one prolific striker, who of course might get injured. (In fact, in our case, would almost certainly get  injured!)

Fair comment.

Plenty of overreactions here regarding Fam. Some very short memories of how well he played last season, which wasn’t so long ago.

We all know Fam’s game, he’s a proven striker at this level who plays with his heart. From what I saw on the weekend he doesn’t look match fit just yet, but that will come with more games coming up. 

The contract situation isn’t ideal but you can never question Fam’s  commitment whenever he puts on the City shirt. 

On 12/09/2020 at 21:50, Mr Popodopolous said:

Very good at QPR- unsure we're playing to his strengths properly.

He seemed to pick up post lockdown return in June, but him and Diedhiou as a pair/combination...doesn't do it for me.

Too be fair neither fam or Nakki are not getting the service from our wide men or the fullbacks offer little going forward they seem to be recieving balls lumped up to them.

One of the most frustrating players i've ever seen in a city shirt. An improved touch and a little more clinical he could be a 20-25 goal a season man. Really got a lot better towards the end of last season but don't think hes quite got the nous to take us through the playoffs. Last game wasn't great for him but wouldn't judge him alone on that. Think its time to cash in and put Martin up top, we did play our best football in years when he was injured for 6 months. 

In terms of his overall contribution to the team he is important and certainly hardworking, when it comes to being an effective goal scorer he’s average. We will see a stark contrast, I think, when comparing Fammy with Chris Martin, the latter will look lazy and uninvolved for large periods.

So for me it depends whether we are judging FD on his overall team contribution, I’d say he would average 7.5 out of 10 for this or on his goal scoring/attacking which for me would be an average of about 6 out of 10.

The other consideration is Fammy’s partnership with NW. I am yet to see anything to suggest the two of them are going to forge a successful striking partnership.

Fam is proven at this level - proven strikers at this level cost in the most part a LOT of money.. the criticism Fam gets is ridiculous, as others have said he always puts in a shift for the team aswell so his attitude can never be questioned. Hopefully he signs the new deal and stays at City for a good few more seasons yet as like i said an alternative to fam will cost upwards of £10 million.

Archived