Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Recommended Posts

There’s a lot of (correct) criticism of others today, but just a note on Fams performance. 

That was one of his worst games for some time, and followed off an indifferent display last week. He had three good chances and fluffed them all:

- The header. He’s got the space and time to see it onto his head and we know he’s got it in his locker (QPR), but that was almost catching practice for the keeper - easy height and close to it

- The volley. Kalas and Moore did excellently to block the defenders and afford him the space, and he had a lot of time to watch it onto his foot. Not easy, but a complete hash

- The square ball from Nahki - slightly behind him yes but def should have done better

All round today he was also poor. We improved on the subs because  in part Martin was showing and linking up - Fam wasn’t doing that and the lack of out ball was part (although not all) of the first half issue.

I would say I don’t think it was a desire problem - the follow up block after Bentleys late first half space was excellent. But as has been said before, it looks as if he’s third choice frontman now. We know he needs games sometimes to get into a rhythm - and I’m not sure he’ll get those.

Today - and importantly the contradiction with Martin in this system - probably confirmed the thoughts that it may be best for all parties if we cash in with a year left. I don’t see him getting the run of games he needs and I’m not sure this system means he should be any more than third choice.

I think he’ll give his all if he plays. But I don’t see him being here at window close.

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

There’s a lot of (correct) criticism of others today, but just a note on Fams performance. 

That was one of his worst games for some time, and followed off an indifferent display last week. He had three good chances and fluffed them all:

- The header. He’s got the space and time to see it onto his head and we know he’s got it in his locker (QPR), but that was almost catching practice for the keeper - easy height and close to it

- The volley. Kalas and Moore did excellently to block the defenders and afford him the space, and he had a lot of time to watch it onto his foot. Not easy, but a complete hash

- The square ball from Nahki - slightly behind him yes but def should have done better

All round today he was also poor. We improved on the subs because  in part Martin was showing and linking up - Fam wasn’t doing that and the lack of out ball was part (although not all) of the first half issue.

I would say I don’t think it was a desire problem - the follow up block after Bentleys late first half space was excellent. But as has been said before, it looks as if he’s third choice frontman now. We know he needs games sometimes to get into a rhythm - and I’m not sure he’ll get those.

Today - and importantly the contradiction with Martin in this system - probably confirmed the thoughts that it may be best for all parties if we cash in with a year left. I don’t see him getting the run of games he needs and I’m not sure this system means he should be any more than third choice.

I think he’ll give his all if he plays. But I don’t see him being here at window close.

⬆️

Totally agree.

Cash in.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds harsh, but if he’s not fit or on form and there is a possibility he’ll move; don’t play him - mainly as if he is off the pace like today might lower his value!

Love the lad, but he’s not ready just now, and if he might be going; let’s have him do it with thanks for the great end to last season and both sides move on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I mentioned it the other day . I wouldn’t start him whilst the contract saga is carrying on . He was poor against Exeter. He was shit against Coventry. It’s obviously affecting him 

Totally agree. Shouldn’t be in the team for me. Either sign the contract or get yourself a move but sit on the bench whilst you make up your mind.

Nothing against him at all, I’d say the same for any City player in the same situation. You want players 100% committed players to the cause.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

There’s a lot of (correct) criticism of others today, but just a note on Fams performance. 

That was one of his worst games for some time, and followed off an indifferent display last week. He had three good chances and fluffed them all:

- The header. He’s got the space and time to see it onto his head and we know he’s got it in his locker (QPR), but that was almost catching practice for the keeper - easy height and close to it

- The volley. Kalas and Moore did excellently to block the defenders and afford him the space, and he had a lot of time to watch it onto his foot. Not easy, but a complete hash

- The square ball from Nahki - slightly behind him yes but def should have done better

All round today he was also poor. We improved on the subs because  in part Martin was showing and linking up - Fam wasn’t doing that and the lack of out ball was part (although not all) of the first half issue.

I would say I don’t think it was a desire problem - the follow up block after Bentleys late first half space was excellent. But as has been said before, it looks as if he’s third choice frontman now. We know he needs games sometimes to get into a rhythm - and I’m not sure he’ll get those.

Today - and importantly the contradiction with Martin in this system - probably confirmed the thoughts that it may be best for all parties if we cash in with a year left. I don’t see him getting the run of games he needs and I’m not sure this system means he should be any more than third choice.

I think he’ll give his all if he plays. But I don’t see him being here at window close.

Your second paragraph sums Fam up. He simply misses too many chances. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, One Team said:

He’s one of my favourite players but was really poor today.

Agreed. He played the very good ball over the top to Wells for our first goal. Lovely weighted chip over the top. I think he did get into some good positions in the box but didn't have his finishing boots on today. Martin looked much more composed when he came on, and I think even Semenyo got involved more than Fam did. One to forget for him today (and that applies to a few of our guys). 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

If I'm being honest, I haven't been overly impressed with Nahki.

Me neither. Extremely lightweight. No pace. 
Hopefully he just ends up as one of those strikers that just seems to be in the right place at the right time!

  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 games in........and the criticism starts. Fam is not up to speed with his fitness, and Wells will play himself in after a couple of games.   If their not performing in 2 or 3 games time, then the fault finding would be justifiable.  But it's a bit early to start having a go?  But i guess thats the trend, to censure.........rather than analyse the reasons for their lack of performance?  😛

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

There’s a lot of (correct) criticism of others today, but just a note on Fams performance. 

That was one of his worst games for some time, and followed off an indifferent display last week. He had three good chances and fluffed them all:

- The header. He’s got the space and time to see it onto his head and we know he’s got it in his locker (QPR), but that was almost catching practice for the keeper - easy height and close to it

- The volley. Kalas and Moore did excellently to block the defenders and afford him the space, and he had a lot of time to watch it onto his foot. Not easy, but a complete hash

- The square ball from Nahki - slightly behind him yes but def should have done better

All round today he was also poor. We improved on the subs because  in part Martin was showing and linking up - Fam wasn’t doing that and the lack of out ball was part (although not all) of the first half issue.

I would say I don’t think it was a desire problem - the follow up block after Bentleys late first half space was excellent. But as has been said before, it looks as if he’s third choice frontman now. We know he needs games sometimes to get into a rhythm - and I’m not sure he’ll get those.

Today - and importantly the contradiction with Martin in this system - probably confirmed the thoughts that it may be best for all parties if we cash in with a year left. I don’t see him getting the run of games he needs and I’m not sure this system means he should be any more than third choice.

I think he’ll give his all if he plays. But I don’t see him being here at window close.

I can accept him having games where things don’t come off....today was one of those.

But the other thing is that his pressing is awful.  Today he allowed the Coventry CBs to pass the ball around him.  They worked the ball into midfield so easy.  Wells isn’t a great presser either, but he’s better than Fam.  Chris Martin isn’t hugely mobile, but he knows how to work the press.  It appeared that Coventry went longer later in the game, partly 1) Hamer going off, 2) getting tired 3) we closed passing lanes better.  Martin was part of that.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair the volley was dropping out of the sun, so it was more difficult than it first appeared.

I would cash him in.  He just isn't a good enough striker for me.  A half fit Martin was a vast improvement.

Edited by Red Skin
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought he did ok with the header and won the ball well in the build up to Paterson’s goal but was really poor aside from that.

Several silly fouls, poor passes and he just didn’t get into the game, Martin (although obviously puffing by the end) was a significant improvement.

Do have to wonder how much this contract stuff is playing on his mind, we certainly need it settled one way or the other.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He is clearly not fit but was very poor today.

He can still play a big role over 46 games. He needs to get up to speed. If we cashed in would we re-invest on another striker? I know Martin was decent today but they are different players. It was an encouraging debut from Martin. Back to goal he is a very clever player but I think its a bit early to be saying we should get rid of Fam based on one poor performance today and an impressive cameo from Martin.

We need a competitive squad. If we let Fam go our back ups would be Weimann & Semenyo.  It would leave us lacking quality up top. Weimann isn't up to it and Semenyo is unproven. Plenty more players in that squad we should be looking to ship on before Fam.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I can accept him having games where things don’t come off....today was one of those.

But the other thing is that his pressing is awful.  Today he allowed the Coventry CBs to pass the ball around him.  They worked the ball into midfield so easy.  Wells isn’t a great presser either, but he’s better than Fam.  Chris Martin isn’t hugely mobile, but he knows how to work the press.  It appeared that Coventry went longer later in the game, partly 1) Hamer going off, 2) getting tired 3) we closed passing lanes better.  Martin was part of that.

I do think Fam is a relatively unintelligent footballer. It’s rare I see him make decoy runs and drag players  and that also goes in hand with working the press (I.e when do you go). It’s all part of “big picture” visualisation. Martin is clearly an intelligent footballer and that creates a real contrast.

Definitely a bad day at the office but I have real reservations about him in this system overall.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree on Fam’s display today, and with others saying he shouldn’t play while these contract talks are rumbling on. 

Here’s a thought for Holden, how about you drop Fam and play Weimann up top with Wells and play a proper midfielder in midfield? Failing that, play Martin.

 

Edited by tin
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, samo II said:

It sounds harsh, but if he’s not fit or on form and there is a possibility he’ll move; don’t play him - mainly as if he is off the pace like today might lower his value!

Love the lad, but he’s not ready just now, and if he might be going; let’s have him do it with thanks for the great end to last season and both sides move on.

 

 

9 minutes ago, tin said:

Agree on Fam’s display today, and with others saying he shouldn’t play while these contract talks are rumbling on. 

Here’s a thought for Holden, how about you drop Fam and play Weimann up top with Wells and play a proper midfielder in midfield? Failing that, play Martin.

 

Performance today aside....If we were actually looking to move Fam on... am I right in thinking we probably wouldn't be playing / risking him right now?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

I mentioned it the other day . I wouldn’t start him whilst the contract saga is carrying on . He was poor against Exeter. He was shit against Coventry. It’s obviously affecting him 

Agree with you. He is refusing the contract the club offered him why is he being selected at all. It is not as if  he is prolific in front of goal. He misses more than he scores. Let's give Martin /Semenyo the game time instead.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a post match England interview with Alan Shearer when he was awarded the MOTM Award, where he said "this is very nice but I don't deserve it because my job is to create and score goals, I did neither".

Strikers have to be a threat, they are not picked to be a "jack of all trades". 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Lydered said:

Performance today aside....If we were actually looking to move Fam on... am I right in thinking we probably wouldn't be playing / risking him right now?

It’s a fair point.

I like him, don’t get me wrong, and would like him to stay (be interesting seeing him up top with Martin after seeing his play today), but he seemed off the boil, so my hope is he might be given a bit of time to get up to speed, possibly coming in off the bench for a bit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Lydered said:

 

 

Performance today aside....If we were actually looking to move Fam on... am I right in thinking we probably wouldn't be playing / risking him right now?

That was my thought. I would be surprised if DH was starting him and we were looking to move him on.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...