IGNORED

Jay Dasilva

steviestevieneville

Obviously we all hope it’s nothing serious regarding his injury . However it seems it’s his shin again , not sure if it’s the one he broke against Leeds Last season . If ( worst case scenario ) he’s out for as long this season. Do we get someone in as cover , or expect Rowe and Brunt to be good enough ? 

Dean post match:

We will see next week, he’s seeing someone next week in London so then we will get a time frame. He has an issue with his shin that he had last season, so not great news of course. We will just have to see on the timescale because it’s hard to say. We need the experts to look at it first hopefully and then we’ll have a bit more news towards the middle-end of next week.

I remember, years ago (early 90s), Liverpool had a RB signed from Crewe - Rob Jones. Absolute quality, and was in the England squad c1992.

IIRC he ended up with Shin Splints and had to retire at 27ish. Just couldn’t run a streak of games without it happening.

Hope that’s not the case here, but it seems pertinent in view of the injury and reoccurrence 

Worrying news. My biggest concern about this system is that your wing backs are too defensively minded and/or don’t have the energy levels and pace to play the position correctly.

Holden said in his interview the other day that he very much sees it as an attacking formation but It’s a tough role to play and without the right players, it can quickly become a very negative 5-3-2.

I appreciate Holden really likes this system but in my opinion, if you don’t have the players available to execute it exactly how you want, then don’t play it.

56 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Obviously we all hope it’s nothing serious regarding his injury . However it seems it’s his shin again , not sure if it’s the one he broke against Leeds Last season . If ( worst case scenario ) he’s out for as long this season. Do we get someone in as cover , or expect Rowe and Brunt to be good enough ? 

Seeing as it’s the same issue, maybe we should be looking at a permanent replacement rather than temporary cover

9 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Worrying news. My biggest concern about this system is that your wing backs are too defensively minded and/or don’t have the energy levels and pace to play the position correctly.

Holden said in his interview the other day that he very much sees it as an attacking formation but It’s a tough role to play and without the right players, it can quickly become a very negative 5-3-2.

I appreciate Holden really likes this system but in my opinion, if you don’t have the players available to execute it exactly how you want, then don’t play it.

I think we do have the players to play this system though. I think today we were a little pushed due to numbers to make it work effectively and it verged on square pegs round holes. I actually think we have good wing back options but are light at centre half. Even with Mawson I think we lack depth and quality there with Baker injured. That would be my concern with that system at present, not the wing backs.

11 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

I think we do have the players to play this system though. I think today we were a little pushed due to numbers to make it work effectively and it verged on square pegs round holes. I actually think we have good wing back options but are light at centre half. Even with Mawson I think we lack depth and quality there with Baker injured. That would be my concern with that system at present, not the wing backs.

Need to see Sessegnon. But with Hunt on the right, and without Dasilva on the left, I think we become too defensive, struggle to get out and go long too quickly. Hunt has good games in him but I still think he is more a right back. 

Dasilva is superb at receiving it under pressure and in tight spaces. He really adds to the midfield going forward.

Difficult to replace and Rowe whilst steady is not the answer. Perhaps Brunt can do a job but he won’t have the energy levels to sustain it for long periods. Leaves O’Dowda I guess. Great. 

2 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Need to see Sessegnon. But with Hunt on the right, and without Dasilva on the left, I think we become too defensive, struggle to get out and go long too quickly. Hunt has good games in him but I still think he is more a right back. 

Dasilva is superb at receiving it under pressure and in tight spaces. He really adds to the midfield going forward.

Difficult to replace and Rowe whilst steady is not the answer. Perhaps Brunt can do a job but he won’t have the energy levels to sustain it for long periods. Leaves O’Dowda I guess. Great. 

Yeah there is always that risk with JH & JD. natural full backs I guess, not wing backs. I think both have good energy levels though to get us up the pitch, providing we control the midfield it can be effective for us. I cant see Brunt playing as a wing back but you never know with COD. He has been awful for us but maybe DH will get a tune out of him from wing back. I am doubtful mind.

1 minute ago, Taylor10 said:

Yeah there is always that risk with JH & JD. natural full backs I guess, not wing backs. I think both have good energy levels though to get us up the pitch, providing we control the midfield it can be effective for us. I cant see Brunt playing as a wing back but you never know with COD. He has been awful for us but maybe DH will get a tune out of him from wing back. I am doubtful mind.

Hopefully our attempt to control the midfield in the future doesn't include Pats and Andy being part of it.

At least not both together.

2 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Hopefully our attempt to control the midfield in the future doesn't include Pats and Andy being part of it.

At least not both together.

Paterson for me is our best option in the 10 role not CM though. Weimann shouldn't be anywhere near the starting line up let alone midfield.

15 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

It’s also hard to tell when we don’t have anything like our first choice midfield playing isn’t it. 

I love JD, think he’s superb on his day and due to injuries, I don’t think we’ve seen him anywhere near his best since we signed him permanently.

I just think due to his fitness issues, if we are sticking to this system, we could do with a natural backup. And a centre half as you rightly pointed out!

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Dean post match:

We will see next week, he’s seeing someone next week in London so then we will get a time frame. He has an issue with his shin that he had last season, so not great news of course. We will just have to see on the timescale because it’s hard to say. We need the experts to look at it first hopefully and then we’ll have a bit more news towards the middle-end of next week.

Thanks , bit more insight . Like to be positive but difficult as it’s the same injury 

4 minutes ago, Kibs said:

It’s also hard to tell when we don’t have anything like our first choice midfield playing isn’t it. 

I love JD, think he’s superb on his day and due to injuries, I don’t think we’ve seen him anywhere near his best since we signed him permanently.

I just think due to his fitness issues, if we are sticking to this system, we could do with a natural backup. And a centre half as you rightly pointed out!

completely agree on JD. Class on his day but for whatever reason he has not reached the levels he did in his first season with us. If we can sign someone to push him then it would definitely benefit us. 

5 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

completely agree on JD. Class on his day but for whatever reason he has not reached the levels he did in his first season with us. If we can sign someone to push him then it would definitely benefit us. 

That’s difficult to do if you’re constantly coming back from injury to be fair . He needs a good run of games which he hadn’t had . Let’s hope it’s a short term injury . If not , the club might have to think of buying a new first choice . Hypothetical of course 

Archived