IGNORED

shirt numbers.

redsquirrel

Well, I was watching Liverpool vs Leeds earlier and Jamie Carragher on commentary said something along the lines of “Steven Gerrard started off with squad number 28 when he first got into the first team reckoning, then a season or so later he was handed the number 17 shirt - but when he was told he was squad number 8 he knew he was an automatic pick” - so there may be some truth in your musings ... 

50 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The answer is that it varies. 

Kasey Palmer is 45 through choice 

Andi Weimann is 14 through choice

Nahki Wells is 21 through choice.

Tomas Kalas is 22 through choice.

So, although it may give a boost, it doesn’t matter generally,

To be fair Kasey Palmer seems to be 45th choice so thats about right 

9 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

do the players get a lift if they get a top 11 shirt number do you have to work extra hard to get number 9?? or does it not make any difference these days

It doesn’t really matter these days essentially because of the larger squads in the modern game and as others have said some players like a particular number.

Years ago 2 and 3 were full backs. 5 was the stopper. 4 and 6 were midfielders and 7 and 11 were wingers. 8,9, and 10 were forwards. No names on shirts! 

Its different in the modern game although the lower shirt numbers usually indicate that the player is a defender.

I believe there is still some prestige in first 11 squad numbers, particular when you have large squads.

In my own limited football career there was a scramble for the single digits every season and to keep hold of one was important. 

Now vanity numbers seem more important to the big start. 66 for Trent Alexander Arnold winds me up more than it should. 

Archived