IGNORED

Kasey Palmer

Pickle Rick

Huge dilemma for Holden if, as it appears, he wants to move him on.

He is one of our top six earners, so those who somehow seem to think he will be easy to shift (far too much Football Manager) are just living in dreamland.

Apart from those sides (QPR, Brentford, Forest) who have sold big to The Prem, no one is spending money at all.

Look at us, we are effectively funded Williams by selling Szmodics & that money came from Villa buying Watkins after Brentford bought Toney.

9 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm a fan, I think he has bags of talent and vision, but we should never have signed him. We already had Paterson and Szmodics and it was only when Swansea showed an interest LJ did his "I want that one" thing and Steve bought him another toy.
I don't agree with those that say he can't play in this system, what does Weimann bring? Doesn't tackle, usually holds the ball too long when breaking, but he is very fit and very busy. 
As COD has featured I would think he is the option when Pato needs a rest, so I think if they can get a reasonable bid, KP will be off. We should get our money back but we've wasted him. We need to stop accumulating players like we have done.

Think it was Ashton rather than LJ who wanted him..

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Huge dilemma for Holden if, as it appears, he wants to move him on.

He is one of our top six earners, so those who somehow seem to think he will be easy to shift (far too much Football Manager) are just living in dreamland.

Apart from those sides (QPR, Brentford, Forest) who have sold big to The Prem, no one is spending money at all.

Look at us, we are effectively funded Williams by selling Szmodics & that money came from Villa buying Watkins after Brentford bought Toney.

I think we could loan him to another championship club.  Someone may well take him for a season for a total cost of £1m including wages. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

He's not good enough for this system. Look at the work rate from our midfielders yesterday. No way can he do that. And he isn't a striker either imo.

He will be off I'm sure.

What happens if this system fails? Or key players are out and we have to switch systems? I hate the idea of square pegs in round holes, rarely good to watch.

We do need to trim the squad and if he doesn't rate KP then get rid but we still need options to play in other ways. This is what makes me nervous when we hear talk of Eliasson going too. 

24 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'm thinking Wigan at home, WBA away as examples of him being really careless in possesion. I think there were other starts too where he was poor. Or when he came off the bench he was really bad in some games.

Holden has said he likes his team to win it back quickly - doesn't really suit Palmer. 

Get it forward quickly - does not really suit Palmer who likes to dwell on the ball.

The formation has been the same in all 7 competitive games so far. 2 box to box midfielders and 1 holder - does not suit Palmer imo. He's a floating attacking midfielder that would suit a different shape.

Holden has used 2 strikers which for me Palmer can't do as he hasn't the work rate and movement to do that role either.

The one thing I would say that goes in Kasey's favour is that we have Wells and Weimann as a potential partnership. Especially if Fam is off.

He would suit them with his through balls like he did Afobe and Weimann briefly at the start of last season.

But then I'd say Pato can do that, maybe not quite to Palmer's level in his through balls, but Pato offers much more in other areas that Palmer doesn't, and is also capable of a through pass if there's that good movement ahead of him.

Walsh can certainly thread a a great ball through too or beat a man in midfield. But is also very hard working like Pato, will put his foot in. Is comfortable in defensive areas having played a whole season in front of.a back 3 with Coventry.

And going back to the system I think we can play Paterson or Walsh or even both in this system.

And there's others too. Williams might be a brilliant tackler and might have amazing work rate. But he's also very good on the ball, can certainly thread a ball through or beat a man.

Morrell too is far more than just a player who can battle in midfield. 

They're more complete players for me from what I've seen of them. And with Brunt coming in too. Massengo the player with the biggest potential out of all our players. Palmer will surely be one that goes.

I haven't even mentioned Bakinson who after yesterday might well be in our plans, and what about Nagy!

Bit of a vague answer. Wish you'd add detail 

19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think it was Ashton rather than LJ who wanted him..

There may have been an element of potential pound signs from a sell on, but Johnson said many times, he had the final say.
Which ever way you look at it though, poor mixed up thought process, bit like signing hundreds of wingers when you don't play with wingers.

44 minutes ago, Redstart said:

I really wanted him to do well but being realistic he has underachieved at every club he's been at. No way on this earth anyone is going to offer £2m for Palmer now. Who would pay that when he can't even get on our bench and we are hardly setting the world alight at the moment.

A club who recognise his talent and can showcase it .

Is it possible that a more technical league would see the guy excelling ?

In Italy or Spain for example where running about is not necessarily considered the biggest positive for a player ? 

32 minutes ago, Jacki said:

I think it’s pretty clear with Palmer. As others have said, he doesn’t work hard enough to fit how DH wants to play and he’s often careless in possession. He’s on big money, miles away from the first team, and he’s an obvious one that we’ll be trying to move on. 

Has he had chance under DH to play his game like the club originally bought him for ?? It is still to early judge as Kasey is a massive clever player and  was bought in to a side managed by LJ. He was told to play how LJ wanted and not what the club purchased him for. 

If DH is savvy and the jury is still out with DH but I think with the majority DH has the mind set to let Kasey play at a level which will benefit all. 

COYR. 

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Why am I thinking that Walsh , could in fact , be the guy to be sold ?

I just have this feeling in my water. 

IMO that would be a complete waste.  We have some great young talent , most of which hasn't had a chance under Holden yet. We don't know how DH sees things until they are all fit, but. Nagy & Palmer have hardly had a look, I think that may signal they could be off. HNM, & Bakinson have been involved and Walsh & Morrell thought not available but must surely be important. If we didn't 'own' them, they would be exactly the type of player we would be trying to sign, the best of the lower division. 

If Nagy and Palmer go, it makes the squad slightly more balanced. We will need plenty of scope for rotation but I don't think we'd miss those two as it currently stands.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think we can have someone like Palmer far away from Holden's team kept here just in case he wants to change our tactics.

And a change of tactics does not have to include Palmer. We changed things a bit second half yesterday which was done without Palmer that gave us control and won us the game.

I don't think anyone has suggested that.....If KP is not in DHs plans, he needs to go. For his sake and the clubs.

A complete waste of money. A significant transfer fee and I suspect not cheap in terms of wages. 

57 minutes ago, Redstart said:

I really wanted him to do well but being realistic he has underachieved at every club he's been at. No way on this earth anyone is going to offer £2m for Palmer now. Who would pay that when he can't even get on our bench and we are hardly setting the world alight at the moment.

They will. Number 10s always retain value as maverick players. Still very young, experienced and English. 

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. That would leave us with Williams, Brunt, Morrell, Bakinson, Massengo, Walsh and Paterson.

7. But Brunt maybe possible to cover other roles.

Weimann move back up top with maybe Fam being sold.

I really feel Brunt might be used as LCB, giving us a ball player to come out from the back.

If I was playing against city and saw a team sheet with Palmer playing, I'd be setting my team up to deal with his threat. That opens options for others.

I'm sure we've not seen the best of him yet. 

Every team needs the creative genius. You can't have 11 grafters. That works in league one, but championship less so. You need a spark, a visionary

So many times this forum is loaded with comments that we don't create or our midfield doesn't create options for the forward line

Palmer has bags of potential to solve that. 

I'd take a creative player for 25 mins off the bench when trying to win a game every time

He's exactly the type of player we needed but then didn't quite know what to with once he was here. 

LJs team last season needed a player capable of breaking from. Midfield and creating chances but it seemed to me that LJs formations, playing style and coaching stifled and almost discouraged that type of flair, preferring efficiency instead. 

I can understand if DH wants to play it a bit safe to start with to get results and to get everyone onside, but would like to think that if he looks to play more expansive football that KP will get a chance. 

Having said that, with the return of Walsh, Morrell and Bakinson and the addition of Williams and Brunt we are overloaded with midfielders and sadly I can see KP leaving. 

Just now, Matthew me said:

Think we will live to regret that. Too many times we've been left with no creative options on the pitch. We can be very predictable

But Kasey has had a season and a half to ‘earn the shirt’ and be the creative genius that some think he is. He hasn’t done that. He really doesn’t do enough.

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

They will. Number 10s always retain value as maverick players. Still very young, experienced and English. 

No chance, no one has that sort of money in a Covid transfer market.

That’s even before they find out his wages.

Archived