IGNORED

Kasey Palmer

Pickle Rick

2 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

But Kasey has had a season and a half to ‘earn the shirt’ and be the creative genius that some think he is. He hasn’t done that. He really doesn’t do enough.

I don't think LJ used him enough. He's a confidence type player. Give him a run of games and build him up. 

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I see a great player waiting to explode 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Huge dilemma for Holden if, as it appears, he wants to move him on.

He is one of our top six earners, so those who somehow seem to think he will be easy to shift (far too much Football Manager) are just living in dreamland.

Apart from those sides (QPR, Brentford, Forest) who have sold big to The Prem, no one is spending money at all.

Look at us, we are effectively funded Williams by selling Szmodics & that money came from Villa buying Watkins after Brentford bought Toney.

When we bought him, it reminded me a bit of the Thorpe/Sorenson/Akinbiyi saga from the 1999/00 season. We didn't need a player like him, with Szmodics and Paterson already in place. It's hardly as if he had set the world alight when he was on loan; unlike Tomlin. I bet Chelsea couldn't believe that a club was finally going to buy him.

The £3.5m we spent, now looks like a complete waste. There is a player in there, that pass to Brownhill against Charlton will stay long in the memory. But looking at his previous loans (including the successful Huddersfield one); and there is obviously a reason that those clubs chose not to make it permanent.

Palmer could go down as our worst ever purchases(in terms of money spent); and it was all so needless, as it certainly wasn't a position that needed strengthening.

As you say @GrahamC, huge decision to make on him; and will snap the hands off any offer at the moment I reckon.

5 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

When we bought him, it reminded me a bit of the Thorpe/Sorenson/Akinbiyi saga from the 1999/00 season. We didn't need a player like him, with Szmodics and Paterson already in place. It's hardly as if he had set the world alight when he was on loan; unlike Tomlin. I bet Chelsea couldn't believe that a club was finally going to buy him.

The £3.5m we spent, now looks like a complete waste. There is a player in there, that pass to Brownhill against Charlton will stay long in the memory. But looking at his previous loans (including the successful Huddersfield one); and there is obviously a reason that those clubs chose not to make it permanent.

Palmer could go down as our worst ever purchases(in terms of money spent); and it was all so needless, as it certainly wasn't a position that needed strengthening.

As you say @GrahamC, huge decision to make on him; and will snap the hands off any offer at the moment I reckon.

What a perfectly succinct post.

I never fully understood why he was signed or why the club spent so much- I guess they saw it as an investment in a young Chelsea player with huge potential?

I can't see any reason why any club would now spend millions on KP let alone duplicate his wages which is why I see a loan as most likely. Good luck to the fella but  him playing in the reserves can't be seen as anything other than a negative.

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Problem with the press is everyone needs to press. Can’t have one person not doing it properly.  If Paterson doesn’t play then his replacement will be someone else who can do it 

If playing a high press then it starts from the front and Diedhiou is a weak point in that respect and the same for Martin. Weimann and Wells/Semenyo must be the favourites in that respect, but I've seen no signs at all of a high press this pre-season and in the last two games. Mind you, with the midfield all over the shop with Weimann in it, its hard to tell what the game plan is supposed to be. Hopefully, with some players back in training, we'll see a proper midfield from now on. 

I'd like to see Palmer get a start on Wednesday but being cup tied may not be a good idea - if he isn't on the pitch on Wednesday, he's off imo.

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Think it was Ashton rather than LJ who wanted him..

Not what I was told Graham - a typical LJ “I’m a great coach, man-manager, I can get the best out of him” signing like Tomlin.

It hasn’t worked out.

Holden said on Monday, Kasey had asked to see him about his future.  We can only assume, KP is one of those players that Dean wants to move on, following his non-selection yesterday.

The difficulty for prospective suitors will be the balance of fees and wages!

This is unlikely to end up as transfer profit in the current climate, so although I’d rather he goes permanently (if he goes), me might do a loan, and hope he does well to earn a better move next summer.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This is unlikely to end up as transfer profit in the current climate, so although I’d rather he goes permanently (if he goes), me might do a loan, and hope he does well to earn a better move next summer.

Agree. But who's going to sign him in the championship? He's done Huddersfield, Blackburn, us, and I cant see him wanting a league 1 loan.

10 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Agree. But who's going to sign him in the championship? He's done Huddersfield, Blackburn, us, and I cant see him wanting a league 1 loan.

You forgot Derby!!

Theres a few I suspect he’s still to try.  Preston about to lose Daniel Johnson for example.

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You forgot Derby!!

Theres a few I suspect he’s still to try.  Preston about to lose Daniel Johnson for example.

He's definitely a player who has relied on his Chelsea reputation for his agent to get him those loans.

KP is the type of luxury player, that will be a really difficult sell to clubs in these strange covid times. Big wages, and not particulary adaptable to different formations.

I can only see a heavily subsidised loan coming up in a leading L1 or one of the new championship teams.

1 hour ago, ncnsbcfc said:

He's definitely a player who has relied on his Chelsea reputation for his agent to get him those loans.

KP is the type of luxury player, that will be a really difficult sell to clubs in these strange covid times. Big wages, and not particulary adaptable to different formations.

I can only see a heavily subsidised loan coming up in a leading L1 or one of the new championship teams.

Think you are right.

As for those who think he will “thrive” elsewhere, how come he has ended up with us?

Blackburn had him on loan, Derby & Huddersfield too, no one else actually bought him, did they?

9 hours ago, Meh said:

Whilst I agree he cannot press as well and whilst I agree he will be most likely gone as early as this week, is he not the natural option WHEN Paterson loses his form which will happen -history has proven that?

Yes we will lose a bit of buzz in the press but Williams and Morrell as an example could be around him to make up the small short-fall on that front BUT we gain with improved accuracy and vision of pass to feet to Martin and Wells.

As said I think he will be off for sure but I would keep him as challenge to Paterson if we can afford to and keep him happy - which I doubt this would unfortunately.

Him and Paterson are similar but different.

One aspect I think makes Paterson quite useful to have is that he can pull wider ie left in some phases- he has played there before and that can be very important out of possession. Palmer, I don't have the same faith in- our left side can then be put at a significant disadvantage.

Team can become unbalanced, back 3 with wingbacks pushing on then can easily if not careful fall into a back 5 pinned back somewhat. Initiative ceded, problems begin.

That's before the obvious which is reservations about him dropping back into CM out of possession, be it work, be it natural or otherwise fit.

54 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think moving him on will be hindered by his wages. I reckon Championship clubs will be proposing a hefty cut.

Clubs especially outside the elite might have to be creative to move players on.

Loan, option to buy- wages partially covered now would be one way. Perhaps a loan fee as well, reduced in line with the wage contribution.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Clubs especially outside the elite might have to be creative to move players on.

Loan, option to buy- wages partially covered now would be one way. Perhaps a loan fee as well, reduced in line with the wage contribution.

Yeah that's the way to go ?

4 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Swansea were interested before he signed for us weren`t they?

Be interested to see how they play this season without Conor Gallagher.  Gibbs-White is a different midfielder (scored the winner yesterday).  I could still see them being interested though.

4 hours ago, mozo said:

I think moving him on will be hindered by his wages. I reckon Championship clubs will be proposing a hefty cut.

Will rule some clubs out, but still a few out there who would pay it.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You forgot Derby!!

DJ, our POTY, is signing for Rangers this week. Bournemouth have bid for Ben Davies. Both have less than a year left along with Alan Browne and Ben Pearson, our 4 best players.

Money brought in via sales doesn't affect the playing budget so I doubt we can afford someone like Palmer.

Zero signings made so far. Manager desperate to sign strikers. Only striker we've signed is Nugent who we didn't want. Worst set of STs in the league last season yet we haven't signed one.

Our first choice keeper is injured as well and the back up is awful. It's looking like a complete an utter mess.

The manager is sick to death of it and his post-match interview at the weekend was something to behold really.

30 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

DJ, our POTY, is signing for Rangers this week. Bournemouth have bid for Ben Davies. Both have less than a year left along with Alan Browne and Ben Pearson, our 4 best players.

Money brought in via sales doesn't affect the playing budget so I doubt we can afford someone like Palmer.

Zero signings made so far. Manager desperate to sign strikers. Only striker we've signed is Nugent who we didn't want. Worst set of STs in the league last season yet we haven't signed one.

Our first choice keeper is injured as well and the back up is awful. It's looking like a complete an utter mess.

The manager is sick to death of it and his post-match interview at the weekend was something to behold really.

Ouch. Can we play you soon please?!

Archived